+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HUGE DELAY in Study Permit Extension, Applied July 20, NO NEWS.

Mariken00

Oct 3, 2018
It's been 3 months already since I applied to extend my Study Permit and my spouse Work Permit, and still no news.

Our SIN numbers expired alongside the permits and we cannot renew them until we get a new permit. This has caused us troubles with our bank, our TSFA accounts are frozen, she can't be on any payroll without an active SIN. I am close to graduating and I will lose my student status very soon.

Worst thing is that I have a booked & pre-paid trip for November 7th for a conference and I cannot leave the country on an implicit status so I will be incurring in over $2000 in losses (plane tickets and conference fees are not refundable).

CIC website says they are currently working on applications received on August 15, mine was received on July 21. We have sent the web form twice already, but they just tell us to wait.

Any of you who applied to study permit extension around the same date have any news of your applications?

Reactions: rashisingh223

wiener

Oct 21, 2018
Hi. I am also in very similar situation. I have applied for SP extension on July19th with my wife OWP extension. Nothing since then, except for 3 regular monthly updates (There has been no updates to your application). I do not know what could be reason for this delay. Our health insurance benefits have stopped from Sep30 and I am on implied status sine then. This is my first time to face such long delay. Please let me know when you have an update to your application. Thanks

Mariken00

Oct 3, 2018
We have been calling them at least once a week and sent the web form 3 times already. The answer is the same as the one we received on September 20, that the actions already taken by the agent were the right ones and we should keep on waiting.

If we don´t get our permits before November 7th we will be losing around $2k in paid travel expenses for a science conference we planned on attending since May, not to mention the chance of participating in this once in a lifetime event and the benefits we could've gotten from it.

We have sent copies of our plane tickets and conference fees using the web form, but they don't seem to care.

negoxp

Oct 11, 2018
The same problem I applied my SP Extension + OWP for my wife and not answer. I sent my documentation Jul 7th.

Mariken00

Oct 3, 2018
The same problem I applied my SP Extension + OWP for my wife and not answer. I sent my documentation Jul 7th.
I´m so sorry you are on the same situation, you should call them at least once a week and ask for an explanation, please keep us updated if anything changes.

negoxp

Oct 11, 2018
Finally, I got my SP Extension. The short version.
I sent my documents Jul 7th.
Today Oct 27th I got the approval. After 112 Days.

But, We still waiting for an answer to my wife's Open Work Permit extension.

The process is slooooooow, :(

cheers

wiener

Oct 21, 2018
Finally, I got my SP Extension. The short version.
I sent my documents Jul 7th.
Today Oct 27th I got the approval. After 112 Days.

But, We still waiting for an answer to my wife's Open Work Permit extension.

The process is slooooooow, :(

cheers
Congrats. Did you apply online or paper?

negoxp

Oct 11, 2018
Today, I got the update to my wife Open Work permit. It changed to "Your document is valid."

So I guess we will receive everything in the mailbox.

Mariken00

Oct 3, 2018
Today, I got the update to my wife Open Work permit. It changed to "Your document is valid."

So I guess we will receive everything in the mailbox.
Glad to hear that, congratulations!

We still have no news, we just got this answer to our last webform:
"We verified the information provided and can confirm that your application is still in process.
While the processing times may vary with each case, we will make all the necessary efforts to finalize your application as soon as possible."

I feel so hopeless, if we don't get an answer for November 5th we cannot take a trip to a conference and we will lose the expenses already paid (over 2 thousand dollars), it feels to enraging that we need to absorb this monetary loss because of this delay, in 5 years we never had this problem until now.

Flag16

Nov 20, 2018
Hi,

I’m in the same situation, application was sent on Aug 6th and still no news. Did you get your extension and owp?

Glad to hear that, congratulations!

We still have no news, we just got this answer to our last webform:
"We verified the information provided and can confirm that your application is still in process.
While the processing times may vary with each case, we will make all the necessary efforts to finalize your application as soon as possible."

I feel so hopeless, if we don't get an answer for November 5th we cannot take a trip to a conference and we will lose the expenses already paid (over 2 thousand dollars), it feels to enraging that we need to absorb this monetary loss because of this delay, in 5 years we never had this problem until now.
Hi