+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How We Compiled Our Spousal Sponsorship Application - 2018

singh30

Jul 15, 2020
Hi. Canadian citizen. PR cannot sponsor outside of Canada, that is correct.
I am so so lucky to found this thread. I really wanna thank you for the detailed amount of information you have shared. I am gonna take that as a reference.

I have a few queries if you may please assist.

1) How to answer Q8 and Q9 as we are common law? How did you answered this Please help

Linhdang

Oct 26, 2020
Hi there. Your post is so useful, but I am confused about the part about providing certified copies. I know birth, marriage, police certificates and passports will need to be certified as true copies but does things like text messages, phone call history, Facebook posts, etc also need to be certified? Can someone clarify for me as I don't want to mess this part up. Thank you!

Reactions: ruanp28

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Hi there. Your post is so useful, but I am confused about the part about providing certified copies. I know birth, marriage, police certificates and passports will need to be certified as true copies but does things like text messages, phone call history, Facebook posts, etc also need to be certified? Can someone clarify for me as I don't want to mess this part up. Thank you!
In the Guide >country specific> India> They copies of ORIGINAL , NOT certified copies. BUT recently they added certified translated copies of such docs which are NOT in English. And that also includes text msgs, phone calls chats :(
How a person can pay so many chats in Hindi /Punjabi like "keehaal hai sohnio?" etc etc.. Its so weird. They MUST change that as it looks like invasion of privacy to actually look at what we chatted exactly!

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Hi there, from my understanding when we did our visa app, you only need chats, posts, texts etc. certified IF they were not in English and therefore had to be translated. If that is the case, they need to be translated and notarized according to my understanding.That being said, we only added like 5 pages of chats and texts, but ours was in English so we did not need it to be translated and notarized.

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
In the Guide >country specific> India> They copies of ORIGINAL , NOT certified copies. BUT recently they added certified translated copies of such docs which are NOT in English. And that also includes text msgs, phone calls chats :(
How a person can pay so many chats in Hindi /Punjabi like "keehaal hai sohnio?" etc etc.. Its so weird. They MUST change that as it looks like invasion of privacy to actually look at what we chatted exactly!
It's not invasion of privacy, by applying for a spousal visa the officer should have proof that you are a real couple and not committing visa fraud. Besides, you have a choice of which chats you want to send as your proof. Invasion of privacy would have been if they requested you to provide them with your passwords to your email accounts or if they requested to see ALL of your text messages. This is not the case, you have a choice of which texts or chats you provide with your application - we for example chose texts where we discussed what we want to eat for dinner, planning road trips or camping accommodation etc.

Reactions: singleman

harshrk6392

Star Member
Mar 26, 2019
Hi all, so we finally sent in our application (outland from South Africa) this morning. I thought I might share how we compiled our application, since so many rules have changed over the years and we could not find any new organizing/compiling examples... I am going to try to add photos (hopefuly they upload) and am also outlinging our headings etc. for you.

Some background regarding our application:

(i) We are a common-law couple living together since 2012 and are both outside of Canada
(ii) We do not have any children
(iii) We are not moving to Quebec, so our checklist did not include any Quebec requirements

After the application was compiled, it weighed around 1.7 kilograms. I bubble wrapped the whole application and put a heading on top of the bubble wrap that simply reads "Application for Permanent Residency" with the sponsor's name and the applicant's name.

I had binder clips that held together 3 parts of the application:

The first part I clipped together was number 1-5 below (basically all the checklists, barcodes, payment and IMM forms).

The second part I clipped together was all the supporting documents for the sponsor, including passport, proof of intent to move to Canada (over 100 pages of proof) and source of income proof (basically lots of evidence that we are employable and have money to get onto our feet, degrees, resumes, employment opportunities, savings etc.)

The third part I clipped together was all the supporting documents for the applicant. This includes 2 PR photos that I attached at the top in a small envelope for the officer to see. In this part I also had 100 pages of our relationship proof (since we are a common-law couple, I had to include a ton of bills indicating more than one year of the same address). At the back, I placed 20 photos into an A4 envelope, each photo had details on the back that we printed out neatly and applied to the back of each photo with "DC Fix".

