+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to sponsor non-accompanying dependents immediately after landing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hii i am in situation with you m just landed in end of May as Permanent Resident but ny spouse is non accompyning to me .
Now i want sponser to him but didn’t get my PR card yet can i applied to him with COPR
How much time will take to approve sponser approval
Or total processing time to spouse visa approval
Thans in advance
A

PR card is just a travel document. Yes you can apply. It will take approximately a year.

prabh03

Sep 13, 2018
Hello All,

I got my Canada PR recently and landed in Canada on December 9, 2017. Me and my family were in the US during the PR application processing and during my application, I declared my family is non-accompanying. All the necessary formalities like medical exam and PCC were complete for all family members declared in my application. My thought process was as soon as I get a good job I will sponsor and reunite with my family.

Here is my current situation:
  1. I am still awaiting my PR Card to arrive.
  2. I had a job offer before landing but after getting PR stamped.
  3. It's a good job in my field and I have accumulated 2 paystubs until now.
  4. Now I want to sponsor my family members who were declared as non-accompanying i.e. wife and kid miss them a lot here especially in this winter.:(
  5. My family is currently residing in my home country India.
Following are my questions:
  1. What is the fastest way to reunite with family?
  2. Do I need to wait for PR Card to arrive before I can send in my application or COPR document after landing is enough)
  3. What are all the documents required for the Application to be submitted (myself + family)?
  4. Under which category can I apply for family PR (I little confused between different categories).
  5. Are there any things I should be careful while submitting the application?
  6. Also, can I sponsor my parent super VISA with my family?
Thanks in advance.
Hi harshads,
Any update on your sponsorship application, I am in the same situation as you have mentioned except for the super visa part. Sponsoring my wife and 2 kids..submitted application last month. I waited for my PR card to arrive since the checklist clearly mentioned need to attach copy of PR card so didn't want to risk it by submitting the COPR.

Vikas47992

Dec 24, 2018
Hello All,

I got my Canada PR recently and landed in Canada on December 9, 2017. Me and my family were in the US during the PR application processing and during my application, I declared my family is non-accompanying. All the necessary formalities like medical exam and PCC were complete for all family members declared in my application. My thought process was as soon as I get a good job I will sponsor and reunite with my family.

Here is my current situation:
  1. I am still awaiting my PR Card to arrive.
  2. I had a job offer before landing but after getting PR stamped.
  3. It's a good job in my field and I have accumulated 2 paystubs until now.
  4. Now I want to sponsor my family members who were declared as non-accompanying i.e. wife and kid miss them a lot here especially in this winter.:(
  5. My family is currently residing in my home country India.
Following are my questions:
  1. What is the fastest way to reunite with family?
  2. Do I need to wait for PR Card to arrive before I can send in my application or COPR document after landing is enough)
  3. What are all the documents required for the Application to be submitted (myself + family)?
  4. Under which category can I apply for family PR (I little confused between different categories).
  5. Are there any things I should be careful while submitting the application?
  6. Also, can I sponsor my parent super VISA with my family?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Harshad,
Just curious to know how you got your family to Canada. Was it on family class visa? What was the processing time?

Is your spouse allowed to work on that visa?

I am in the UAE now but have my Canada PR card. So can I start applying for my wife and daughter or do i have to wait till i relocate to canada?

Please help me answering this based on your experience.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Vikas

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Harshad,
Just curious to know how you got your family to Canada. Was it on family class visa? What was the processing time?

Is your spouse allowed to work on that visa?

I am in the UAE now but have my Canada PR card. So can I start applying for my wife and daughter or do i have to wait till i relocate to canada?

Please help me answering this based on your experience.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Vikas
You must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your family for PR. You cannot sponsor while you are outside of Canada.

Yes - you will have to sponsor your family through family class. Expect processing to take approximately a year.

Your wife will only qualify for a work permit if you sponsor her inland. To sponsor her inland, she must be in Canada as well.

