+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Huge bill from visit to Toronto hospital

Edward5

Feb 1, 2016
Hello,

I arrived in Toronto over a month ago and just under two days after my arrival I was rushed to hospital from a pretty severe sudden ailment. I had surgery and a few nights stay at a hospital which has amounted to over $15k CAD. I had private insurance, however they have rejected my claim because this happened within 48 hours of arrival. Once I was stable I flew back home (UK) as I required further surgery and treatment. I have had huge moving costs from flights, double rent, etc. so I am a little stuck with this debt. If anyone has any ideas about what my options are I would appreciate it, maybe government debt relief options? I'm a full Canadian citizen if that changes anything. Additionally I do not think I would be able to get any sort of private coverage when I return because this will probably count as a pre-existing conditon. The company I received a job offer from were kind enough to postpone my position, however I'm a bit disheartened about moving back in lieu of a probable bad credit score and the risk of paying out of pocket within the 3 month waiting period if I fall sick. I know in the US people negotiate for hospital bills, is this possible in Canada?

Any suggestions would be much welcomed, thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've heard of people negotiating with hospitals. I would get in touch with the hospital where you were admitted and see what they are willing to do.

I think you are on your own with the moving costs, double rent, extra flights, etc. - unless your company is willing to cover some of those expenses.

And yes - you'll either need to obtain private coverage or pay for any care out of pocket for the first thee months when you return.

Hope you get better soon.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You mentioned you have had insurance? Was it travel insurance or private insurance? Travel insurance cover emergencies and hospital cost, to certain limit. I would check with the insurance company again, also hospitals do installment payments, I know this since I had around $8K to pay which they allowed me to pay $100/month. So try with hospital and speak to the financial department.
Good luck

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you bought a policy before arriving to Canada and it is from a Canadian company you should not have any waiting period. It sounds a bit strange. What company was it from?

NishM

May 7, 2016
What if a person new to Canada has a PR? Even then he/she has to pay huge bill amounts by hospitals?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
NishM said:
What if a person new to Canada has a PR? Even then he/she has to pay huge bill amounts by hospitals?
In many provinces you are not covered by the health care system for the first three months after you arrived. You should take out insurance to cover yourself for emergencies for the first three months. If you do not take insurance or if you need care that is not an emergency but just a part of your regular care - then you will have to pay for these costs out of your own pocket. However as I mentioned in my response to your other thread - I think it's unfortunately very unlikely you would be approved for PR. The care for your condition is simply too costly.

Ayokunlex01

Champion Member
Feb 20, 2015
BOSTON; MASSACHUSETTS
Visa Office......
Accra Ghana
NOC Code......
2241 Electrical Engineer
scylla said:
I've heard of people negotiating with hospitals. I would get in touch with the hospital where you were admitted and see what they are willing to do.

I think you are on your own with the moving costs, double rent, extra flights, etc. - unless your company is willing to cover some of those expenses.

And yes - you'll either need to obtain private coverage or pay for any care out of pocket for the first thee months when you return.

Hope you get better soon.