+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to stay in Canada?

Nicoletta

Nov 5, 2015
Good morning,

I am in a tough situation and am hoping that someone can assist:

I came to Canada on a work permit, it has expired and a lawyer did my restoration of status as a tourist. While this was with CIC, I applied for another work permit as I was scared that I do not get an ITA.

Now I have an application with CIC for the work permit but also got my ITA and I am currently working on collecting all the documents.

My restoration of status has been approved till the end of January 2016.

What are my options to stay legally in Canada beyond Jan. 31? Do I have any at all?

Thanks Nicole

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it possible that you can study a short course at say a University? This may enable you to obtain a Student Visa. I may be wrong but I believe sometimes Universities offer 'non-degree' courses in certain fields of study? As a result you may get a Student Visa for say 6 months. Is this possible for you?

cr_ramos07

Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know you can stay in Canada as a tourist for 6 months... Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is possible that when your 6 months expire you just leave the country for a few days (maybe a short visit to the US) and when you come back you can stay for 6 months again... but I'm not sure if it works that way...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cr_ramos07 said:
As far as I know you can stay in Canada as a tourist for 6 months... Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is possible that when your 6 months expire you just leave the country for a few days (maybe a short visit to the US) and when you come back you can stay for 6 months again... but I'm not sure if it works that way...
If you leave there's no guarantee you will be allowed into Canada. So a short visit to the US isn't necessarily a good approach.

No - visits aren't limited to 6 months. You can apply for an extension to remain in Canada longer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JoacRy said:
Is it possible that you can study a short course at say a University? This may enable you to obtain a Student Visa. I may be wrong but I believe sometimes Universities offer 'non-degree' courses in certain fields of study? As a result you may get a Student Visa for say 6 months. Is this possible for you?
Study permits typically aren't issued for courses six months or shorter. If a course is six months or shorter, the right visa to apply for is a TRV.

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cr_ramos07 said:
no not correct. as a visitor you have no purpose to get extension without any reason on border. also it requires multiple entry visa. not a single entry to reenter.

moreover the good way is to apply for a 6 months stay as a visitor with your reason as you got ITA so you require sometime to apply or any other reason or even without any reason you can apply for first time.

but if you already applied for work permit then i doubt they will not give you visitor visa.

on what grounds did you applied for work permit. do you have lmia or any other means to apply for work permit?

also once your 6 months comes to end for visitor visa, you can reapply to extend your stay for another 3-4 months or 6 months. they will approve if everything is ok and you have good finance to support and a valid reason will do the work.

cr_ramos07

Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
If you leave there's no guarantee you will be allowed into Canada. So a short visit to the US isn't necessarily a good approach.

No - visits aren't limited to 6 months. You can apply for an extension to remain in Canada longer.
Why wouldn't you be allowed in Canada?
And yes, you can also apply for an extension

cr_ramos07

Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ntwkengg said:
no not correct. as a visitor you have no purpose to get extension without any reason on border. also it requires multiple entry visa. not a single entry to reenter.

moreover the good way is to apply for a 6 months stay as a visitor with your reason as you got ITA so you require sometime to apply or any other reason or even without any reason you can apply for first time.

but if you already applied for work permit then i doubt they will not give you visitor visa.

on what grounds did you applied for work permit. do you have lmia or any other means to apply for work permit?

also once your 6 months comes to end for visitor visa, you can reapply to extend your stay for another 3-4 months or 6 months. they will approve if everything is ok and you have good finance to support and a valid reason will do the work.
I guess what I meant is that once your 6 months end, you can either get an extension or leave and reapply. For me it's easy because I don't need to apply in the first place. Some countries don't require a tourist visa, so I just have to leave the country and come back again without doing any paperwork.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cr_ramos07 said:
I guess what I meant is that once your 6 months end, you can either get an extension or leave and reapply. For me it's easy because I don't need to apply in the first place. Some countries don't require a tourist visa, so I just have to leave the country and come back again without doing any paperwork.
Even if you don't require a visa to enter Canada as a tourist, you can still be refused entry. We see it happen here from time to time. Visiting is not a right.

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Even if you don't require a visa to enter Canada as a tourist, you can still be refused entry. We see it happen here from time to time. Visiting is not a right.
yes visiting is not anyone's right unless he/she has any purpose that can be justify. so i would say better is to apply online for extension rather than going on port of entry eventhough you are visa exempt country as they are going to have strict laws from ?March 2016 and everyone will require ETA to enter unless you are PR of canada, citizen of Canada or US..

cr_ramos07

Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
ntwkengg said:
yes visiting is not anyone's right unless he/she has any purpose that can be justify. so i would say better is to apply online for extension rather than going on port of entry eventhough you are visa exempt country as they are going to have strict laws from ?March 2016 and everyone will require ETA to enter unless you are PR of canada, citizen of Canada or US..
I understand that any country has every right to refuse entry to whoever they want, but on what grounds? can they just refuse entry to someone with no criminal records of any kind? if I am entering Canada as a tourist and I don't do anything illegal, like working without a permit, the only thing that I'm doing is spending all my money in Canada... I don't see why they wouldn't want me there :p