+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to withstand extreme cold of Canadian Winters

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
People,

I invite every body to contribute to this thread liberally... Want to know the the various effects that cold has on persons moving from warmer countries esp India, Pakistan and other asian countries.

Also what kinda of precautions wrt warm clothes etc needs to be taken for the same.

What are the long term effects of cold weather on health.

Pl note this is a very serious issue so pl contribute accordingly...

Jul 12, 2010
Depending on where you are moving to in Canada will depend on the how cold the winter will be. Vancouver for instance has a rainy and warmer winter than say Winnipeg where it can be very cold with the wind chill.

Regardless of where you are going to live if you dress for the weather conditions you will be fine. Even Canadians don't get used to the cold, we just dress for the conditions and wait for the spring to arrive.

Make sure you have a warm hat, scarfs (to cover your nose and mouth on very cold days and also for your neck), insulated mitts/gloves, sweaters/turtlenecks, a warm winter jacket, ski/snow pants, winter boots (waterproof), good socks to keep your feet warm (they say wool socks are good for that but I have never tried them) and you will be able to withstand the winter.

Take the Canadian winters on as something to look forward too. Yes, it can be very cold sometimes but it can be beautiful and a lot of fun also.

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Hi,

Good thread friend for those who are coming from India, Pak and other Asian countries. We hope that landed guys will share their experience...

Satish

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GuateCanadian79 said:
Depending on where you are moving to in Canada will depend on the how cold the winter will be. Vancouver for instance has a rainy and warmer winter than say Winnipeg where it can be very cold with the wind chill.

Regardless of where you are going to live if you dress for the weather conditions you will be fine. Even Canadians don't get used to the cold, we just dress for the conditions and wait for the spring to arrive.

Make sure you have a warm hat, scarfs (to cover your nose and mouth on very cold days and also for your neck), insulated mitts/gloves, sweaters/turtlenecks, a warm winter jacket, ski/snow pants, winter boots (waterproof), good socks to keep your feet warm (they say wool socks are good for that but I have never tried them) and you will be able to withstand the winter.

Take the Canadian winters on as something to look forward too. Yes, it can be very cold sometimes but it can be beautiful and a lot of fun also.
Correct, Russians here depend on Vodka and I will also keep a good supply to keep myself warm.

B

belize

health wise cold weather is always good because its always kills germs. In hospitals why aircondition are very high and tempreature is cold because cold always kills germs, and in winter people eat more food and digest easy, so I say 95% winter and cold weather is good for health.

manek

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maverick_stallion said:
People,

I invite every body to contribute to this thread liberally... Want to know the the various effects that cold has on persons moving from warmer countries esp India, Pakistan and other asian countries.

Also what kinda of precautions wrt warm clothes etc needs to be taken for the same.

In your first winter, try to search deals in SEARS, WALMART, ZELLERS etc for winter clothing and shoes in Fall itself. SEARS outlets have good deals usually. Buy only good quality clothes and shoes, compromise for cost. Take some basic medicines of cough, cold and flu from India as for first three months your OHIP wont owrk.

It is not that bad in winter as you are assuming.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maverick_stallion said:
People,

The key to being comfortable (yes, it is possible!) in the cold is to dress appropriately. For example:
- Wear many layers of clothing (so you can take off the jacket and sweater inside) and have lots of layers to trap the body heat in when you are outside. In fact, when I am in cold weather, I rarely wear long sleeve shirts in the middle of winter because if I do it gets too hot inside!
- Get clothes made from appropriate material (or yarn). For example, in warmer weather sweaters are made from cotton which is not very helpful in the cold as it allows heat to escape much faster than wool, cashmere, or other cold weather appropriate clothes.
- Make sure you buy good winter shoes that have good traction AND have someone show you how to identify ice (especially black ice) so you don't step on it and ... ummm, fly momentarily, before landing on the floor.

I would suggest finding a local friend (perhaps through one of the settlement organizations, a neighbor, or someone that immigrated some time ago and figured it out) and going shopping with them so they can help you learn what is appropriate or not. They can also show you the best sales, etc.

You may find you really start enjoying the seasons as many transplants do. The beauty of changing leaves and the joy of really enjoying sunshine are hard to describe but very real!

david_oz

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2010
AOR Received.
12-03-2010
Med's Request
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
30-06-2010
Passport Req..
20-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2010
LANDED..........
04-09-2010
get a warm jacket and suck it up! its not that bad...

oh and take up skiing, it makes winters awesome!

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Sniffing cold breeze makes me feel uncomfortable ! How to withstand it?
using a Mask to inhale moist air?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
Use a scarf and wrap it around your nose and mouth

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Take advantage of FLU SHOTS when they are offered in the Fall, usually early November they start. Depending on the province in which you live and your age, they may be free of charge, but find out, it is good prevention. In the winter you tend to spend more time indoors with the windows closed so viruses spread more easily between people. Good handwashing and staying away from work/school if you are ill will help everyone stay healthy.

manek

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
how about a monkeycap?

wt1

Jul 23, 2010
Having moved from a humid, subtropical climate, one thing that affected me a lot is the very dry air in the winter. Your skin can feel very dry and some people do get nose bleeds.

I find it helpful to have a humidifier in my home. An added bonus is that the room feels warmer as the humidity increases. ;D

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pippin said:
Take advantage of FLU SHOTS when they are offered in the Fall, usually early November they start. Depending on the province in which you live and your age, they may be free of charge, but find out, it is good prevention. In the winter you tend to spend more time indoors with the windows closed so viruses spread more easily between people. Good handwashing and staying away from work/school if you are ill will help everyone stay healthy.
wt1 said:
Having moved from a humid, subtropical climate, one thing that affected me a lot is the very dry air in the winter. Your skin can feel very dry and some people do get nose bleeds.

I find it helpful to have a humidifier in my home. An added bonus is that the room feels warmer as the humidity increases. ;D
Great suggestions!