+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband is a convention refugee. Can l get a visitor visa for my mom?

Parla

Feb 2, 2019
Why you considering yourself a refugee ? If your husband sponsord you ! You can visit your home country ? Did you apply for refugee status ? Or he ? Then he included you in his app ? If yes then you can visit your country you are not a refugee
I changed my mind and wanted to visit my family in my home country as you advised. However, my visa on the passport expired. I contacted our immigration consultant for help to extend it to reenter Canada. And she advised that l can’t go to my home country at this stage or even after l got my PR. I didn’t make a refugee claim just applied as dependent. Is that really true? I am very confused. Thank you

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I changed my mind and wanted to visit my family in my home country as you advised. However, my visa on the passport expired. I contacted our immigration consultant for help to extend it to reenter Canada. And she advised that l can’t go to my home country at this stage or even after l got my PR. I didn’t make a refugee claim just applied as dependent. Is that really true? I am very confused. Thank you
I think whoever told you that you can’t go back to your home country was wrong because you are the dependent of the principal applicant for a refugee claim.

Parla

Feb 2, 2019
I think whoever told you that you can’t go back to your home country was wrong because you are the dependent of the principal applicant for a refugee claim.
Thank you for your reply. Would you know how l can extend the visa on the passport? Currently l hold an open work permit but my visa on the passport has expired last year.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Thank you for your reply. Would you know how l can extend the visa on the passport? Currently l hold an open work permit but my visa on the passport has expired last year.
I don’t wanna misdirect you because I’m not sure, I hope someone can help you.

dammy 01

Jun 27, 2017
So you have no threat in your home country and it's safe for you to visit? On what grounds are you seeking protection from Canada? Being part of a refugee application generally will mean you face the same threats as family of the principal applicant but if you are able to travel then no such threat exists. Refugee programs probably are the most abused things in Western nations.
I think you have a taken an unfair position on this matter. She had mentioned earlier that she had a student visa then she got married to a convention refugee, which she applied for PR under her spouse. Besides that, being a dependant of a convention refugee applying for PR does not make the person a refugee and should be able to return to home country unlike the principal applicant.

Reactions: Parla

Parla

Feb 2, 2019
That is a very sad approach. I did not make a claim and seek for protection. I came to do my master’s degree in a proper way, paying all my fees and doing everything legally. After 2 years l met my husband. It is life you love someone and you marry, right? You do whatever is needed for your loved ones. Then we got married. After he had his court and passed the court. When he needed to apply the lawyer told ua it is a must to include me to his application as we are married. My husband was definitely in danger. He was kidnapped and tortured many times. All his family was sent to prison and as they did not find anything to put him, they were keeping him illegally. It was a big fortune he could arrive Canada alive. That’s very heartbreaking how people can be cruel without any knowledge. I think you don’t know about anything about the process. He passed the court with no question because everything was well proved. Even the judge knew the incidents happened to his family by press. But you are more judge obviously. I am from different region meanwhile. And l want to see my family after years as they are old if there is any possibility. I am in danger if they find out to whom l am married. That’s why l am seeking for help not trying to abuse the system.

Parla

Feb 2, 2019
I think you have a taken an unfair position on this matter. She had mentioned earlier that she had a student visa then she got married to a convention refugee, which she applied for PR under her spouse. Besides that, being a dependant of a convention refugee applying for PR does not make the person a refugee and should be able to return to home country unlike the principal applicant.
Thank you very much. I just cannot stop crying some people are very mean. It is unfair that good people are suffering and some can talk like this

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hello,

My husband is a convention refugee. I was a student when we got married and then l applied PR under Protected Person as his dependent. Now, l hold an open work permit, again l obtained it as his spouse. We had a baby last year and l would like to invite my mom to visit us. My father still works and won’t be coming. And she has a property under her name. My father will sponsor her. She can prove her ties. Only l need to get a visitor visa for my mother. Is that possible? Or it would be refused as l have an application under Protected Person. Also would it affect my PR application even to try to invite her? Thank you
If I was in your place I would give it a try, worst case scenario is that she'll get a refusal. I've seen a few instances where family members of refugees are able to obtain a visitor or even a study visa. Just try to prove to immigration on your application that she has something to return to. Provide papers proving her possessions (property, land, or you can even include a car). And if her husband will be staying home, maybe she'll even have better chances and she has family to return to. Gather as much papers as possible and submit an application. Don't anyone bring you down.

Good luck!

Parla

Feb 2, 2019
If I was in your place I would give it a try, worst case scenario is that she'll get a refusal. I've seen a few instances where family members of refugees are able to obtain a visitor or even a study visa. Just try to prove to immigration on your application that she has something to return to. Provide papers proving her possessions (property, land, or you can even include a car). And if her husband will be staying home, maybe she'll even have better chances and she has family to return to. Gather as much papers as possible and submit an application. Don't anyone bring you down.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot. Yes l will try to apply for her as her representative when they provide me all the papers. But also l was trying to have another plan if she gets refused. That’s why l seeked for other options. Thank you hopefully l can see her even just for a week.

Reactions: sss12345

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
So you have no threat in your home country and it's safe for you to visit? On what grounds are you seeking protection from Canada? Being part of a refugee application generally will mean you face the same threats as family of the principal applicant but if you are able to travel then no such threat exists. Refugee programs probably are the most abused things in Western nations.
Don’t judge people based on your thinking, now I think you need to apologize to her & not judge anyone.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Don’t judge people based on your thinking, now I think you need to apologize to her & not judge anyone.
He was giving his own opinion, and was not judging. However, by you posting your reply, you were in affect judging him. And yes, some people do agree with his comments, SOME, not all, do abuse the refugee system. That is why there is a system to weed out those that do not have a realistic claim for refuge. Just because someone makes a claim for refuge, does not make them a refugee.