+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to work in Canada with a New Zealand Passpot????

JoshNZ

Jul 20, 2012
I am from New Zealand currently on my 1 year working holiday Visa working in Canada, but it is coming up to expiring at the end of October.
I have had an interview with an employer in Ottawa that is prepared to sponsor me but just isn't sure on what is involved in this process.

I am just after the best option for me to gain a visa or extend my current one so i am able to stay another year.

I have been to university in New Zealand for Land Surveying so could possibly be under a skilled worker but not sure?

Does anyone know the best option for me to go through this?

Any information would be appreciated!

I have tried calling the CIC and have had no luck getting through to figure this out so here is my last option!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

JoshNZ said:
I am from New Zealand currently on my 1 year working holiday Visa working in Canada, but it is coming up to expiring at the end of October.
I have had an interview with an employer in Ottawa that is prepared to sponsor me but just isn't sure on what is involved in this process.

I am just after the best option for me to gain a visa or extend my current one so i am able to stay another year.

I have been to university in New Zealand for Land Surveying so could possibly be under a skilled worker but not sure?

Does anyone know the best option for me to go through this?

Any information would be appreciated!

I have tried calling the CIC and have had no luck getting through to figure this out so here is my last option!
1. The employer has to advertise the position on the job bank for 2 weeks. Then has to submit a Labour Market Opinion application to HRSDC and demonstrate that there were no Canadians/PRs available or qualified for the position. If it is approved, then you can apply for a work permit.
2. As New Zealand citizen your IEC visa is a one short deal, and can't be renewed.
3. The Skilled Worker program has been suspended for until at least January, unless you have an approved job offer.

JoshNZ

Jul 20, 2012
Awesome, thanks mate,
for the Skilled worker one, will the employer still need to advertise for two weeks or are they able to offer me the job straight away? That way i could apply straight away for the Skilled worker visa right?

JoshNZ

Jul 20, 2012
Also is getting sponsored by an employer an option or is that the same thing as the skilled worker program?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

JoshNZ said:
Awesome, thanks mate,
for the Skilled worker one, will the employer still need to advertise for two weeks or are they able to offer me the job straight away? That way i could apply straight away for the Skilled worker visa right?
No, they have to apply for an Approved Employment Option from HRSDC (if you are not working for them with a work permit, that you got via the LMO route) The processing time is about 6 months. Then with the AEO you can apply as a skilled worker.

JoshNZ

Jul 20, 2012
Ok well it looks like the LMO is the be route then?

What would the processing time be for that?
And as my WHP visa is still current could i start working for him first and then if they want me to stay they can apply for LMO and then i get the work permit?

Thanks for all the help,
Its confusing trying to figure out the best option!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

JoshNZ said:
Ok well it looks like the LMO is the be route then?

What would the processing time be for that?
And as my WHP visa is still current could i start working for him first and then if they want me to stay they can apply for LMO and then i get the work permit?

Thanks for all the help,
Its confusing trying to figure out the best option!
Yes, as long as your IEC visa is valid. LMOs, 2 weeks advertising, and then 6-16 weeks for the LMO depending on the province.

JoshNZ

Jul 20, 2012
Okay so if my Current visa exprires an i havent got my new work permit in time do i have to leave the country?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

JoshNZ said:
Okay so if my Current visa exprires an i havent got my new work permit in time do i have to leave the country?
Yes, or apply for an extension as a visitor, you won't be able to work though.

JoshNZ

Jul 20, 2012
For the LMO does it need to be done before i start work or as my WHP visa is current can i work for a while on that and then go for the work permit via the LMO application that the company will send in?