+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to sponsor my new born baby

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Hello guys,

this is my second topic on this wonderful forum. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Well, I landed with my wife last March, and as my wife was pregnant and needed extra care, we opted for delivery in Dubai due to the presence of family and excellent medical insurance offered by the company.

Now, I am planing to move definitively to Canada in 2015, and I need to start sponsoring my new born kid. I was planing to go and stay 26 days to get the initial approval, and then move back to Dubai till the visa is issued. But being told that I may need to stay their through the whole process.

I would appreciate your help and suggestions on what other options do I have, as I don't want to leave my family for long time.

Thanks a tons.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

As a PR, you must stay in Canada throughout the entire processing.

You can try for a TRV for your baby. The TRV will probably be refused, as CIC doesn't usually give them to children of PRs. If the TRV is refused, you can try for a TRP, temporary resident permit. A TRP gives someone who is otherwise inadmissible to Canada special permission to come into the country.

There have been several others in your situation who have successfully gotten a TRP for their child, travelled to Canada together and then applied for sponsorship.

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

As a PR, you must stay in Canada throughout the entire processing.

You can try for a TRV for your baby. The TRV will probably be refused, as CIC doesn't usually give them to children of PRs. If the TRV is refused, you can try for a TRP, temporary resident permit. A TRP gives someone who is otherwise inadmissible to Canada special permission to come into the country.

There have been several others in your situation who have successfully gotten a TRP for their child, travelled to Canada together and then applied for sponsorship.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will ask for the TRP. How if I get an offer letter for a job there, will it be easy to convinve the CIC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rano2013 said:
Hello guys,

this is my second topic on this wonderful forum. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Well, I landed with my wife last March, and as my wife was pregnant and needed extra care, we opted for delivery in Dubai due to the presence of family and excellent medical insurance offered by the company.

Now, I am planing to move definitively to Canada in 2015, and I need to start sponsoring my new born kid. I was planing to go and stay 26 days to get the initial approval, and then move back to Dubai till the visa is issued. But being told that I may need to stay their through the whole process.
I would appreciate your help and suggestions on what other options do I have, as I don't want to leave my family for long time.

Thanks a tons.
As a PR, you must be residing in Canada to sponsor your baby. Going to Canada, sending in the application and then re-joining your family overseas will certainly result in your application being denied when CIC finds out that you are not living in Canada.

Your only recourse is applying for a TRP for your baby stating the reasons that as you plan for your baby to stay in Canada permanently, your baby is not eligible for a visit visa and therefore, you apply for a TRP based on that it would be undue hardship on your family to be apart for months during the sponsorship process. Undue hardship on you being separated from your family and undue hardship on your wife being left alone with the baby. If you get the TRP, you can all go to Canada together.

If you don't get it, you must go alone and suffer the separation in order to sponsor your child. If that happens, you should only risk short visits to your wife and baby, no more than 2-3 weeks at a time as you must be living in Canada in order to sponsor and at some point in the process, they may ask you for proof of that.

papmanindia

Dec 8, 2009
Gurgaon
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File received - 12-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-08-2014
AOR Received.
Skipped
IELTS Request
Sent with APP
Med's Request
7 Oct 2014
Med's Done....
10 Oct 2014
Passport Req..
DM - 24 Feb 2015...PPR 25 Feb 2015...submitted 02-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13 March 2015
LANDED..........
18 April 2015
Leon said:
As a PR, you must be residing in Canada to sponsor your baby. Going to Canada, sending in the application and then re-joining your family overseas will certainly result in your application being denied when CIC finds out that you are not living in Canada.

Your only recourse is applying for a TRP for your baby stating the reasons that as you plan for your baby to stay in Canada permanently, your baby is not eligible for a visit visa and therefore, you apply for a TRP based on that it would be undue hardship on your family to be apart for months during the sponsorship process. Undue hardship on you being separated from your family and undue hardship on your wife being left alone with the baby. If you get the TRP, you can all go to Canada together.

If you don't get it, you must go alone and suffer the separation in order to sponsor your child. If that happens, you should only risk short visits to your wife and baby, no more than 2-3 weeks at a time as you must be living in Canada in order to sponsor and at some point in the process, they may ask you for proof of that.
Hi Leon,

I read the same issue and your suggestion in other post also. I too read many post regarding the same issue. but today , i found one of your post post stating that to be successfully sponsorship one should first qualify RO an then apply for sponsorship.

Please correct my understanding. I m also undergoing same situation where i did short landing from 18 Apr to 27 Apr and afterwards in India till now. Expected date of delivery is Jan 2016.

