+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to send passport to NYC

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
I've been trying to find more information about how to send and receive back a passport to NYC. We are sending it from Canada. From what I understand, because i do not have a corporate account with a courier, they will send the passport back to me by regular mail. I know if I was sending it to Buffalo I would be able to send a prepaid envelope and they would mail it back through Canada. This worries me as I don't want the passport lost, but I don't seem to have any other option.

So, I wanted to inquiry:
1) How people send the passport to NYC (I was going to use xpresspost)
2) how they got it back from NYC and whether anyone's was lost

thanks,
canbrit

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
hello,
we are in Canada too and last month we needed to have some very important documents to be authenticated in the US. We needed to send them to New York state and then to be back to us in Canada and not being lost. So we used UPS service - we bought prepaid envelope, wrote our address on it and put it into the main envelope together with documents and sent to the place they needed to go. This way we were easily able to check on-line when the office in the US mailed it back to us by tracking number that was assigned to the return envelope. And we were happy to track and be sure that they received it and then safely got them back in that envelope we sent to them.
Good luck

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks, Suin.

It says:

For addresses in Canada :
Standard Procedure: The Consulate will return documents to addresses in Canada via U.S. Postal Service First Class Mail (Regular Mail).

Courier Service: Unless it is prepaid from a corporate account, we will not return your documents using ANY courier services (Fedex, UPS, DHL).

I know in Buffalo it works different, but it appears that for NYC this is not possible. I don't have a corporate account.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Hello, canbrit,
We didn't have any a corporate account either. They ask this just to make sure that you paid for your envelope and postal service fee. In our case we used a pre-paid service by visa card. But as far as we know by experience, UPS can charge you on delivery back too using cash money. I don't think you need to worry about it.
have a good luck.

KevinsJane

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Canbrit,

I just returned from Shoppers Drug Mart for the 4-photos requested, then went to UPS, and explained what I needed in order for my passport to be tracked/returned. I showed the information, stated on the documents, regarding Courier Service; prepaid from a corporate account, to the lady at the UPS counter. She was kind enough to get the authorization for me to purchase a pre-paid envelope, for NY to return to our address, in Canada, with their UPS account information. I enclosed it with my passport, pictures and supporting documents. I understand this does not mean this is how it will be returned...but I had a peace of mind doing it this way and thought asking couldn't hurt.

The cost for the return prepaid overnight envelope, (YMMV depending on postal code) was $44. They actually got off cheap, cause I was prepared to pay $150! :)

Envelope to arrive overnight in NY, tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
KevinsJane said:
Hi Canbrit,

I just returned from Shoppers Drug Mart for the 4-photos requested, then went to UPS, and explained what I needed in order for my passport to be tracked/returned. I showed the information, stated on the documents, regarding Courier Service; prepaid from a corporate account, to the lady at the UPS counter. She was kind enough to get the authorization for me to purchase a pre-paid envelope, for NY to return to our address, in Canada, with their UPS account information. I enclosed it with my passport, pictures and supporting documents. I understand this does not mean this is how it will be returned...but I had a peace of mind doing it this way and thought asking couldn't hurt.

The cost for the return prepaid overnight envelope, (YMMV depending on postal code) was $44. They actually got off cheap, cause I was prepared to pay $150! :)

Envelope to arrive overnight in NY, tomorrow.

Hope this helps.
Hi KevinsJane,

So does that mean you used the UPS corporate account, or they just authorized you to get a return envelope, which they normally wouldn't do unless you had a corporate account? I was not really clear WHY it had to be a corporate account.

I'll be eager to hear how quickly you get everything back.

Canbrit

KevinsJane

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Canbrit,

CONGRATS!!!!

Heads Up...My UPS venture was conducted at a UPS store and not at an actual UPS warehouse shipping facility.

Here goes:

The copied receipt label from the prepaid envelope reads:

UPS Worldwide Services WayBill

Also, listed on the Waybill, is a UPS Receivers Account No. # which is 6 digits, not to be mistaken for the tracking # which is entirely different; 11 digits.

