12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hello,

I recently changed H1B employers and received a new I-797 notice with a new I-94 card. I have a valid H1 visa till 2020. I plan on crossing over to Canada via the Detroit/Windsor border using my passport and COPR.

1.) It is my understanding that I will not face US officials upon my exit. If this is true, then where do I turn in my I-94 card so that my departure can be recorded?

2.) Will there be any issues on re-entry to the US using the visa stamp with my old employer information? I plan on taking my new I-797 with me (plus paystubs, employment letter from current employer).

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1.) It is my understanding that I will not face US officials upon my exit. If this is true, then where do I turn in my I-94 card so that my departure can be recorded?
People that export car from USA to Canada visit CBP on USA side for export formalities before crossing border. You can check if you can go to nearest CBP post on your way out of USA and surrender/deposit your I-94.

Another option could be to send I-94 with proof of USA exit using below process.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94

Reactions: VOBuckeye

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
People that export car from USA to Canada visit CBP on USA side for export formalities before crossing border. You can check if you can go to nearest CBP post on your way out of USA and surrender/deposit your I-94.

Another option could be to send I-94 with proof of USA exit using below process.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94
Thanks so much for the useful link.
I'm assuming once I start commuting daily between US/Canada I will get a different I-94?

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
A new I-94 will not be generated when you go to Canada / Mexico / adjacent island(For F & J visa holders). It will be considered as a contiguous territory under the NAFTA program.

I went over the article from the CBP website and it says this: "If taking short trips (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands during the course of your visit to the U.S., hold onto your I-94 or I-94 (W); it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home."

Lets say, a person is making a landing in Canada from the U.S and wanted to return back to the U.S with an expired visa and a valid I-94(Available at the bottom of an approved I-797A). When leaving the U.S, as per the statement given above in blue, we need to hand over the I-94 portion to record our departure.

I was wondering how would we return back to the U.S after completing landing in Canada in such a scenario using the Automatic Revalidation of Visa program outlined here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/automatic-revalidation.html. This article says a person will be admitted if we have a paper form of I-94. The person who left the U.S would've already handed over it to the CBP official at the border when going to Canada. How will that person have a paper form of I-94 ? o_O

Or Is it something like, since its a contiguous territory, I need not record my departure from the U.S and need to show my I-94 in the I-797/I-797A bottom portion only when I return back from Canada ?

Last edited:

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
A new I-94 will not be generated when you go to Canada / Mexico / adjacent island(For F & J visa holders). It will be considered as a contiguous territory under the NAFTA program.

I went over the article from the CBP website and it says this: "If taking short trips (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands during the course of your visit to the U.S., hold onto your I-94 or I-94 (W); it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home."

Lets say, a person is making a landing in Canada from the U.S and wanted to return back to the U.S with an expired visa and a valid I-94(Available at the bottom of an approved I-797A). When leaving the U.S, as per the statement given above in blue, we need to hand over the I-94 portion to record our departure.

I was wondering how would we return back to the U.S after completing landing in Canada in such a scenario using the Automatic Revalidation of Visa program outlined here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/automatic-revalidation.html. This article says a person will be admitted if we have a paper form of I-94. The person who left the U.S would've already handed over it to the CBP official at the border when going to Canada. How will that person have a paper form of I-94 ? o_O

Or Is it something like, since its a contiguous territory, I need not record my departure from the U.S and need to show my I-94 in the I-797/I-797A bottom portion only when I return back from Canada ?
Hi,
I'm not sure about your query on I-94 and the AVR rule. Maybe you could mention to the US officials upon exit that you intend to return using AVR rule and ask if you should hold on to the I-94? will you be crossing by road or air?
I plan on crossing over by land just for a few hours and come back. I'll ask about the I-94 and post my experience on here.

Reactions: bluehorse

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017

Ok, my guess is everything is now electronic so you wouldn't need your paper I-94.
I made a trip over the weekend using the Detroit-Windsor tunnel without issues. I paid the toll then drove ahead to the Canadian immigration side and he asked me a few questions and let me in. I used my passport and COPR as I have not received my PR card yet. I did not have to give up my I-94. Was in Canada for a few hours.

Coming back to US- A few questions like where I work and what I do. I then asked the official about I-94 card and told him that there was no one to give it upon exit. Looked at it and said I was ok and gave it back to me.
Checked I-94 online and my exit/entry was recorded.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Ok, my guess is everything is now electronic so you wouldn't need your paper I-94.
I made a trip over the weekend using the Detroit-Windsor tunnel without issues. I paid the toll then drove ahead to the Canadian immigration side and he asked me a few questions and let me in. I used my passport and COPR as I have not received my PR card yet. I did not have to give up my I-94. Was in Canada for a few hours.

Coming back to US- A few questions like where I work and what I do. I then asked the official about I-94 card and told him that there was no one to give it upon exit. Looked at it and said I was ok and gave it back to me.
So you mean to say since its electronic, we need not manually register our departure from the U.S(Which means the statement mentioned in CBP website "it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home" is outdated). Did you happen to have a valid stamped visa available or you traveled with a valid passport only with an expired H-1B & I-94(on the passport) and an approved I-797 or I-797A with I-94 at the bottom portion ?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
So you mean to say since its electronic, we need not manually register our departure from the U.S(Which means the statement mentioned in CBP website "it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home" is outdated). Did you happen to have a valid stamped visa available or you traveled with a valid passport only with an expired H-1B & I-94(on the passport) and an approved I-797 or I-797A with I-94 at the bottom portion ?
I would call DHS to verify about manually recording your departure. I'm guessing since they scan the passport, it captures all your information in their database.
I have a valid passport and H1B visa stamped in Oct. Since I just recently switched employers, I took my new I-797 notice with the I-94 (new number after transfer). I handed it to the US official upon my return and he handed it back. If I were to fly out of the country on my next trip, I would definitely hand it over to the airline.

rix_08

Feb 12, 2018

is the detroit windsor tunnel border port of entry for AVR open 24/7 7 days a week. At what time / day did you re enter using automatic revalidation?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
is the detroit windsor tunnel border port of entry for AVR open 24/7 7 days a week. At what time / day did you re enter using automatic revalidation?
Right now they're doing construction in the tunnel so its closed at night 8pm to 5.30 am. This is only Mondays to Thursdays as they do repairs. It's open 24/7 over the weekend.

I did not use AVR as I had a valid H1B visa

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Your land entry to Canada/US will be recorded as an exit from the other country if you are not a US or Canadian citizen. The I-94 website may or may not have the complete record, but you can be sure that the CBP knows whether you have left the country (if you enter Canada through a land.border).

Currently, Canada and the U.S. exchange biographic entry information on third-country nationals (non U.S. or Canadian citizens), permanent residents of Canada who are not U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents of the U.S. who are not Canadian citizens at land ports of entry.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/ebsiip-asfipi-eng.html
I believe CBP records every air departure from the United States (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm not sure how complete CBSA exit record would be.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
get a NEXUS card if you can. It auto records both entry and exit on the US CBSA website when you scan it on the border gates.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Did you get your questions answered? if not then pm me...

Thank you! I think it was kinda answered. I still have my I-94 that came with the new I-797 notice. I have been commuting since April with no issues.