+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband PR holder- Wife in India

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
ok then probably we will apply under express entry only. That seems to be a better option.

One more thing, our marriage is not registered yet (as in we havent taken the marriage certificate from govt.) and we still have our maiden name in her all the documents.
Can we apply her as single (to avoid hassles of getting the name & address changed from all the documents)?
This process itself will take another 1 or 2 months to get the names changed.

Then we can marry after going there in court or something. What say?
You cannot apply for her as single. This would be misrepresentation.
I do not know what the process is and the documents you need for EE so can't help with the other questions.

Ciciab74

Feb 7, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, we are exploring all the options and got suggestions also from helping people of this forum.
But, only thing is we don't want to live apart separately for 12 months and even on tourist visa (if we get) as she has her career and need to work there.
Thats why not able to go.
If it would have been 3 - 4 months, would have gone by now.
Hi there!
My situation is similar to yours: my husband is a PR and is sponsoring me. I'm currently in Brazil. Our application was submitted in October 2017 - my timeline is on my signature.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ok then probably we will apply under express entry only. That seems to be a better option.

One more thing, our marriage is not registered yet (as in we havent taken the marriage certificate from govt.) and we still have our maiden name in her all the documents.
Can we apply her as single (to avoid hassles of getting the name & address changed from all the documents)?
This process itself will take another 1 or 2 months to get the names changed.

Then we can marry after going there in court or something. What say?
You probably don't need to get her name changed for immigration purposes. Canada does not require that married women change their name. In fact, in Quebec, you can't even do it.

You just need formal proof of a marriage that is legal both in your country and Canada.

Reactions: malikjatin

malikjatin

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
You probably don't need to get her name changed for immigration purposes. Canada does not require that married women change their name. In fact, in Quebec, you can't even do it.

You just need formal proof of a marriage that is legal both in your country and Canada.
No, but the thing is, In india when you get your marriage registered, you mention the address of groom as your current address, however, in all her documents, including passport, there is old address.
Same with name, new last name is mentioned on marriage certificate.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
So, should we go ahead as single for faster processing, or show her married?
You cannot say on an immigration form that she is single if she is married. If you do that, and it is found out by IRCC that she is married, she could be accused of misrepresentation, her PR status revoked, and be banned from entering Canada for a number of years.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
So, should we go ahead as single for faster processing, or show her married?
When you say you havent got your marriage certificates, do you also mean that you both havent been married (in a relegious way / registrar's office) and didnt have any party or function as well ?!

Name change is not at all a thing to worry. Your wife can keep her maiden name. Thats not a problem. And I dont understand why you have to change your name ?!

And for stating as single : That's misrepresentation and will be penalized.

So, As many have already advised you, first task you need to do is, get yourselves to Canada, before your own RO becomes a question. If officers report you for not meeting RO, then even if your spouse gets PR on EE, you may have to be end up running to get yours confirmed. So, travel to Canada. Your wife can then apply for Express Entry (with a prof job -> which implies 3+ years post secondary education, and 7-8 IELTS, and you being a PR and educated, i hope she could have a strong point level of EE).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Oh! btw you need to return and stay in Canada to meet your residency obligation. To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-years
And the days start counting from you landing date. (Nov '15)
The PR card has nothing to do with your PR status. And the expiry date on the card only mean for validity of using card which will allow you to travel by air.

dreamcanadalife

Nov 13, 2017
I just got PR and am about to get married. If i want to sponsor my spouse then my question is that in case of spousal sponsorship do I have to come back to Canada to sponsor her or I can remain in my own country to do that ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just got PR and am about to get married. If i want to sponsor my spouse then my question is that in case of spousal sponsorship do I have to come back to Canada to sponsor her or I can remain in my own country to do that ?
No - you cannot remain in your own country. You must return to Canada to sponsor your spouse. Additionally, you must remain in Canada while the application is being processed. You can take occasional short (2-3 week) trips outside of Canada - but the majority of your time must be spent living in Canada in order for the application to be approved.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As a PR, you have to stay in Canada to sponsor your spouse. When you said you got PR, do you mean that you have landed?

dreamcanadalife

Nov 13, 2017
No - you cannot remain in your own country. You must return to Canada to sponsor your spouse. Additionally, you must remain in Canada while the application is being processed. You can take occasional short (2-3 week) trips outside of Canada - but the majority of your time must be spent living in Canada in order for the application to be approved.
Thank you for your reply.
So if I don't come to Canada to sponsor her, can she consider taking the express entry route after marriage or is it mandatory for her to be sponsored ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
So if I don't come to Canada to sponsor her, can she consider taking the express entry route after marriage or is it mandatory for her to be sponsored ?
If she qualify on her own with express entry, she can apply it herself.
It's not mandatory for her to apply via spousal sponsorship.