+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hyphenated words in IELTS listening.

Aitha

Star Member
Jul 5, 2018
Toronto
Category........
In confusion, I have written "sky-scraper" instead of "skyscraper", in IELTS listening where I had to answer with "One Word Only". The same happened with "sunlight", for which I entered "sun-light".
Are these answers considered wrong?

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
In confusion, I have written "sky-scraper" instead of "skyscraper", in IELTS listening where I had to answer with "One Word Only". The same happened with "sunlight", for which I entered "sun-light".
Are these answers considered wrong?
Here is the word:
Generally, hyphenate two or more words when they come before a noun they modify and act as a single idea. This is called a compound adjective. When a compound adjective follows a noun, a hyphen is usually not necessary. However, some established compound adjectives are always hyphenated.
“Airport” is an example of a closed form compound word. The two words are joined together without a hyphen or a space. Some other examples of closed form compound words include: Baseball.GOOGLE
To my North American eyes the words you have shown are best non-hyphenated. If I was marking it I would say all the ones you have hyphenated would get a negative mark. If we are talking normal usage.

Last edited:

Aitha

Star Member
Jul 5, 2018
Toronto
Category........
Thank you visa test.
I do not know what was running in my mind at that moment, that I made such a silly mistake.
In general, I always get an 8.5 band in listening. I hope these two mistakes of mine do not get be below 8.