+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to write name in Study Permit form?

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
In my passport, my name is formatted as follow: Family name + Given names.
However, in all of my English documents, my name is formatted as: Given names + Family name.
In the Family Information form, there is just one field to enter my full name, so which format of my name should I input? Also, which format should I input for the names of my parents?

gupt07ash

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
In my passport, my name is formatted as follow: Family name + Given names.
However, in all of my English documents, my name is formatted as: Given names + Family name.
In the Family Information form, there is just one field to enter my full name, so which format of my name should I input? Also, which format should I input for the names of my parents?
forget the passport format dude

baryonix

May 21, 2019
So I should write my name as: Given names + Family Name?
forget the passport format dude
I beg to differ. I wrote my name in Family form exactly the same as what is in the passport (Given name + family name). Based on @HenryVo other posts, I see that he is a Vietnamese, hence the name format is different. And the Visa Officer in Vietnam should know about the country he/she is working in ;)

P/S: I am also a Vietnamese ;) and my name appears differently in my passport and in other documents.

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
I beg to differ. I wrote my name in Family form exactly the same as what is in the passport (Given name + family name). Based on @HenryVo other posts, I see that he is a Vietnamese, hence the name format is different. And the Visa Officer in Vietnam should know about the country he/she is working in ;)

P/S: I am also a Vietnamese ;) and my name appears differently in my passport and in other documents.
But in all of my English documents, my name is formatted as: Given names + Family name.
So if I write my name as Family name + Given names (like on my passport), would it cause issues, since the name's format is different?
Also, do I need to write the names with symbols like in Vietnamese?

baryonix

May 21, 2019
But in all of my English documents, my name is formatted as: Given names + Family name.
So if I write my name as Family name + Given names (like on my passport), would it cause issues, since the name's format is different?
I dont think that matters much because some of my documents have "Given Name + Last Name" while my passport and degree certificate have "Last Name + given Name"

Write name without symbol of course...

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I suggest your write it as it is written in your passport, this is what IRCC says you should do.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
I dont think that matters much because some of my documents have "Given Name + Last Name" while my passport and degree certificate have "Last Name + given Name"

Write name without symbol of course...
Yeah, my education transcript and my university's offer both have my name as Given names + Family name. But for my passport and birth certificate, it is Family name + Given names.
So in conclusion, I should write my name as Family name + Given names, similarly to my passport?

baryonix

May 21, 2019
I suggest your write it as it is written in your passport, this is what IRCC says you should do.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4
Yeah, my education transcript and my university's offer both have my name as Given names + Family name. But for my passport and birth certificate, it is Family name + Given names.
So in conclusion, I should write my name as Family name + Given names, similarly to my passport?
Guys, I know what the IRCC said, but I already said before that the Embassy officer in Viet Nam should know how a Vietnamese name looks like and its format.

For me, my name is in different order in different documents and I already got approval. Also, I didnt even apply from Vietnam. I applied from Singapore.

Hope this helps.

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
Guys, I know what the IRCC said, but I already said before that the Embassy officer in Viet Nam should know how a Vietnamese name looks like and its format.

For me, my name is in different order in different documents and I already got approval. Also, I didnt even apply from Vietnam. I applied from Singapore.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for your help, I have decided to write it in the form written in my passport.

Billalbdg

Feb 12, 2019
My parents name on their id card and their name on my passport and certificates are not same little mistakes.
But my name is ok
Would it be nay problem for getting study permit?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
My parents name on their id card and their name on my passport and certificates are not same little mistakes.
But my name is ok
Would it be nay problem for getting study permit?
Write their name as it is in the passport, that is the document you are going to use.

Billalbdg

Feb 12, 2019
Write their name as it is in the passport, that is the document you are going to use.
Their name on Passport and certificates is same
But i just wanna make sure
Is wrong name will impact on getting visa. Bcz on their national id card name is not same as on my passport. Thats the problem

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
Please help me with one more thing. On the Family information form, for the spouse field and the children fields, they don't apply to me. So do I leave them blank? Or should I write N/A for them?