+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HOW WORK EXPERIENCE IS CALCULATED?

mahamkd

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi folks, can any of the senior here calculate my work experience and tell me when I will get my 2 years experience? I calculated and it seems the first week of December this year I ll have 2 years experience is that correct ? Here are my details; I started a NOC A code job in February 2018 and worked till February 2019, I worked here 40 hours ..and my second job is NOC b Class which I started February 2019 and still working here ...I would be very glad if you could tell me when I get my 2 years experience .. Thank you so much...
If you worked either job for 52 weeks it will be two years. As you didn't provide exact dates I can't be sure. If its supposing Feb 2nd, 2018 for start and end date is Feb 15th, 2019 it will count as one year. the other one would be less than a year as you started in Feb 2019 so ideally, it will be two years in Feb 2020. IRCC counts 30 hrs as fulltime work so even if you worked 40hrs they will count 30 hrs. So its 52 weeks x 30hrs = 1560hrs. Also, you get the same points for one and two years of foreign work experience so if you are applying from outside Canada one year of experience is enough to apply.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi folks, can any of the senior here calculate my work experience and tell me when I will get my 2 years experience? I calculated and it seems the first week of december this year I ll have 2 years experience is that correct ? Here are my details; I started a NOC A code job in February 2018 and worked till february 2019 , I worked here 40 hours ..and my second job is NOC b Class which I started February 2019 and still working here ...I would be very glad if you could tell me when I get my 2 years experience .. Thank you so much...
You will have two years of work experience in February 2020 - depending on the exact dates, it may also be March 2020.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi folks, can any of the senior here calculate my work experience and tell me when I will get my 2 years experience? I calculated and it seems the first week of december this year I ll have 2 years experience is that correct ? Here are my details; I started a NOC A code job in February 2018 and worked till february 2019 , I worked here 40 hours ..and my second job is NOC b Class which I started February 2019 and still working here ...I would be very glad if you could tell me when I get my 2 years experience .. Thank you so much...
Is this a trick question? 2 years = 104 weeks. When you have worked 104 weeks, then ...

You didn´t give your exact dates or state whether there was a gap between the two jobs, nor do you state whether your second job was full time (30 or more hours per week). So that´s the best we can do.

visupreddy

Feb 4, 2020
Could someone please help me in the calculation?
My details are as shown below:
I started NOC A job in Canada from July 31st 2018 (40 hours per week and some times overtime) and I 'm still working as of today April 2nd, 2020. So, what is my total years of Canadian experience? How will IRCC or express entry profile calculate my Canadian experience?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Could someone please help me in the calculation?
My details are as shown below:
I started NOC A job in Canada from July 31st 2018 (40 hours per week and some times overtime) and I 'm still working as of today April 2nd, 2020. So, what is my total years of Canadian experience? How will IRCC or express entry profile calculate my Canadian experience?

1. 18 months. i.e. less than 2 years.

visupreddy

Feb 4, 2020
HI

1. 18 months. i.e. less than 2 years.
thank you so much for your response.

July 31st - 2018 to July 30th 2019 --> 1 Year

July 31st 2019 - Mar 31st 2020 --> 8 Months

so total should be 20 months but why 18 Months?

kanwal.ghuman66

Apr 8, 2020
hello Everyone i have a quick question so lets say in a 14 day period if i have worked 60 hours as mentioned on my pay stubb and as per cic they consider 30 hours per week a full time week, my question is how will the visa officer know that if i have actually worked 30 hours in a week, it could be 40 hours in the first 7 days and 20 hours in the second 7 days, so as per the rule total hours for 14 days to count should be 50 not 60 as mentioned on my pay stub.

