VISA ISSUED...
visa received nov 11, 2010
LANDED..........
June 02, 2011 thank you God...
thanks sir qorax! :)

zulfiqarmuree

May 1, 2011
dear qorax;
im grateful to b in this forum. n even more important to get informed abt career in canada. n ur work is undoubtedly superb. i hav a question which is " wht are the sources to be expected or look in for the initial stage i-e: survival stage?
regards,
zulfiqar muree

GreenLeaf

Dec 12, 2010
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. 'Survival Jobs':
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
!-Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
!-Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
!-Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. 'Tertiary Jobs':
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
!-Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. 'Intermediate Jobs':
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
!-Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)

GreenLeaf

Dec 12, 2010
ankit_20 said:
Thanks for starting this thread qorax

I agree with your assessment and laid out plan. My two cents

My research shows me that there are few things that we should do before we land.
1.) Get our degrees and certificate evaluated and find out Canadian education equivalent: There are many organizations that do this evaluation for a fee. What we need is sealed transcripts from college and little fee to get the degrees evaluated. Once we know how our education stands in Canadian education system we can better asses ourselves and market our selves accordingly. Also some of employers may accept this evaluation.

2.) Do as many international certificates as possible: I can speak only for 0213 here. If you are working for 0213 code do as many relevant certifications as you can before landing like PMP, ITIL, and technical certifications like CCNA, checkpoint etc if applicable to you.

3.) Be ready for voluntary work and paid internship: Canada has culture where lots of people do voluntary work, which is not common in part of the world that I come from. We need to make this cultural transition in our minds. As soon as we land we should take voluntary work and start paid internship in our field. Please see http://www.triec.ca/ for more details

4.) Start Building professional network over linked in and other websites

5.) Join as many technical and recruiting groups in your field of work as possible

6.) Search for matching jobs and see what skill sets they need which you may not have

What I have read tells me it is really tough to find out jobs without Canadian Education and Canadian Experience. But there are many organizations that work with immigrants to reduce the pain. Once we have know what to expect, how to over come these challenges and are willing to take jobs that come our way irrespective of profile and salary, we will be in better shape to handle the initial troubles related to immigration

DrSIMRON

May 28, 2011
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.

Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.

By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Hi qorax you are the most sincere and genuine advisor for us . kindly give me the guidelines for canada type cv. How to write the cv. so much hype is given to the canada type cv please give me the guidelines.

tariq.shaikh

Star Member
Nov 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2008
Doc's Request.
March 2009
IELTS Request
Aug 2009
File Transfer...
NO
Med's Request
12 Dec 2009
Med's Done....
20 Jan 2010 Remedical 9.3.11
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
qorax said:
YI,

U have set the point absolutely right. Nailed it correctly... what's the point in waiting for the eventuality, by then go high-dry? Yes, one should take a 'survival job' asap & save those greenbacks. Rather than dreaming of the utopia, that might just not come by [foolhardy, I'd say] & end-up in a mess. Wherein, s/he might still fall back for that [presumed] inconceivable job... alas with empty pockets!

It's all about commencement of 'work' that shall lead us to a better placement. While no work-equals-no money-equals-low self esteem-equals-poorer choices-equals-bad decisions-equals-back to square one. And then where the 'honey' would go w/out 'money' is anyone's guess!

Thus, my advice to everyone [newcomers]... take that 1st job. Happiness shall follow! With the funds being intact, the satisfaction that will accrue is immeasurable. And that will lead to a +ve outlook & eventually we'll succeed.

No offenses to anyone here.
Qorax.
Dear QORAX,

I read your all post and they are really excellent and very helpful for new canadian immigrant, your post have all related information, i really appreciat you.... you are really great person...

I am also a new immigrant and plan to land in canada in Sep 2011. You are absolutly right that do any job for survive and it also help us to gain some canadian market experiance..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
DrSIMRON said:
Hi qorax you are the most sincere and genuine advisor for us . kindly give me the guidelines for canada type cv. How to write the cv. so much hype is given to the canada type cv please give me the guidelines.
Resume writing Tips for the Canadian Job Market

Canadians use resumes instead of CVs; and prefer computerised applications. The application process is much more commercial and as most employers will read resumes on the computer the resume should fit a specific template and if it does not then it risks being rejected without a viewing. [1]Bullet point words such as contributed, managed, organized, developed etc. at the start of a sentence for maximum impact.

