+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a Canadian but my wife is non-Canadian, can she avoid the giving birth cost

bcrabbit

Dec 27, 2018
Hi,

I am a Canadian (immigrant) and I married a woman who is not. She is currently pregnant and has no insurance (BC). Do we pay the cost of giving birth in the hospital? how to avoid the cost?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don’t know the policy. Any insurance cover because I have msp.
She has no insurance and what is her status in Canada? (visitor? worker? student? out of status?)
Assuming that she is not in the process of getting her PR via your sponsorship, the child birth (and check-up before) will not be covered.
After the child is born, the baby has MSP coverage. (not sure the process of adding him/her to your MSP plan)

bcrabbit

Dec 27, 2018
She has no insurance and what is her status in Canada? (visitor? worker? student? out of status?)
Assuming that she is not in the process of getting her PR via your sponsorship, the child birth (and check-up before) will not be covered.
After the child is born, the baby has MSP coverage. (not sure the process of adding him/her to your MSP plan)

She is applying PR via my sponsorship but we havn't submitted the application yet. So I do not think she will get the insurance soon. I am not sure what to do.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
She is applying PR via my sponsorship but we havn't submitted the application yet. So I do not think she will get the insurance soon. I am not sure what to do.
pay out of your pocket is the only option. Or if she has coverage at her home country, she can go back and give birth back home.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When is she due? When are you planning on applying for sponsorship? It really wasn't smart to get pregnant without coverage.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Hi,
I am a Canadian (immigrant) and I married a woman who is not. She is currently pregnant and has no insurance (BC). Do we pay the cost of giving birth in the hospital? how to avoid the cost?
As a visitor to Canada she is not eligible for the government health insurance coverage. In BC, generally, she must either be a work permit holder, international student or a permanent resident in order to be eligible for MSP coverage. Also, since she is already pregnant, private insurance will not cover her child birth or pre-natal care expenses.

The only thing I can think of to minimize the cost of childbirth (apart from doing it yourself or having someone you know do it) is to use midwife's services at a local birth center (or at home if they provide such service). You can search the web and contact local midwives for a quote.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As a visitor to Canada she is not eligible for the government health insurance coverage. In BC, generally, she must either be a work permit holder, international student or a permanent resident in order to be eligible for MSP coverage. Also, since she is already pregnant, private insurance will not cover her child birth or pre-natal care expenses.
Not quite. A visitor who is being sponsored by their spouse can get MSP. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/health-drug-coverage/medical-services-plan/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In the case will depend on how fast they can get their application in and paid for and whether MSP waives the up to 3 month wait period, wants to wait for AOR, etc. Seems like MSP doesn't have firm policies on the issue.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In the case will depend on how fast they can get their application in and paid for and whether MSP waives the up to 3 month wait period, wants to wait for AOR, etc. Seems like MSP doesn't have firm policies on the issue.
They never waive the wait period.

Reactions: Elbagurl

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok waive might be the wrong term but it says that time spent in BC may be counted towards the up to 3 month wait period. Seems like situations are very individual.
Not sure what you mean. The person has to be in BC for the wait period to start.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on what you posted MSP waives the up to 3 month wait period because they have been in Canada for many months. Seems like that is up the MSP worker.