+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Work in Canada Temporarily?

EugeneR

Jul 22, 2017
Hello,

My situation is a little bit complicated. I want to join the IEC, International Experience Canada, program however my nationality being Chinese (mainland Chinese) doesn't seem to work.

My ideal here in Canada is to obtain an opportunity to study, travel and work. So IEC seems perfect for me.

Right now I am holding a tourist visa inside Canada and seek opportunities if any company would hire me. But it's also very counterintuitive to say that companies would want to hire a foreign person, by going through the normal process of work permit, getting a LMIA, and submitting work permit visa. Such a process is long, and very costly for a company.

Sometimes people ask me to go check about co-op programs, I sought Stepwest for this one, however they replied back with, again, my nationality is not going to work.

I wonder if there's any way to stay here a bit longer (currently 3 months) so that I can finish my temporary study (kind of self-learning) here, and get a chance to explore more of the country? And alongside working, so I can get some experience?

I have already submitted my resume to multiple companies, some are interested, however, they still want me to have an open work permit already in place.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My situation is a little bit complicated. I want to join the IEC, International Experience Canada, program however my nationality being Chinese (mainland Chinese) doesn't seem to work.

My ideal here in Canada is to obtain an opportunity to study, travel and work. So IEC seems perfect for me.

Right now I am holding a tourist visa inside Canada and seek opportunities if any company would hire me. But it's also very counterintuitive to say that companies would want to hire a foreign person, by going through the normal process of work permit, getting a LMIA, and submitting work permit visa. Such a process is long, and very costly for a company.

Sometimes people ask me to go check about co-op programs, I sought Stepwest for this one, however they replied back with, again, my nationality is not going to work.

I wonder if there's any way to stay here a bit longer (currently 3 months) so that I can finish my temporary study (kind of self-learning) here, and get a chance to explore more of the country? And alongside working, so I can get some experience?

I have already submitted my resume to multiple companies, some are interested, however, they still want me to have an open work permit already in place.

Thank you!
Generally speaking it's next to impossible to find employers who are willing to go through the LMIA process (the employer must obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a work permit). If you do find an employer, be prepared to wait 4-6 months for the LMIA process to be completed.

If you have the money, the best option would be to return to your home country and then apply to take further full time studies in Canada (either at the college or university level). What you take in Canada must make sense in light of your previous education and any work experience. This isn't a cheap option (you'll need to show a bank account with at least $25K). However if you do go this route and get a study permit approved for a full time program that is at least eight months long - then you'll be able to work 20 hours a week while you study full time and will also qualify for an open work permit once you complete your studies.

EugeneR

Jul 22, 2017
Generally speaking it's next to impossible to find employers who are willing to go through the LMIA process (the employer must obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a work permit). If you do find an employer, be prepared to wait 4-6 months for the LMIA process to be completed.

If you have the money, the best option would be to return to your home country and then apply to take further full time studies in Canada (either at the college or university level). What you take in Canada must make sense in light of your previous education and any work experience. This isn't a cheap option (you'll need to show a bank account with at least $25K). However if you do go this route and get a study permit approved for a full time program that is at least eight months long - then you'll be able to work 20 hours a week while you study full time and will also qualify for an open work permit once you complete your studies.
Hi there.

Could you tell me what qualify as a full time study? I found a course that is tailored to my goal here in McGill and I have checked with them, the only catch is that they don’t offer any credit, because it’s like a night school kind of program—continuing study.

Can I take this one and apply for both study permit and work permit?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there.

Could you tell me what qualify as a full time study? I found a course that is tailored to my goal here in McGill and I have checked with them, the only catch is that they don’t offer any credit, because it’s like a night school kind of program—continuing study.

Can I take this one and apply for both study permit and work permit?

Thank you.
Continuing studies won't qualify since they aren't full time and don't lead to a diploma/degree.

So no - this will not qualify for a study permit or work permit.