+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to rent before you arrive?

New Ontarian

Apr 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
4) the person taking your money may not be authorized to rent the it out
How would I know if the person is authorized to rent the place even if I meet him in person?

New Ontarian

Apr 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Even if you met the "landlord" in person, it is difficult to know if the person or company taking your money is authorized to rent it out.
So how to make sure that the person is authorized to rent the place?

New Ontarian

Apr 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aycan1998 said:
What I did was to contact my countries consolate office in Canada and asked for references with respect to places to rent from. They provided a list and I contacted one or two of the renters who agreed that once I was able to show proof of funds to cover the rental cost that they were more than willing to rent me an apartment.

wishing you all the best and good luck shinygirl
Hi,
What do you mean proof of fund? Would a Canadian bank statement be sufficient?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New Ontarian said:
So how to make sure that the person is authorized to rent the place?
It's difficult and very often you have to take the risk. Even you are able to identify the person you dealing with is the landlord (by asking him/her to provide you the supportings), there might be rental restrictions from strata council or city bylaws to evict you (in this case, you might be compensated by the landlord).

New Ontarian

Apr 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
It's difficult and very often you have to take the risk. Even you are able to identify the person you dealing with is the landlord (by asking him/her to provide you the supportings), there might be rental restrictions from strata council or city bylaws to evict you (in this case, you might be compensated by the landlord).
Many thanks for the info... Wouldn't be better then to go through a registered agent or MLS website? Additionally, would tenants pay commission to agents? Or it's the landlord responsibility?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New Ontarian said:
Many thanks for the info... Wouldn't be better then to go through a registered agent or MLS website? Additionally, would tenants pay commission to agents? Or it's the landlord responsibility?
I never used an agent for renting, so other members would be helpful to answer this commission question. MLS is mainly about buying real properties in Canada. In provinces such as BC, commission is paid by the seller. I'm not sure if it's better to go through a registered agent. Especially those little experienced licensed agents, they are not aware about city bylaws and therefore cannot advice you the risk.

Aycan1998

Oct 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New Ontarian said:
Hi,
What do you mean proof of fund? Would a Canadian bank statement be sufficient?
[/quote
Yes, thats what they told me.