+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband visiting canada

Ilovehim

Sep 13, 2008
Hello, My husband and I are in the proccess of getting our paper work done, but I want him to come and visit while we are waiting for it. If you straight up tell the imigration officer that, will they allow that? My husband is from the USA as resident and not a citizen, would that make it more hard? Or should we lie and say he is just visiting for 2 weeks and keep him here until it goes through? I have heard so much stories of people visiting and the imigration officer give them a hard time and send them back, any idea of what he should say or do? Thanks guys!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ilovehim said:
Hello, My husband and I are in the proccess of getting our paper work done, but I want him to come and visit while we are waiting for it. If you straight up tell the imigration officer that, will they allow that? My husband is from the USA as resident and not a citizen, would that make it more hard? Or should we lie and say he is just visiting for 2 weeks and keep him here until it goes through? I have heard so much stories of people visiting and the imigration officer give them a hard time and send them back, any idea of what he should say or do? Thanks guys!
If you lie it is not good.
If found out, in extreme cases individulas can be banned from entering Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ilovehim said:
so it would be okay if he say he is staying for 5 months.?
He can say what he wants, the issue is that he is a visitor.
As a visitor he needs to meet all the requirements laid out by CIC. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp
He cannot "move' to Canada and he cannot work.

I was 100% truthful with the IO when I came into Canada, I was already married to my Canadian wife and I am from a visa exempt country.

That does not mean there is a 100% guarantee of entry for everyone, each case is different.

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since he is a resident of US, it will be for hes best interest to say
he is just visiting for a couple weeks rather than telling stories about
PR. He can just say he is visiting her girlfriend... bcos if he say anything
about hes PR since is still in process,it is likely they will refuse him from
entering.
Note: Visit should always be Visit no too much stories....

Ilovehim

Sep 13, 2008
AH i just called the imigration call center, it looks like my proccess is going to be delay :( His FBI finger print document is expired, we have to re do it. I am think he can just come to visit. Can he just say he is visiting his wife for 2 weeks? Will he hound him on it? this is really stressfull!!!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ilovehim said:
AH i just called the imigration call center, it looks like my proccess is going to be delay :( His FBI finger print document is expired, we have to re do it. I am think he can just come to visit. Can he just say he is visiting his wife for 2 weeks? Will he hound him on it? this is really stressfull!!!
Why would you think they would "hound him".

If the application has been submitted (this was not clear in your OP) then it is highly likely that the IO will know this anyway.

So truthful is the best path.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
Is your hubby from the visa exempt country? I am curious..even he's a resident of the States it doesn't mean he's visa exempt. (correct me if I am wrong)

As for your inquiries..in my opinion, only answer the questions IO asks..nothing more, nothing less. If IO asks "how long are you planning on to stay?" well, tell him your plan to stay for a couple of weeks..the plan can change and it is okay but I would not put myself in a bad place by spilling all the plans I can have (like he is going to stay in Canada during the PR process...I fear he will be turned away ). So plan to come in for 2 weeks and if he decides to stay longer then apply for the extention. I mean things can change..the plans can change if you know what I mean.

Make sure he is prepared to provide all the ties to prove that he IS going home after the visit. If he's driving, it is wise to show the proof of the ownership of the vehicle in case they want to see it (which I highly doubt they would ask but you never know). However long it is the stay, they want to know he is going home in the end and not stay there without the valid status in Canada. Good luck let us know what happens!!

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
I'm visiting for a week (leaving this Friday) and my application is in process.

I am going to bring my last pay stubs, a receipt of the application, a bank statement, and if my human resources can write a letter today or tomorrow that I am on a planned vacation.

We'll see how it goes....

Ilovehim

Sep 13, 2008
My problem is that he does not have a job at the moment. I am afraid if they ask him what he does for a living and he said nothing they might think he has no intend to return. My husband is from Vietnam, but hes been a resident for over 30 years (don't know why he didn't' apply for citizenship), he also have a travel document to allow him to leave the US and return. He is buying a return ticket and travel insurance for the time he is staying. I remember I went to the US one time and they held me back in that back room, I am not even sure why they even made me sign this forum making sure I return on a certain date or I will be banned from the US. There are times when I visit it is easy to go in and out, but many times they give me a hard time. But really I have nothing to hide. My husband don't have anything to hide, but I don't know why it always get me nervous when going there. My husband does have a daughter i think that is good ties to go back.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
210045803 said:
I'm visiting for a week (leaving this Friday) and my application is in process.

I am going to bring my last pay stubs, a receipt of the application, a bank statement, and if my human resources can write a letter today or tomorrow that I am on a planned vacation.

We'll see how it goes....
Good luck on the trip, let us know what transpires.

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
Baloo said:
Good luck on the trip, let us know what transpires.
Hi Baloo I have successfully entered Canada with little questioning. The officer did ask why I came and I said just visiting. He asked who I said family. He asked who I said wife. He said who is moving where I said me to Canada through outbound. He asked if I was working I said yes. (I had my bank statement, last 2 paychecks, copy of my car insurance) but they asked to see nothing. He trusted my word and I went through very easily. Not even secondary inspection. BTW I don't know if it matters but YTO airport flying through porter I've had easy crossings not sure if it is just luck.

Good luck to anyone traveling. I feel like I got stressed out over nothing...just remember don't act shady, don't bring your life belongings and always tell the truth.

Ilovehim

Sep 13, 2008
he is not nervous just me, probably over react over nothing! Hopefully all goes swell! Thanks some reason I feel a little better with your guys suport!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
210045803 said:
Hi Baloo I have successfully entered Canada with little questioning. The officer did ask why I came and I said just visiting. He asked who I said family. He asked who I said wife. He said who is moving where I said me to Canada through outbound. He asked if I was working I said yes. (I had my bank statement, last 2 paychecks, copy of my car insurance) but they asked to see nothing. He trusted my word and I went through very easily. Not even secondary inspection. BTW I don't know if it matters but YTO airport flying through porter I've had easy crossings not sure if it is just luck.

Good luck to anyone traveling. I feel like I got stressed out over nothing...just remember don't act shady, don't bring your life belongings and always tell the truth.
You can bet that if you had not carried all that stuff with you, they would have sent you to secondary :)

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
Baloo said:
You can bet that if you had not carried all that stuff with you, they would have sent you to secondary :)
lol...yea doesn't it seem when you are prepared you never need anything...when you aren't it is when they grill you and pull you into secondary...i guess just always be prepared then you will never get pulled into secondary :D