Once the filter has 'found' your resume, it might be read by a person who is not knowledgeable of the vacancy you are applying for so it should be written to [2]sell yourself to almost any audience while at the same time being relevant to your target employer!

The format for the Canadian Resume is similar to the Chronological CV with the [3]length generally being 2 sides of A4. Your [4]name and contact details would be at the top centre followed by your [5]career history and work experience in reverse chronological order with the most recent job detailed first.

Mention whether your work was [6]full or part time and explain any gaps in your employment history. Within this provide [7]examples of your achievements and details of how you added "value" to your past/current employers organisation/company.

Following career history is your [8]educational history with a list of colleges and universities, date and qualifications obtained etc. Mentioning [9]foreign travel, language and computer skills is advantageous.

Finally close with [10]"References available on request" or on a separate page list up to 3 referee's with their contact information. Ensure before submitting your resume that you have checked that your contact details for referees are up to date and still current.

Canada provides assistance for jobseekers in the form of free workshops at almost all "Neighborhood Welcome Centres", which help anyone seeking employment with writing resumes, interview skills and job search.

NOTE:
1. There are some differences within Canada itself with regard to job search. In English-speaking Canada you have to actively market yourself but in the French part of Canada it is more formal.
2. There are lots of online Canadian job search sites that have resume templates you can use as well as marketing you towards your target employer.

1. David Cohen's Tips: Our own CanadaVisa website itself has some nice tips to offer...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-employment-resume.html

2. Grand Resume: Nice exhaustive info here. At right side -in the end, there is a box on "Writing tips" check that...
http://grandresume.com/blog/resume-writing/how-to-write-a-canadian-resume

3. Example of Resumes: Here u'll also find some of Engineers Resumes...
http://www.careerowlresources.ca/Resumes/Res_Frame.htm?res_power.htm~right

4. Resume writing Tips: Some good pointers from settlement.org...
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001064

5. Resume Disasters: What we shouldn't do...
http://www.resumedoctor.com/WorstResumes.asp

Hope that helped...
Qorax

DrSIMRON

May 28, 2011
qorax said:
Hi friends,

Hi qorax I am a fan of your zeal to help hence am asking for your help. I am a foreign medical graduate working in dubai have already landed in april am going to calgary in august. I have heard of voluntary catholic organisations who help newcomers. They could help me find a place in medical insurance or public health as that does not need to pass an exam. Could you guide me of such voluntary organisations in calgary. I know they are in toronto but i want calgary. please giude me.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
DrSIMRON said:
Hi qorax I am a fan of your zeal to help hence am asking for your help. I am a foreign medical graduate working in dubai have already landed in april am going to calgary in august. I have heard of voluntary catholic organisations who help newcomers. They could help me find a place in medical insurance or public health as that does not need to pass an exam. Could you guide me of such voluntary organisations in calgary. I know they are in toronto but i want calgary. please giude me.
Regrets, I don't have much info on Calgary... pls check with Leon he knows AB better.
Qorax

hfcanada

Dec 14, 2010
Dear Qorax,

Could you please provide info on finance and accouting jobs in canada. what are the basic requirements for getting the jobs in this profession and expected salaries. And whats the max CAD $ we can earn in part time jobs in a month.

Thanks a lot Qorax.

zoze

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
25-11-2014
Passport Req..
21-01-2015
Sir Qorax,
U r actually a guardian angel for intending and newly landed immigrants. Ur posts are always top notch advice.
I write to salute you. Welldone and keep up this good work. God will surely reward you by providing help for you if you should ever need it.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
zoze said:
Sir Qorax,
U r actually a guardian angel for intending and newly landed immigrants. Ur posts are always top notch advice.
I write to salute you. Welldone and keep up this good work. God will surely reward you by providing help for you if you should ever need it.
Appreciated...

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Thanks Qorax for the useful info. Indeed survival is more important than ego. One more thing. I have the understanding that Canadian system accepts only Canadian qualifications and in order to succeed, one has to get a degree from Canadian University.