+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hypothetical question: polygamy and immigration to Canada

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

I believe polygamy is outlawed in Canada. But there are some countries where you can have a lot of fun, legally. For instance, if you are a citizen of Pakistan or subject of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, you are legally allowed to have up to four wives (that's a lot of night time fun until dawn, if you think about it, and totally legal).

Question is: if such person, who is legally married to four wives, decided to immigrate to Canada, could he gain legal PR status in Canada for himself?
And how would he fill out the immigration application? Would he have to divorce three wives before applying for PR status? Or, include only one wife as PR co-applicant and list three others, to be left behind?

Just curious.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I believe polygamy is outlawed in Canada. But there are some countries where you can have a lot of fun, legally. For instance, if you are a citizen of Pakistan or subject of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, you are legally allowed to have up to four wives (that's a lot of night time fun until dawn, if you think about it, and totally legal).

Question is: if such person, who is legally married to four wives, decided to immigrate to Canada, could he gain legal PR status in Canada for himself?
And how would he fill out the immigration application? Would he have to divorce three wives before applying for PR status? Or, include only one wife as PR co-applicant and list three others, to be left behind?

Just curious.
We see these questions in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum from time to time.

The answer is if someone in that situation wants to immigrate to Canada, Canada will only recognize the first wife - and that wife would need to be included in the application as a dependent. The husband and first wife can immigration to Canada. The other three wiives will not be recognized as spouses by Canada and cannot be included in the application as dependents (and so would be left behind). No, he would not have to divorce the three other wives. Canada simply wouldn't recognize those marriages as legal.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
We see these questions in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum from time to time.

The answer is if someone in that situation wants to immigrate to Canada, Canada will only recognize the first wife - and that wife would need to be included in the application as a dependent. The husband and first wife can immigration to Canada. The other three wiives will not be recognized as spouses by Canada and cannot be included in the application as dependents (and so would be left behind). No, he would not have to divorce the three other wives. Canada simply wouldn't recognize those marriages as legal.
So, applicant would have to travel home to consume marriage with three wives left behind, and then return to Canada to primary wife recognized as such by CIC. Up to three years can be spent with three wives abroad, and then two years with first wife in Canada. Not bad if one has means to travel back and forth. Good excuse not to deal with all four wives simultaneously, and also stay with smaller part of the family for some time. And I assume the remaining three wives could also travel to Canada with TRV?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, applicant would have to travel home to consume marriage with three wives left behind, and then return to Canada to primary wife recognized as such by CIC. Up to three years can be spent with three wives abroad, and then two years with first wife in Canada. Not bad if one has means to travel back and forth. Good excuse not to deal with all four wives simultaneously, and also stay with smaller part of the family for some time. And I assume the remaining three wives could also travel to Canada with TRV?
The three remaining wives could apply for TRVs but would likely find it challenging to be approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Just curious.
Not pro-polygamy but referring to polygamy as fun in the context of countries where men can have multiple wives shows your lack of understanding of the whole situation.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Not pro-polygamy but referring to polygamy as fun in the context of countries where men can have multiple wives shows your lack of understanding of the whole situation.
Well, spending a night with four women , and legally so with no one daring to judge, is certainly a good deal of fun that no sincere man would deny liking.
Dealing with four women during the waking hours is a whole different story, and could be very stressful and difficult to manage affair, aside from material costs which will prove prohibitive to great majority of men who earn just enough to sustain themselves.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, spending a night with four women , and legally so with no one daring to judge, is certainly a good deal of fun that no sincere man would deny liking.
Dealing with four women during the waking hours is a whole different story, and could be very stressful and difficult to manage affair, aside from material costs which will prove prohibitive to great majority of men who earn just enough to sustain themselves.
Yet again showing your lack of understanding.

Reactions: Major2710

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I think you’ll find that polygamous marriages in the countries you mentioned require that the husband supply the same level of attention and accommodation to each wife, along with the approvals of each wife for the new marriage. They don’t All shack up in one house with a big orgy room for an activities night. Polygamy in those countries isn’t meant as a means to satisfy your over active imagination.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
I think you’ll find that polygamous marriages in the countries you mentioned require that the husband supply the same level of attention and accommodation to each wife, along with the approvals of each wife for the new marriage. They don’t All shack up in one house with a big orgy room for an activities night. Polygamy in those countries isn’t meant as a means to satisfy your over active imagination.
If a man lawfully wed to four women decided to have what you define as an "orgy", what would have stopped him? Do you have surveillance camera in every bedroom of those men to assert that such an "orgy" can't or doesn't happen? I put "orgy" in quotation marks, because I consider it just a fun, which is also lawfully sanctioned in those countries.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If a man lawfully wed to four women decided to have what you define as an "orgy", what would have stopped him? Do you have surveillance camera in every bedroom of those men to assert that such an "orgy" can't or doesn't happen? I put "orgy" in quotation marks, because I consider it just a fun, which is also lawfully sanctioned in those countries.
Ummm....Islamic law....but then you’ll have to be halfway enlightened to understand something that your simplistic views have perverted.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Ummm....Islamic law....but then you’ll have to be halfway enlightened to understand something that your simplistic views have perverted.

You are changing the subject. here is what I replied to:
They don’t All shack up in one house with a big orgy room for an activities night. Polygamy in those countries isn’t meant as a means to satisfy your over active imagination.
I asked, how do you know? And what would stop a man lawfully wed to four wives from doing so? Do they have "orgy police" installed in each man's bedroom there?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You are changing the subject. here is what I replied to:

I asked, how do you know? And what would stop a man lawfully wed to four wives from doing so? Do they have "orgy police" installed in each man's bedroom there?
I’ve lived in several of those countries. And they do police it, although not extensively. The wives do have rights as well, and it often involves their permission. Perhaps a move to Utah is in your future.....

Reactions: Copingwithlife