From the time i read your post of RO fulfilment. I am scared now and planning to get the delivery done in canada. this sudden plan of action will take me too roller coaster ride as wife and me both are on job and will need to lie or to take sabbatical to get delivery done in Canada. need tpo resolve many things as one has too before leaving in native country.

If you have any other alternative for me, where I can follow different approach to avoid leaving now and get delivery done in India, as you know, it requires a lot of care and we both will be strangers in Canada. In addition, health benefits in Canada will also create mess for me due to minimum applicability period.

Let me know, if u need more details. awaiting your reply.

regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
papmanindia said:
Hi Leon,

I read the same issue and your suggestion in other post also. I too read many post regarding the same issue. but today , i found one of your post post stating that to be successfully sponsorship one should first qualify RO an then apply for sponsorship.

Please correct my understanding. I m also undergoing same situation where i did short landing from 18 Apr to 27 Apr and afterwards in India till now. Expected date of delivery is Jan 2016.

From the time i read your post of RO fulfilment. I am scared now and planning to get the delivery done in canada. this sudden plan of action will take me too roller coaster ride as wife and me both are on job and will need to lie or to take sabbatical to get delivery done in Canada. need tpo resolve many things as one has too before leaving in native country.

If you have any other alternative for me, where I can follow different approach to avoid leaving now and get delivery done in India, as you know, it requires a lot of care and we both will be strangers in Canada. In addition, health benefits in Canada will also create mess for me due to minimum applicability period.

Let me know, if u need more details. awaiting your reply.

regards
As a PR who is not visa exempt to travel to Canada, you should try to avoid the hassle of having a baby outside Canada that you have to sponsor if possible. However, when you are contract bound to stay in your home country, it would be a hassle to try to have the baby in Canada too. You will have to try to figure out which one is easier.

Having to meet the RO before you can sponsor, is only required for those who are already in breach of the RO when they return to Canada. As long as you return to Canada while you can still meet it, you can sponsor right away.

However, there is no guarantee that your baby will be granted a TRV or a TRP to come with you to Canada so it is possible that you have to leave your baby and spouse behind and go alone. As a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor so you would then be separated from your family as long as it takes.

However, going to Canada now to have the baby could get expensive because even if you go to a province that normally grants first day health care, you would not qualify if you are not planning on staying for 6 months. Hence you would have to pay for the delivery yourself.

papmanindia

Dec 8, 2009
Gurgaon
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
22-08-2014
AOR Received.
Skipped
IELTS Request
Sent with APP
Med's Request
7 Oct 2014
Med's Done....
10 Oct 2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
13 March 2015
LANDED..........
18 April 2015
Leon said:
As a PR who is not visa exempt to travel to Canada, you should try to avoid the hassle of having a baby outside Canada that you have to sponsor if possible. However, when you are contract bound to stay in your home country, it would be a hassle to try to have the baby in Canada too. You will have to try to figure out which one is easier.

Having to meet the RO before you can sponsor, is only required for those who are already in breach of the RO when they return to Canada. As long as you return to Canada while you can still meet it, you can sponsor right away.

However, there is no guarantee that your baby will be granted a TRV or a TRP to come with you to Canada so it is possible that you have to leave your baby and spouse behind and go alone. As a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor so you would then be separated from your family as long as it takes.

However, going to Canada now to have the baby could get expensive because even if you go to a province that normally grants first day health care, you would not qualify if you are not planning on staying for 6 months. Hence you would have to pay for the delivery yourself.
Thanks for your reply. I misinterpreted your RO. I thought one has to spent 730 days and then SPONSOR. But you actually mean is, before applying for sponsorship one should have unexpired term of 730 days out of 5 years period and should spent these days in Canada.

Hope I m correct.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
papmanindia said:
Thanks for your reply. I misinterpreted your RO. I thought one has to spent 730 days and then SPONSOR. But you actually mean is, before applying for sponsorship one should have unexpired term of 730 days out of 5 years period and should spent these days in Canada.

Hope I m correct.
You are correct. If you are a new PR, the definition of meeting the RO is that you still have time to spend 730 days in Canada before your first 5 years as a PR are up. If you have been a PR for 5 years or longer, it is having spent 730 days in the past 5.

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Hi All,

Just to let you know that I applied for visa online to the Abu Dhabi embassy, and they processed it very quickly. They gave my son 5 years multi entry visa.