azadur037

Apr 8, 2020
Hello, can anyone please help me out with my case? I have opened my EE profile last years December and received the ITA under CEC in the last draw. For that, I had the Canadian work experience in a NOC B job from October 01, 2018 to February 28, 2020 (1 year 5 months). Although I was appointed as full time (30 hours/week) during this time, my work hours were pretty much fluctuating. Quite a lot of weeks, I actually worked more than even 40 hours since the business was very busy in those weeks. Whereas I also worked around 20 hours in quite a lot of weeks because either the business was very slow or I personally took some days off. So in that case, I calculated my full time weeks by summing up all my actual work hours that is shown on my pay stubs (deducting any hours above 30 hours in a week) and dividing that by 30. In this way, I got 60 full time weeks within this time range of 1 year 5 months. My employer has already issued me the employment reference letter showing me as a full time (30hrs/week) as per my initial appointment. So, my question is, can this cause any problem since my employer is showing me full time whereas my actual work hours were fluctuating. Should I also submit any additional letter of explanation or the reference letter with the T4 is sufficient? Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello, can anyone please help me out with my case? I have opened my EE profile last years December and received the ITA under CEC in the last draw. For that, I had the Canadian work experience in a NOC B job from October 01, 2018 to February 28, 2020 (1 year 5 months). Although I was appointed as full time (30 hours/week) during this time, my work hours were pretty much fluctuating. Quite a lot of weeks, I actually worked more than even 40 hours since the business was very busy in those weeks. Whereas I also worked around 20 hours in quite a lot of weeks because either the business was very slow or I personally took some days off. So in that case, I calculated my full time weeks by summing up all my actual work hours that is shown on my pay stubs (deducting any hours above 30 hours in a week) and dividing that by 30. In this way, I got 60 full time weeks within this time range of 1 year 5 months. My employer has already issued me the employment reference letter showing me as a full time (30hrs/week) as per my initial appointment. So, my question is, can this cause any problem since my employer is showing me full time whereas my actual work hours were fluctuating. Should I also submit any additional letter of explanation or the reference letter with the T4 is sufficient? Thanks.

It's good that you did the calculations to be certain that you meet the requirement, but I think with the letter and T4 you will be OK (as long as the the T4 shows you earning as much or more than what you would calculate at 30 hours per week). You clearly meet the one year requirement with an xtra 5 months, so even if IRCC did ask, you can prove that you meet the requirement.

Last edited:

kanwal.ghuman66

Apr 8, 2020
hello Everyone i have a quick question so lets say in a 14 day period if i have worked 60 hours as mentioned on my pay stubb and as per cic they consider 30 hours per week a full time week, my question is how will the visa officer know that if i have actually worked 30 hours in a week, it could be 40 hours in the first 7 days and 20 hours in the second 7 days, so as per the rule total hours for 14 days to count should be 50 not 60 as mentioned on my pay stub. To Clarify 1st week 40 hours , 2nd week 20 hours , pay stub shows total 60 hours for 14 days, So how will cic consider would it be 60 hours for 14 days worked as my pay stub shows or it would be 30+20=50 hours in total for 14 days as per cic's 30 hours/week rule?.

gaganchugh

Oct 14, 2014
Hi Experts.

I would be grateful if you could please solve my query. I started working in Canada on October 28, 2019 and worked till November 10, 2019 (80 hours in total). I went to my home country on November 11, 2019 and started working again with the same employer and same designation from January 6, 2020 after coming back to Canada. Considering that I will be working 40 hours per week regularly and complete 1600 hours till October 27, 2020, will I qualify to get points for one year Canadian Experience, or fulfilling 1560 hours in one year criteria is not enough and I will have to complete 52 weeks as well? If this is so, on what date will I be eligible to get points for 1 year experience? My work permit is LMIA based. Thanks.

RDP25

May 3, 2020
Hi, did someone answered your above mentioned question yet, i have similar case like you, what is your current status (got PR already or still in the pool), please reply, thanks

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Experts.

I would be grateful if you could please solve my query. I started working in Canada on October 28, 2019 and worked till November 10, 2019 (80 hours in total). I went to my home country on November 11, 2019 and started working again with the same employer and same designation from January 6, 2020 after coming back to Canada. Considering that I will be working 40 hours per week regularly and complete 1600 hours till October 27, 2020, will I qualify to get points for one year Canadian Experience, or fulfilling 1560 hours in one year criteria is not enough and I will have to complete 52 weeks as well? If this is so, on what date will I be eligible to get points for 1 year experience? My work permit is LMIA based. Thanks.
There is not much to say.

You need to complete 1560 hours. However, IRCC only counts up to 30 hours per week. Hence, you need at least 52 weeks, which not need be continuous to satisfy this. 52w*30h/w=1560h

For instance, if you work 60 hours/week, 37.5 hours/week or 30hours/week --> they are all the same for IRCC purposes and you need to complete at least 52 weeks of work.

Reactions: mnint