+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband been offered job in Canada; can I get work permit?

English Rose

Sep 13, 2011
Hi all,

My husband has been offered a job in Canada, starting in September. He is a Canadian citizen, and I am British; we are currently living in Britain. I am trying to figure out whether I can work in Canada, too.

We are considering doing a PR application for me, but obviously that will take some time.

So, I wonder if I might be eligible for a work visa based on his job offer, as per CIC's information on "Spouses and common-law partners: Accompanying a student or a temporary worker"

He has an 8-month renewable contract, teaching at a university, so he would be considered skill level A. However, given that he has Canadian citizenship, it seems possible that I would not be eligible for an open work permit (OWP). In other words, if both of us were not Canadian, it seems I could apply for an OWP. Because he *is* Canadian, however, it is unclear whether I would be eligible.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
English Rose said:
So, I wonder if I might be eligible for a work visa based on his job offer, as per CIC's information on "Spouses and common-law partners: Accompanying a student or a temporary worker"

In other words, if both of us were not Canadian, it seems I could apply for an OWP. Because he *is* Canadian, however, it is unclear whether I would be eligible.
Unfortunately your suspicisions are correct. You don't qualify for an open work permit because your husband is a Canadian citizen (rather than a foreign worker).

If he sponsors you using the inland (inside of Canada) process, then you will qualify for an open work permit once the application has first stage approval (this takes about six months). If he sponsors you using the outland process, then you won't qualify to work until after your application has been approved and you have become a PR of Canada. If you can find an employer is Canada who is willing to offer you a job (and can obain an approved Labour Market Opinion) - this would be one way to be able to work sooner. Alternatively, does your current employer have offices in Canada and would they be willing to transfer you here?

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
If the job offer is located in Ontario you may want to check this link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2011/2011-01-30.asp

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You may qualify for an IEC visa. If you do, have your application ready to go asap in January 2014, as the UK's quota fills up fast.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

If you apply for PR, check into the London Thread and their spreadsheet. It seems London VO processes application very fast - many times faster than Stage 1 (when you get the work permit) for Inland sponsorship. (You can be inside Canada and apply Outland.) You can review the sticky thread by Leon for more information.

English Rose

Sep 13, 2011
amikety said:
You may qualify for an IEC visa. If you do, have your application ready to go asap in January 2014, as the UK's quota fills up fast.
The IEC is a good idea; however, I turn 31 in January 2014, so I think I'll just miss the eligibility period. (It does depend on precisely when in Jan the applications open, but it's a close enough call to make me a bit squeamish--not enough time to plan).

amikety said:
If you apply for PR, check into the London Thread and their spreadsheet. It seems London VO processes application very fast - many times faster than Stage 1 (when you get the work permit) for Inland sponsorship. (You can be inside Canada and apply Outland.) You can review the sticky thread by Leon for more information.
If I apply for PR I'll do so via London, yes. I've seen the spreadsheet and the London office does generally seem to be v quick. Thank you for clarifying that one can apply Outland while in Canada, and thanks for the heads up re the sticky thread.

English Rose

Sep 13, 2011
scylla said:
If you can find an employer is Canada who is willing to offer you a job (and can obain an approved Labour Market Opinion) - this would be one way to be able to work sooner. Alternatively, does your current employer have offices in Canada and would they be willing to transfer you here?
Thank you for the clarification, Scylla. My employer doesn't have offices in Canada, unfortunately, but I am looking out for job ads, for the reasons you suggest. I am awaiting an answer on a position that would run from Jan-Apr 2014; however, even if I am successful, it may be 0.66 time rather than f/t. Do you know if a job offer needs to be f/t to be eligible for a work permit?

I used to work in Canada (on a post-graduation permit) and I have been hoping that my old employers will have a vacancy soon--they have expressed a clear interest in my applying should they have a vacancy--but no luck as yet.

English Rose

Sep 13, 2011
Hi all, I'm just following up on--and clarifying--my previous question.

Can a temporary work permit be offered for a part-time position? Or would a work permit only be issued for a full-time offer of work?

(I understand about LMO etc.)

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I believe LMOs are typically only granted for full time roles. But I'm not certain. Hopefully someone else will comment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration used to define full time work as 37.5 hrs. per week but they seem to have changed that to 30 hrs., see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp said:
Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.