Thanks

papmanindia

Dec 8, 2009
Gurgaon
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
22-08-2014
AOR Received.
Skipped
IELTS Request
Sent with APP
Med's Request
7 Oct 2014
Med's Done....
10 Oct 2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
13 March 2015
LANDED..........
18 April 2015
Rano2013 said:
Hi All,

Just to let you know that I applied for visa online to the Abu Dhabi embassy, and they processed it very quickly. They gave my son 5 years multi entry visa.

Thanks
HI Rano,

That visa is TRV or TPR, can u please elaborate. and how much expenditure incurred on this.

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
They issued a 5 years TRV, I wasn't expecting it though :)
everything was online, and I paid around C$100. it took three weeks, and then they asked for the passport.
Now, I am planing to move in November.
Hope this will help

Oct 4, 2015
How to sponsor my (American) adopted children

I've read through pages on the CIC website. And I've spent hours reading post after post here - and I'm more confused and disoriented than when I started! LOL.

I'm a Canadian-born citizen, I'm not married, and never was. I moved to the USA in 2006 and received US Permanent Residence in 2008. I've lived here ever since. A couple of years ago I adopted two boys from foster care who are US citizens. (I was a foster parent for several years here in the USA, my two sons were not able to return to their birth families, so I adopted them as my own). Both boys (aged 11 and 13 now) have US passports and we have traveled twice to Canada with me for vacations, since their adoptions, to visit and get to know my family who all live in British Columbia, where I grew up. I am finishing my doctoral degree in clinical psychology that I started in 2009, and plan to move back to Canada, with my two adopted children, when i graduate in August 2016.

I have no idea where to start in the process of making arrangements for my two children to move permanently back to Canada with me. Help - I need some advice getting started, where to start, and if anyone knows that process I'm up against. I couldn't find any stories similar to mine in the posts and threads I've been reading here or elsewhere.

Can anyone help me? DO I need a lawyer?

PA-2-BC

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Re: How to sponsor my (American) adopted children

PA-2-BC-SingleAdoptedDad said:
I've read through pages on the CIC website. And I've spent hours reading post after post here - and I'm more confused and disoriented than when I started! LOL.

I'm a Canadian-born citizen, I'm not married, and never was. I moved to the USA in 2006 and received US Permanent Residence in 2008. I've lived here ever since. A couple of years ago I adopted two boys from foster care who are US citizens. (I was a foster parent for several years here in the USA, my two sons were not able to return to their birth families, so I adopted them as my own). Both boys (aged 11 and 13 now) have US passports and we have traveled twice to Canada with me for vacations, since their adoptions, to visit and get to know my family who all live in British Columbia, where I grew up. I am finishing my doctoral degree in clinical psychology that I started in 2009, and plan to move back to Canada, with my two adopted children, when i graduate in August 2016.

I have no idea where to start in the process of making arrangements for my two children to move permanently back to Canada with me. Help - I need some advice getting started, where to start, and if anyone knows that process I'm up against. I couldn't find any stories similar to mine in the posts and threads I've been reading here or elsewhere.

PA-2-BC

Once you decide to return, you can start the sposorship application from inside Canada. Check the CIC website and you will find all the information.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: How to sponsor my (American) adopted children

PA-2-BC-SingleAdoptedDad said:

PA-2-BC
You can find a list of help centre questions and answers here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?t=2

It seems that as a born Canadian, you have a choice of either sponsoring your children for PR or applying for their citizenship right away. Here is a page explaining the difference in process: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/adoption/differences.asp

You can find a citizenship application package for adoptees here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cit-adoption.asp including instructions.

The sponsorship forms would be here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/family.asp

The main differences between the processes would be that with the citizenship application they would become citizens right away while with PR sponsorship, they first become PR's and then you would have to apply for their citizenship.

With citizenship right away, they would be granted citizenship based on yours. They would not be required to attend a citizenship test or oath. Gaining citizenship this way, they would however be unable to pass Canadian citizenship to their children in case their children are born abroad and the mother is not Canadian. Such children could however be brought to Canada by sponsoring them for PR.

By sponsoring them for PR, you are as a sponsor financially responsible for them for the next 10 years after they get PR and once you apply for their citizenship, if the older one is 14 already, he would have to take the citizenship exam and pass it.

I would advise going for citizenship right away in this case.

You do not need a lawyer to help you apply. The forms are pretty simple to fill out and if you have questions, you can always come back here.

Oct 4, 2015
Thanks Leon and Rano2013

Do I have toapply for citizenship for my kids now before I move back? or can I move back to Canada with them and then apply for citizenship once I'm in Canada?

Grant