Throughout the supporting documents, we also had headers for each page in case a page got lost some how. The header included both the sponsor and applicant names and birth dates, as well as the type of supporting document (i.e Supporting document for Sponsor: 2. Proof that Sponsor will live in Canada)

Our application's order was exactly as follows:

1. Checklist

. Barcodes (1344 one page, 0008 two pages)

* I also added a one page cover letter after the bar codes, explaining what class we are applying under, why we believe that we are eligible and a short explanation of evidence that we provided. Its not necessary, but meh.

3. Heading: Sponsor Forms
3.1 IMM 1344
3.2 Application Fees Receipt

4. Heading: Principal Applicant Forms
4.1 IMM 0008
4.2 IMM 5406 (we only filled out one)
4.3 IMM 5669 (added an additional sheet of international travel with a photo of my passport stamps)

5. Heading: Sponsor and Principal Applicant Forms
5.1 IMM 5532
(Additional sheets to provide our relationship time-line which is roughly 3 pages) - Answer to Question 11 Section C

6. Heading: Sponsor Supporting Documents
6.1 Sponsor Canadian Passport copy
6.2 Detailed plan of proof that Sponsor will live in Canada when applicant is approved (roughly 120 pages of proof and a "strategy plan" of everything we have done in terms of planning to move)
6.3 Documentation showing that I can support the applicant once in Canada

7. Heading: Principal Applicant Supporting Documents
7.1 Copies of most recent Passport (2018) and birth certificate
7.2 Statutory declaration of common-law relationship (although not required since we have no co-signer)
7.3 Original police clearance certificate of applicant (received 31 July 2018)
7.4 2 x photos of principal applicant (details written on back of the photos)
7.5 Proof of our relationship (roughly 100 pages where I include all documents relating to our relationship including lease agreement, bank accounts, envelope with 20 photos, relationship support letters, 2 x statutory declarations from family members and so forth)

So that was it. After we compiled the whole thing and went over our checklist and signature parts a few times, I wrapped it and sent it away. Some details I thought I'd include, as we struggled over the past two years to get solid info.

Details of supporting documents and photos to follow :)
Greatly explained.

Can you share an example of timeline of 3 pages that you submitted for Part C Question 11?

blueberry1234

Aug 3, 2019
Hi, I found your posts very helpful! I had a question when printing all the forms did you print on both sides of the paper or one side printed and the back empty? Thanks

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Greatly explained.

Can you share an example of timeline of 3 pages that you submitted for Part C Question 11?
My apologies for the late response, I am so busy these days I don't check the forum very often. Our timeline started from 2012 when we met at the university. So for example I would have the month and the year, and then I also added trips and special events together over the past 7 years, with links to pictures (for example see picture one: camping trip July 2014) etc. I also added when we for example went on our first trip together, when we moved in together, when we got engaged etc. They just want to see that your relationship has developed over the past year(s), it does not need to be perfect.

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
My apologies for the late response, I am so busy these days I don't check the forum very often. Our timeline started from 2012 when we met at the university. So for example I would have the month and the year, and then I also added trips and special events together over the past 7 years, with links to pictures (for example see picture one: camping trip July 2014) etc. I also added when we for example went on our first trip together, when we moved in together, when we got engaged etc. They just want to see that your relationship has developed over the past year(s), it does not need to be perfect.
To add: We numbered our photos, and in the relationship timeline we would link certain events to the photos (for example birthdays, camping trips, friend's weddings, and so on) . That way, we basically integrated the photographs and the timeline together. The photographs also shows progression especially since our photographs were taken over 7 years, you could clearly see that we have aged haha

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi All, I need a Few suggestions. I am in canada and a PR. My wife is in India and I am sponsoring her. I have following doubts. It will be very helpful if I can get some suggestions around them.
1) We are not hiring any consultant. I am sending application by myself. So Shall I fill IMM 5476 and Mention myself as a Representative? Is It Neccessary?
2) I am attaching calls logs and whatsapp screenshots from myside (Sponsor), is it ok or these documents should only be from Principal applicant side?
3) Do I have to send one checklist or separate checklist 1 for sponsor and otherone for Principal applicant ?
4) shall check the checkboxes in Checklist which are not relevant to me like "Additional Information about the children" in supporting documents for PA. or shall I leave these empty?