+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a Canada PR holder. Wanted to inquire about how my dependent mother can go with me?

Tajesvita

Nov 5, 2017
Hi there!

I have recently received PR for Canada. I know it is a news to rejoice but I am a bit worried too. Here's why:

Actually, I stay with my mother who is employed as a teacher in Delhi, India. It's just the two of us and I can't leave her alone here as she is 60 years old and I do not have any helpful relative who can take care of her for a few months till I am able to apply for her super visa after I spend time in Canada.

Can someone please guide me how can she go with me? I haven't decided my dates of flying because I first want to sort this out. I have a cousin brother staying with his family in British Columbia. He had also gone on a PR with his wife and two kids in 2016. This cousin is my mother's real aunt's grandson. That means my mother and his mother are second cousins. And my mom's bhua's (paternal aunt) daughter is my mom's cousin sister. He is ready to sponsor my mom on tourist visa for 6 months post which I will apply for her super visa. So, I want to know can that cousin sponsor my mom?

How can I go about the process? Is there an alternate for taking dependent mother along with? Any provisions by the Canadian government to offer help in such a case? Obviously, I can't leave my mom stranded here in India. And believe me, I have spent years to see this dream of mine of going abroad becoming a reality. Have led a very basic life, saved most of my salary money, and really burned my blood and sweat to reach here. So, if anyone can guide me how to put my savings to her benefit, it would be a great help! I can't stay away from her and so can't she.

Thanks
Tajesvita
Email id: misstchopra23@yahoo.in

asainarayana

Oct 5, 2017
Hi there!

I have recently received PR for Canada. I know it is a news to rejoice but I am a bit worried too. Here's why:

Actually, I stay with my mother who is employed as a teacher in Delhi, India. It's just the two of us and I can't leave her alone here as she is 60 years old and I do not have any helpful relative who can take care of her for a few months till I am able to apply for her super visa after I spend time in Canada.

Can someone please guide me how can she go with me? I haven't decided my dates of flying because I first want to sort this out. I have a cousin brother staying with his family in British Columbia. He had also gone on a PR with his wife and two kids in 2016. This cousin is my mother's real aunt's grandson. That means my mother and his mother are second cousins. And my mom's bhua's (paternal aunt) daughter is my mom's cousin sister. He is ready to sponsor my mom on tourist visa for 6 months post which I will apply for her super visa. So, I want to know can that cousin sponsor my mom?

How can I go about the process? Is there an alternate for taking dependent mother along with? Any provisions by the Canadian government to offer help in such a case? Obviously, I can't leave my mom stranded here in India. And believe me, I have spent years to see this dream of mine of going abroad becoming a reality. Have led a very basic life, saved most of my salary money, and really burned my blood and sweat to reach here. So, if anyone can guide me how to put my savings to her benefit, it would be a great help! I can't stay away from her and so can't she.

Thanks
Tajesvita
Yes options there through supervisa
Your mother will get easily no need to worry about that

Reactions: Tajesvita

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi there!

Thanks
Tajesvita
Hi,

Guess you have not landed as yet.

You're going to have to make a really tough decision where you will have to stay apart from your mom for a few/several months. As much as you would like your mom to accompany you to Canada, it will not be possible.

Your relatives or you cannot *sponsor* your mom for a TRV which is a visitor visa intended for short stays. Sponsorship is possible only for super visas and PGP PR (now through a lottery system). You/your relatives can only invite your mom for a short visit as a visitor.

If your mom applies for a TRV, she must declare you as her daughter in the Family Information form. This would lead the visa officer to believe that your mom is moving long-term with you as a pseudo-PR.... which would lead to a TRV refusal.

Even if your Canadian relatives provide an invitation letter, a visit of 6 months indicates weak ties to India = High possibility of a TRV refusal.

There is no other visa which would allow your mom to live in Canada for a long-term except for:
1. Super visa: You must prove that you meet LICO i.e. income limits required for a super visa, buy insurance coverage of minimum CAD 100,000, etc, or

2. PGP sponsorship (PR): If your mom is lucky to be selected through the lottery system. BTW you can apply for PGP only after you meet LICO + 30% for three years preceding the date of the application

Regardless of a super visa or a TRV, your mom must demonstrate that she has strong reasons to return to India. With her dependence on you as her only child/only family, this will be a huge challenge because her family ties to Canada will outweigh those to India which increases the chances of a visa refusal.

As your mom is 60 years, I guess she is close to retirement would further reduce her employment ties to India from a visa perspective.

Also, 60 years is not considered as old especially for someone who is employed.

If your mom is in good health then she would be able to manage on her own. Most activities can be managed online right from paying utility bills to grocery shopping/home delivery to booking a cab for commuting within your city, etc etc. And, even you can do this online on behalf of your mom

Truly sorry but there's no other workable solution at this point in time except for you and your mom to accept reality that you will have to stay apart for some months

Cheers

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You've been given good advice above. The short answer is that there is no provision that allows your mother to immigrate with you. Canadian immigration rules do not classify her as a dependent and therefore she cannot migrate with you.

All she can do at this time is apply to visit you temporarily. This does not allow her to move to Canada - but only stay for a period of time after which she would have to return home. To be approved for a visitor visa - she will have to demonstrate very strong ties to her home country and prove she has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. She can apply for a regular visitor visa now. Or wait until you are in Canada and are making sufficient income to sponsor her on a super visa which will allow a longer visit.

As explained above, it will be at least four years from the time you reach Canada before you will qualify to sponsor your mother for permanent residency.

You should assume that over the next several years, there will be periods of time (potentially long periods of time) where you mother has to remain in her home country while you live in Canada. Assuming you properly researched Canadian immigration processes before applying, this should come as no surprise to you.