+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds PR renewal

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
Hello everyone,
I'm in a difficult situation and would appreciate any advice possible. Me and my parent had obtained a PR back in 2008, at the time I was a minor, and that PR card expired in 2013 (I was still a minor). Now, I wanted to explore my options for going to Canada, and I found out that my parent never renounced the PR and we never went to Canada since leaving. This means that I cannot apply for a visa or express entry until action is taken on the PR file (keep in mind I was a minor until 3 years ago). Now I'm wondering if there's a way for me to appeal on the PR for humanitarian and mitigating circumstances on the basis that I was a minor at the time and that now I'm seeking to migrate to Canada. Would such an appeal be a possibility ? I've contacted immigration consultants and recieved very mixed responses, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
I'm in a difficult situation and would appreciate any advice possible. Me and my parent had obtained a PR back in 2008, at the time I was a minor, and that PR card expired in 2013 (I was still a minor). Now, I wanted to explore my options for going to Canada, and I found out that my parent never renounced the PR and we never went to Canada since leaving. This means that I cannot apply for a visa or express entry until action is taken on the PR file (keep in mind I was a minor until 3 years ago). Now I'm wondering if there's a way for me to appeal on the PR for humanitarian and mitigating circumstances on the basis that I was a minor at the time and that now I'm seeking to migrate to Canada. Would such an appeal be a possibility ? I've contacted immigration consultants and recieved very mixed responses, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
You can certainly try. Whether you spent anytime as a minor in Canada and your age will be a factor. If you aren’t successful you can always work to qualifying on your own.

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
You can certainly try. Whether you spent anytime as a minor in Canada and your age will be a factor. If you aren’t successful you can always work to qualifying on your own.
If I do try this and it fails, would it cause any issues for any future temporary visa applications ? If so, what are the chances of success for this route ? Thanks again for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I do try this and it fails, would it cause any issues for any future temporary visa applications ? If so, what are the chances of success for this route ? Thanks again for your help.
Could cause issues for temporary visas but not for PR. If for example you were applying to study and attending a good school for a masters degree or a PhD I would imagine there would be less of an issue versus a degree from a private school. Tough to say when it comes to someone who left as a minor. How old are you? Did you ever live in Canada? Are you trying to study in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
How old are you now exactly?

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
If I do try this and it fails, would it cause any issues for any future temporary visa applications ? If so, what are the chances of success
Could cause issues for temporary visas but not for PR. If for example you were applying to study and attending a good school for a masters degree or a PhD I would imagine there would be less of an issue versus a degree from a private school. Tough to say when it comes to someone who left as a minor. How old are you? Did you ever live in Canada? Are you trying to study in Canada?
I'm currently 20 years old and I've completed my bachelor already. Currently exploring work experience opportunities as well as postgraduate but I'd prefer work experience first. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I do try this and it fails, would it cause any issues for any future temporary visa applications ? If so, what are the chances of success

I'm currently 20 years old and I've completed my bachelor already. Currently exploring work experience opportunities as well as postgraduate but I'd prefer work experience first. Thank you.
Impossible foranyone to determine whether you‘ll get a PRTD based on H&C. The earlier you apply the better chance of approval. Also impossible to say whether you will have difficulty getting a temporary permit. Would make sure any job or school is a well respected school or professional job.

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
Impossible foranyone to determine whether you‘ll get a PRTD based on H&C. The earlier you apply the better chance of approval. Also impossible to say whether you will have difficulty getting a temporary permit. Would make sure any job or school is a well respected school or professional job.
The consultant I was speaking to was telling me that since the PR has expired, we should first apply for a PR renewal on H&C grounds and then the PRTD. Is this accurate ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The consultant I was speaking to was telling me that since the PR has expired, we should first apply for a PR renewal on H&C grounds and then the PRTD. Is this accurate ?
This doesn't make sense. Specially if you are out side Canada now.
BTW there is no process to "rewnew PR". You can apply to renew your PR CARD if you are inside Canada. PR status doesn't need to be renewed if you remain in Canada. PR card is used to travel back to Canada.

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
This doesn't make sense. Specially if you are out side Canada now.
BTW there is no process to "rewnew PR". You can apply to renew your PR CARD if you are inside Canada. PR status doesn't need to be renewed if you remain in Canada. PR card is used to travel back to Canada.
To clarify, I meant the PR card not the actual PR. How can I re-enter canada if my PR card is expired ? Thank you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
To clarify, I meant the PR card not the actual PR. How can I re-enter canada if my PR card is expired ? Thank you.
Apply for PRTD. If you have H&C grounds, include that in the PRTD application. Whether IRCC accepts the reasons, it's up to them.

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
Apply for PRTD. If you have H&C grounds, include that in the PRTD application. Whether IRCC accepts the reasons, it's up to them.
While awaiting a response on the PRTD application, am I allowed to travel to other countries ? Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Find a new consultant. This is completely wrong. You cannot apply to renew your PR card from outside of Canada under H&C.

You need to re-enter Canada before you can apply to renew your PR. Your options for re-entering Canada are either to apply for a PRTD with H&C considerations or to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a US / Canada land border crossing using a private vehicle.

mmg_645

Jul 3, 2022
Find a new consultant. This is completely wrong. You cannot apply to renew your PR card from outside of Canada under H&C.

You need to re-enter Canada before you can apply to renew your PR. Your options for re-entering Canada are either to apply for a PRTD with H&C considerations or to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a US / Canada land border crossing using a private vehicle.
Thank you for clarifying this. My understanding is after the covid pandemic it's become difficult to cross the land border without checks right? As for the H&C conditions, are there any templates I can use to draft the letter for this or any specific way to write it ? Thank you.