I am assuming this is their stores corporate account #. As when she clarified with the supervisor in specific, showing the Courier Instructions, on my form, the supervisor said, "Sure, we can do that". The supervisor then approached the counter, handwrote the UPS Receivers Account # on the WayBill, handed it over to the lady for me to fill out (the shipper; NY info, receiver; my info). She then instructed the lady to phone 1800UPS to ensure charges coincided; NY's, US zip code to my Canadian postal code.

In hearing her conversation, over the phone she explained a customer was using the stores UPS account number for a prepaid document package, shipping from NY zip code 10020-1175 to Canadian postal code xxxxxx, and was confirming the exact amount to charge.

I've already checked to ensure it's in route...and it has been scanned for delivery, to arrive tomorrow; NY...but I'll have to wait to see what happens at the border...sometimes that slows down overnight deliveries.

I hope this helps you in your quest Canbrit! :)

Maybe copy, paste then print out what I wrote to bring with you to UPS, just in case you run into someone not wanting to perform their job that day...lol. You know how people are...but man after the paperwork we compiled, and the waiting time we just put in...we are more determined now, to keep our eye on the prize!!!

Yes, presently I am in Canada, playing house...hubbys working the oilrigs...won't be home until next week. He still has no clue on the GREAT NEWS. I'll finally get to speak with him after his shift, to let him know what a Fabulous Day he had!!! It's not something I want to announce in an email, as the excitement cannot be heard! :) CHEERS

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
My husband is going to courier it today. Your comments were really helpful. A friend spoke to people at the UPS Store and they said they would be able to send it for us using their corporate account. I am waiting to hear how things go today.

Have you had any updates as to whether the passport has been received in NYC?

Update:

My husband just called to say he sent off the passport. Only thing is they had him put the return adress to be the UPS Store. They said this is what they have had people do in the past, but it does worry me. He also had him updated the return address on the form itself to be the store not our own address. They seemed to say they do this all the time, but I worried what would happen if they don't accept the courier and then send it back to the store by regular mail, or if for some reason it is not acceptable to send back to a store not a home address.

They gave the impression they do this all the time, and that they would just call him to pick it up. Anyone else done this successfully?

KevinsJane

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well Congrats Canbrit!!! I am sure the returning of your passport will arrive safely and PROMPTLY!

Yes, I checked the same evening I sent it out, to ensure it was in route and it was. It arrived at the Consulates mailroom, the next day at 10am! Well worth the money spent! I have checked to see if my return tracking number was in the system...but not yet. (Yes, I was being hopeful) :)! UPS vs. Ecas...lol!

Now back to the waiting...but this time with a 30-day time frame! 25 to go! :)

Have you felt that sigh of relief yet? Mine came only a few hours after sending my passport off. I didn't know I was holding it in so tight! I promise to report back anything new!

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving Day with your family!

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

We checked the status and UPS attempted the delivery today, but there was an "exception" as it was not open due to holiday. It says they will try again tomorrow. I'll be eager to see when it gets into their hands, but it did get across the broder ok etc.

I'll be so happy when we have the passport back in our hands.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
So our package was delivered last week, and today when I check ECAS it says "Decision Made". So hoping they'll use the UPS envelope and send it back soon.

Any update on yours?

KevinsJane

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Canbrit,

Just read your post, then checked mine:

A decision has been made on your application.

Checked the tracking on UPS and there isn't any movement! Though everything seems to finally be moving at a quick pace! So relieved! I am pretty ecstatic on getting my life off hold! :)

Hope you had a wonderful time in Canada, with your family!

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Same situation for me. It looks like they haven't sent it back via UPS yet, the tracking number still doesn't find anything.

malirca

Star Member
Mar 10, 2011
Miami, FL
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2011
AOR Received.
July 7, 2011 stating application received in VO June 24, 2011
File Transfer...
June 14, 2011
Med's Done....
04-04-2011 Redone Sept. 11, 2013
Passport Req..
April 16, 2013
LANDED..........
Hoping to be As Soon as Possible :)
what size was the UPS envelope that you sent for them to send back your passport?

They are asking for a 16" by 10" min envelope... my husband went and got what they sent me to get.. an express pak.. but its more of a plastic like envelope.. not rigid at all.....

im lost since they say they cant fold the one document.. and this isnt a rigid envelope and obviously it will get bent etc...