+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband has kids from previous relationship-will this be an issue?

ilovepvr

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
mexico city
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
Hello,

My husband has kids from a previous relationship. I am the Canadian Sponsor. He is Mexican living in Mexico. The kids are with their mother in California, He does not pay any child support and they are not dependent on him and in full care of their mother and their stepdad.
They will not be sponsored to come to Canada and we are aware that if we don't include them we cannot decide to do so in the future.

My question is.... will they still look at my income because he has kids? I make a decent living and can support myself and him, but if they are going to look at my income and see if I could support 3 kids....I dont think they will approve it.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, so no, it will not matter what your income is even if there were accompanying dependants.

what i can tell you for sure is that there are many applicants who have experienced delays in processing because of non-accompanying dependants. For some, it's even led to an interview. CIC takes it very seriously.

ilovepvr

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
mexico city
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
what i can tell you for sure is that there are many applicants who have experienced delays in processing because of non-accompanying dependants. For some, it's even led to an interview. CIC takes it very seriously.
Even if the kids are in full custody of the other parent? The kids live in california and he has not even seen them in 3 years. He has a good relationship with the kids mother, as do I (facebook and phone relationship, have not met in person yet but I will visit his Kids on a trip to California in a few months)
But the kids are not dependent on him for anything.
hmm.. damn. Sucks for us i guess! :(

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ilovepvr said:
Even if the kids are in full custody of the other parent? The kids live in california and he has not even seen them in 3 years. He has a good relationship with the kids mother, as do I (facebook and phone relationship, have not met in person yet but I will visit his Kids on a trip to California in a few months)
But the kids are not dependent on him for anything.
hmm.. damn. Sucks for us i guess! :(
i can't say for sure what's going to happen. it of course depends on the specific situation, as none are the same. it could be straight forward and no issue, as i'm sure there are plenty of stories like that. generally, i *think* the files that get delayed usually involve a very non-supportive co/primary parent of the child, so it's good that you have the support of the mother. i would imagine it will certainly make it easier!

my-son-my-world

Jun 29, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, so no, it will not matter what your income is even if there were accompanying dependants.

Correct me if wrong, Sponsor should fill up Financial evaluation form to sponsor a spouse that has kids with previous relationship. With that I think the sponsor has enough income to support the stepkids.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
ilovepvr said:
Hello,

My husband has kids from a previous relationship. I am the Canadian Sponsor. He is Mexican living in Mexico. The kids are with their mother in California, He does not pay any child support and they are not dependent on him and in full care of their mother and their stepdad.
They will not be sponsored to come to Canada and we are aware that if we don't include them we cannot decide to do so in the future.

My question is.... will they still look at my income because he has kids? I make a decent living and can support myself and him, but if they are going to look at my income and see if I could support 3 kids....I dont think they will approve it.
I don't think that it will matter,
but for sure Immigration is going to request his child support arrangements...
that is a kind of legal issue...
you should consult an immigration lawyer...

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
my-son-my-world said:
Correct me if wrong, Sponsor should fill up Financial evaluation form to sponsor a spouse that has kids with previous relationship. With that I think the sponsor has enough income to support the stepkids.
as states above there is NO income requirement for spousal sponsorship, even with dependants. CIC cares whether or not child support is being properly paid by a sponsor, if applicable. as long as there is no welfare being used or bankruptcy in the past, how much they make doesn't matter. so i'm not understanding your point.

ilovepvr

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
mexico city
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
I've had no bankruptcy, no welfare, not any sort of gov assistance not even EI. I have always worked. So I guess my income won't be an issue.