+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How To Unite With Extended Family Members - via eTA Visa

CandyMcRae

Dec 16, 2020
Greetings to those who this thread reaches!

This thread serves as a reference to my application, for 2 reasons;

1. for others to pick possible holes in my application
2. for you - the reader - to share my process in order to inform others of the questions and answers you seek in your own application, by seeing how others applied

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who Can Enter Canada?

I am classed as a "Foreign National" - therefore I can only travel to Canada if I'm eligible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Makes A Foreign National Eligible?

To be eligible, all of the following must apply:

1 - You're an Extended Family Member of a Canadian Citizen
2 - You're staying for 15 days or more
3 - You have Written Authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Therefore, I am eligible due to being an "Extended Family Member of a Canadian Citizen", who plans on staying in Canada for 15 days or more.

More specifically, I am a "Non-Dependent Child (Adult Child)". The Canadian Citizen being my Father.

Only 1 thing missing, Written Authorization from IRCC.

How Do You Request a Written Authorization from IRCC?

Obtain a Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel authorization (eTA).

In my case, I already have an approved Electronic Travel authorization (eTA) visa.

Due to having an eTA, I need to complete a Web Form, outlining all required information and evidence in one web form submission only.

What Evidence and Information is Required for the Web Form?

Evidence required for a Foreign National to unite with an Extended Family Member who is a Canadian Citizen:

1 - Signed and completed Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration (IMM 006) form

The Canadian Citizen family member and I have both filled out the "Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration (IMM 006)" form, in the presence of any official who is legally authorized to receive a solemn declaration, in this case - a Canadian lawyer.​

2 - Proof that your Extended Family Member is a Canadian Citizen

In this case, a copy of the Canadian Citizens Passport.​

Information required for a Foreign National to unite with an Extended Family Member who is a Canadian Citizen:

1 - Your full name
2 - Your date of birth
3 - Your passport number
4 - A detailed reason for travel
5 - The dates you plan to travel
6 - Where you live now (current country of residence)
7 - Attach your evidence to show you’re eligible to travel to Canada at this time
8 - Your quarantine plan

Then wait for a reply.

Normal processing times (pre-COVID) were 14 business working days, however, this is greatly affected since COVID.

Until then, I am planning every aspect of my trip, especially the changes around Arriving in Canada.

My application for Written Authorization was made on 16th November 2020.

It has been 22 business working days since my initial Web Form submission - I am still currently waiting for a reply.

All the best to those who are currently going through this process.

This post is for those out there trying to unite with family members in Canada - may you cherish the time with your loved ones as much I hope to with my Dad. It's been 2 long years of not seeing him, a horribly long time which is threatened to be longer, if at all, by COVID.

Candy :)

Malharp

Dec 7, 2020
My AOR is 27 January 2020 and still waiting for PPR and COPR. My Brother is Canadian Citizen so i will be Extended Family Member.

1.) Can i fill the Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration (IMM 006) and ready with the document so as soon as i receive my COPR without wasting time i can apply for eTA or we have to wait for my COPR then only i can fill the 'IMM 006' form?

2.) My Wife is main applicant and i am dependent. As my brother is Canadian citizen, Do we have to fill separate 'IMM 006' Form (for myself and my wife) or only one form needs to be filled and notarized.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My AOR is 27 January 2020 and still waiting for PPR and COPR. My Brother is Canadian Citizen so i will be Extended Family Member.

1.) Can i fill the Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration (IMM 006) and ready with the document so as soon as i receive my COPR without wasting time i can apply for eTA or we have to wait for my COPR then only i can fill the 'IMM 006' form?

2.) My Wife is main applicant and i am dependent. As my brother is Canadian citizen, Do we have to fill separate 'IMM 006' Form (for myself and my wife) or only one form needs to be filled and notarized.

Thank you.
Your wife doesn't qualify to travel at the moment only you do.