Reactions: Vikas47992

Vikas47992

Dec 24, 2018
Thank you very much Scylla.
Have a query on the last bit. Can spouse be inland on tourist visa? Will she qualify for citizenship after 3 years on family class visa?

Cheers,
Vikas

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much Scylla.
Have a query on the last bit. Can spouse be inland on tourist visa? Will she qualify for citizenship after 3 years on family class visa?

Cheers,
Vikas
Yes - if she comes to Canada on a tourist visa then she can apply inland. Citizenship rules are the same regardless of how you obtain PR.

Reactions: Vikas47992

Vikas47992

Dec 24, 2018
Yes - if she comes to Canada on a tourist visa then she can apply inland. Citizenship rules are the same regardless of how you obtain PR.
Thank you Scylla. Can I start schooling for my daughter after initiating the family class visa or do I have to wait until the family class visa is approved?

Cheers,
Vikas

vishalsag

Feb 21, 2019
H
If your family have visitor visa to enter Canada, then they can come as visitors while waiting for the PR application.
Otherwise, the PR "visa" will take a while (I read that dependents' are roughly 6 months and spousal is targeted for 1 year)
How long can they stay on visitor visa ? is it 6 months at a streatch or more ? Can I apply super visa for spouse ?

Jjrr1616

May 21, 2018
H

How long can they stay on visitor visa ? is it 6 months at a streatch or more ? Can I apply super visa for spouse ?
If it helps I sponsored my spouse inland who first came on visitor Visa for 6 months. I reccomend if you can finish and send your inland application within the 6 months great. However, we applied 2 times to extend the visitor Visa and it was granted both times (because you need a valid status in canada through the process). As it took us some time to gather all the documentations I'd say if this is your plan make sure you do what you need to do for your spouse in the home country (police clearances etc) so that way when they arrive on visitor you have most of the documents and can apply quickly.

Reactions: YVR123

vishalsag

Feb 21, 2019
If it helps I sponsored my spouse inland who first came on visitor Visa for 6 months. I reccomend if you can finish and send your inland application within the 6 months great. However, we applied 2 times to extend the visitor Visa and it was granted both times (because you need a valid status in canada through the process). As it took us some time to gather all the documentations I'd say if this is your plan make sure you do what you need to do for your spouse in the home country (police clearances etc) so that way when they arrive on visitor you have most of the documents and can apply quickly.
Thanks Jjrr1616 . so total how long your spouse could stay in Canada at a stretch ?? Did your spouse received PR before she / he had to go back to the home country . Moreover I also understood that during this proccess the spouse can be applied for open work permit as well .. any idea about that .

Jjrr1616

May 21, 2018
Thanks Jjrr1616 . so total how long your spouse could stay in Canada at a stretch ?? Did your spouse received PR before she / he had to go back to the home country . Moreover I also understood that during this proccess the spouse can be applied for open work permit as well .. any idea about that .
My spouse didn't have to leave at all, at a stretch they can grant upto 6 months max but its upto the officer. The other 2 times they only granted 2 months extension at a time. Once your application is sent in and received by them, the spouse is allowed to stay in canada on assumed status until a decision is made. Yes we applied for the OWP together with PR it came in 3 months (granted for 2 years). Apply for it with your PR that's the fastest way to get it. I applied in may 2018, my spouse is still here with me. We are waiting on PR still but he doesn't have to leave cuz he has the OWP till 2020 and PR processing time is approx one year for inland

Just to clarify further, the tourist Visa varies by country. So I dunno how that may impact. My spouse if from a Visa exempt country which means:Holders of passports issued by his country are able to visit Canada without obtaining a visa for a period of up to six months. They are required to obtain an eTA if they arrive by air.

Feel free to send me a direct message if you any questions I'd be happy to connect.

Last edited:

Onlyng

Oct 29, 2017
Hello, thanks for all the infos am getting here. Pls is it possible to apply for a spouse immediately after landing before I secure a job or get my PR. If yes, what are the procedures, and if no, can i get a visiting visa for him while I get a job. Your quick response will be very much appreciated. Thanks once again.