Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
Hi - I have heard and read many stories about people coming into Canada with a student visa, taking a class for maybe a month then dropping out and remaining for the rest of their permit time - maybe a year or more.
I understand the new rules on June 1, 2014 are meant to prevent that from happening - i.e. the gov't doesn't want people here on a student visa if they are not really studying.
But how will they enforce this rule? how will they know if someone isn't studying and, if they do find out, would they deport that person?
Or is it more about affecting their record in Canada and preventing that person from obtaining any future visas if they ever applied again?

Just wondering this as I read about new CIC rules & regs...

Cheers

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Under the new rules effective from June 1st, universities/colleges are obliged to report to CIC if a student on study permit drops out or terminates their studies or for any reason the study permit holder is no more a full-time student. As soon as CIC is notified, information about such student will be circulated with the aim of removing such person from Canada. There will be also designated universities/colleges in which foreign students can enrol: this is to ensure close cooperation between these institutions and the CIC so that foreign students get the maximum benefits from their studies. And also to aid CIC in issuing study permits to genuine students without hassle. So if you intend testing the new system, then I wouldn't advise you at all. If you don't paln to study, please apply for work permit instead. Good luck!

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
campesinaj said:
Hi - I have heard and read many stories about people coming into Canada with a student visa, taking a class for maybe a month then dropping out and remaining for the rest of their permit time - maybe a year or more.
I understand the new rules on June 1, 2014 are meant to prevent that from happening - i.e. the gov't doesn't want people here on a student visa if they are not really studying.
But how will they enforce this rule? how will they know if someone isn't studying and, if they do find out, would they deport that person?
Or is it more about affecting their record in Canada and preventing that person from obtaining any future visas if they ever applied again?
Just wondering this as I read about new CIC rules & regs...
Cheers
As the new rules have been explained, colleges and universities are required to report to CIC if international students are not enrolled full time or drop out. It is anyone guess what CIC will do with this information. All that is known is that they will immeidately cancel the Study Permit making the student without status. They could decide to go after the student and deport them or they could just wait and make sure that if/when the student applies for further immigration benefits they are denied.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under the new regulations the universities would be constrained to inform the CIC in the occasion a student drops out. Then this individual will be turfed, detained and deported by the authorities. Breaking the immigration law will result in 99% guaranteed future inadmissibility to Canada.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then this individual will be turfed, detained and deported by the authorities
Do not think that CIC will chase "students" all over Canada. :D
All that is known is that they will immediately cancel the Study Permit making the student without status. They could decide to go after the student and deport them or they could just wait and make sure that if/when the student applies for further immigration benefits they are denied.
That's right.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
so if I get co-op in winter semester and want to skip a semester I cant do that because I wont be taking courses...??

dok

Apr 20, 2014
sharjeel91 said:
so if I get co-op in winter semester and want to skip a semester I cant do that because I wont be taking courses...??
The new rules aren't meant to stifle the liberty of students on study permit or make them bookworm. It's, however, to enhance the quality of education students obtain from Canadian institutions. If co-op is essential part of your studies or you can convince your university that it'll provide you with the skills needed to complete your studies/research activities, then you won't have problems. Meanwhile, as a study permit holder, you're to maintian full-time enrolment in each approved term/semester. Therefore, under no circumstance should you skip any of these approved terms to engage in self-found co-op without the consent of your university. Anyway, some programs have specific time period for co-op: some do it in the winter or in the summer. So normally, you cannot skip an approved semester/term to engage in co-op if it's not part of your degree requirement. In all cases you should consult your academic supervisor or the appropriate office in your university/college as some co-op may be possible, especially if you're taking it outside Canada. In such cases course deferment may be the last resort. I hope this clarifies your doubts.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
dok said:
The new rules aren't meant to stifle the liberty of students on study permit or make them bookworm. It's, however, to enhance the quality of education students obtain from Canadian institutions. If co-op is essential part of your studies or you can convince your university that it'll provide you with the skills needed to complete your studies/research activities, then you won't have problems. Meanwhile, as a study permit holder, you're to maintian full-time enrolment in each approved term/semester. Therefore, under no circumstance should you skip any of these approved terms to engage in self-found co-op without the consent of your university. Anyway, some programs have specific time period for co-op: some do it in the winter or in the summer. So normally, you cannot skip an approved semester/term to engage in co-op if it's not part of your degree requirement. In all cases you should consult your academic supervisor or the appropriate office in your university/college as some co-op may be possible, especially if you're taking it outside Canada. In such cases course deferment may be the last resort. I hope this clarifies your doubts.
CO-OP is not necessary but u know co-op is very necessary in order to get a job after ur studies in my case I will be enrolled with the university I wll be paying them the basic amount like health insurance gym fee dental fee and other basic fee but wont be talking any courses... but yeah as we know since 4 year degree is required to complete in 5 years (in my uni) therefore I dont think I will be problem but yeah thanks for ur response.

ross lee

May 20, 2014
Hello all, interesting topic but still some confusion.

Can someone please clarify the following on CIC's website:
"On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit but you have not yet applied for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you are authorized to work off campus without a work permit as long as you meet the eligibility requirements for working off campus."

Questions:
- how will CIC prevent a disingenuous foreign student from applying for jobs as of June 1?
(if the student already dropped-out but still holds a study permit under the old rules).

- who will check that this student has been "actively pursuing an education"?

- are these rules based on the honor system?...are we really trusting that a disingenuous student will not apply for jobs?

any thoughts?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
but yeah as we know since 4 year degree is required to complete in 5 years (in my uni) therefore I dont think I will be problem but yeah thanks for ur response.
You should ask the university adviser!! You cannot just assume you could take co-op semester. Also , do not forget to do co-op you have to get a special WP. You are not allowed to work during co-op on OCWP!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how will CIC prevent a disingenuous foreign student from applying for jobs as of June 1?
(if the student already dropped-out but still holds a study permit under the old rules).who will check that this student has been "actively pursuing an education"?
University will HAVE to report to CIC any suspisious or droped out students.

we really trusting that a disingenuous student will not apply for jobs?
Canada never prevents anybody from doing stupid things. Everyone makes his own choices and should be aware of consequences.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
Regina said:
You should ask the university adviser!! You cannot just assume you could take co-op semester. Also , do not forget to do co-op you have to get a special WP. You are not allowed to work during co-op on OCWP!
I think that co-op permit is required if its mandatory for the compeletion of ur degree.... I am not dropping from uni just skiping a term but yeah once new rules are implemented I will definitely talk to International adviser,,

ross lee

May 20, 2014
Thanks for you reply Regina,

I understand that Universities "will be required" to report drop-out foreign students and hopefully they will cooperate with CIC. However, I'm concerned that this new rule of allowing foreign students to work-off campus after June 1 will be abused by disingenuous students.

...very good for the hardworking student pursuing his/her studies but those other drop-outs will be rewarded with jobs if not discovered by CIC.