Reactions: CandyMcRae

CandyMcRae

Dec 16, 2020
Please can you elaborate on the acronyms?

By any chance is there a thread to disclose them all - I'm struggling to understand a lot of posts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: CandyMcRae

JyothiJakkana

Jun 13, 2019

2. for you - the reader - to share my process in order to inform others of the questions and answers you seek in your own application, by seeing how others applied

Who Can Enter Canada?

I am classed as a "Foreign National" - therefore I can only travel to Canada if I'm eligible.

3 - You have Written Authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Therefore, I am eligible due to being an "Extended Family Member of a Canadian Citizen", who plans on staying in Canada for 15 days or more.

More specifically, I am a "Non-Dependent Child (Adult Child)". The Canadian Citizen being my Father.

In my case, I already have an approved Electronic Travel authorization (eTA) visa.

Due to having an eTA, I need to complete a Web Form, outlining all required information and evidence in one web form submission only.

Evidence required for a Foreign National to unite with an Extended Family Member who is a Canadian Citizen:

1 - Signed and completed Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration (IMM 006) form

The Canadian Citizen family member and I have both filled out the "Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration (IMM 006)" form, in the presence of any official who is legally authorized to receive a solemn declaration, in this case - a Canadian lawyer.​

Information required for a Foreign National to unite with an Extended Family Member who is a Canadian Citizen:

1 - Your full name
2 - Your date of birth
3 - Your passport number
7 - Attach your evidence to show you’re eligible to travel to Canada at this time
8 - Your quarantine plan

Then wait for a reply.

Normal processing times (pre-COVID) were 14 business working days, however, this is greatly affected since COVID.

Until then, I am planning every aspect of my trip, especially the changes around Arriving in Canada.

It has been 22 business working days since my initial Web Form submission - I am still currently waiting for a reply.

This post is for those out there trying to unite with family members in Canada - may you cherish the time with your loved ones as much I hope to with my Dad. It's been 2 long years of not seeing him, a horribly long time which is threatened to be longer, if at all, by COVID.

JyothiJakkana

Jun 13, 2019
Hello!
I am currently a International student (graduated first program in December and second program starts in may),

Currently working as an frontline healthcare worker in a LTC since July 2020. I have my husband's Open Work Permit IRCC application in process since August 2020. Can i apply for this authorization, I was not allowed to travel to my country as my work place is in Covid-19 outbreak.

I have read in cic website, that families of temporary residents living in Canada can also apply.

In my condition, Can i apply this for my husband?
Have anyone applied and completed the process?

Kindly reply and help me, that will be a great favour in this overwhelming situation.

Thank you,
Jyothi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!
I am currently a International student (graduated first program in December and second program starts in may),

Currently working as an frontline healthcare worker in a LTC since July 2020. I have my husband's Open Work Permit IRCC application in process since August 2020. Can i apply for this authorization, I was not allowed to travel to my country as my work place is in Covid-19 outbreak.

I have read in cic website, that families of temporary residents living in Canada can also apply.

In my condition, Can i apply this for my husband?
Have anyone applied and completed the process?

Kindly reply and help me, that will be a great favour in this overwhelming situation.

Thank you,
Jyothi
SOWP is the correct application for your husband as he is not a temporary visitor. If approved for an SOWP then he can ask for special authorization to join you in Canada.

IndiaDgreat

Star Member
Oct 31, 2020

Who Can Enter Canada?

1 - Your full name
2 - Your date of birth
3 - Your passport number
8 - Your quarantine plan

Then wait for a reply.

Hi,

Under extended family member, in order to get Travel Authorisation Letter for COPR holders, Is it necessary for a sibling (A Canadian Citizen) to live in the same province?

FYI,I Won't be reuniting with sibling under 'extended family member'

Tulsipat

Jan 24, 2021
Hi,

Can you please help to get full format of how to write email to IRCC for getting written authorisation. It would be a great help.

Thanks
Tulsi