+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove intent to return to Canada after my spouse gets PR?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
You need to show then that you have been doing housing searches. Explain the area you want to live in (ex. Toronto) and show houses and apartments you have been looking to rent from online. You can't just say you will move back. You have to prepare for it. To do that you can show rental searches. Show jobs you have applied to online (even if you don't intend to take that specific job). Show money in you account that will be able to afford these things. Show your training skills and education that will help you and your partner to get a job. There is a lot you can do without having family or friends to give you a place to live.

micmac101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2010
North Shore of New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2010
LANDED..........
Husband arrived October 17,2014
GREAKLY said:
Hello everybody,

I am Canadian citizen and I am sponsoring my wife to come to Canada. We sent the family class sponsorship application to the CIC in March 2013. In April 2013 I was approved as a sponsor and our file was sent to the regional office (Moscow, Russia). A year later in April 2014 we have received an email, requesting additional information proving the genuineness of our marriage.

One of the things the Visa Officer did not like about our application was the fact that it wasn't clear to him/her whether I was living in Canada or not. Indeed, I am self-employed, so I could work pretty much from anywhere. At the time we filed the application I was living in Canada. But since the application process took so long (over a year now) and, naturally, I wanted to be with my wife, I began spending more and more time outside Canada.

The law says than in order to sponsor a spouse I have to live in Canada or plan to return to Canada once my spouse receives the PR. And here comes the "Catch 22": in order to come to Canada my wife needs the PR. In order for her to get the PR I/we need to prove that I/we plan to return to Canada once the PR is approved. But I do not want to return to Canada without her. So, I can't really return to Canada until she gets the PR. Vicious circle...

Has anybody been in my shoes or got any idea how to deal with such situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hello, do you have a place in Canada that you are paying rent or mortgage. If so this is proof enough your intent on returning to Canada. All Canadian Citizens by birth are not required to be in Canada but at that end of the Processing you must show proof you are returning, along with your wife God Willing... Where do you live??

Micmac101

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
xxdieselxx said:
I think if the ONLY concern about your wife getting her PR is you coming to canada but if it were me, I would be buying a one way ticket to Canada in the province and city in which I plan to reside (preferably one with family or friends residing) ASAP. Then come to Canada, Lease an apartment or house to show that you have moved, get a provincial drivers license and healthcare set up and make sure they have the documentation ASAP. I believe that I had read that you are self employed and can work anywhere so having an income is not an issue, just showing ties to Canada and intent on living here.
I don't think that would be a solution. Our intent of moving back to Canada was not the only issue with my wife's application. At first, the immigration officer believed that our marriage was not genuine. I did not bring that issue to the forum because I knew exactly how to deal with it. We have traveled together, have joint finances, wills to each other and etc. So, it was only a matter of translating all those documents and mailing them to the visa office.

However, if at this point I move to Canada alone it might look good from the "intent to return" standpoint, but would be not so good from the "living together" point. I mean, I just sent them 100+ pages of documents proving how much we want to be together and now I should buy a one-way ticket to Canada and get separated for 6+ months. It's just not right. Because, all other reasons aside, I simply want to be with my wife.

Also moving back alone is not feasible from financial point of view. We have saved 10+ K CAD to cover our moving expenses (mainly plane tickets) and first few months of living expenses in Canada (mainly housing). If I go alone and she stays we will simply waste most of that money. I mean, we received the previous letter from the visa office in early April and replied to it in early May. It took them almost three months to process it. It's likely that the same would happen with this one. Even if they approve my wife's application, it will take some time to process the PR visa as well. So, overall, if I fly tomorrow to Canada and get a place there this would mean 6+ months separation. Which is harsh from both: personal and financial points.

So, flying alone one-way to Canada tomorrow doesn't seem to be a solution in our case...

angryrectangle

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
11-04-2014
Med's Done....
17-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
Ugh, I feel you! I am also waiting on my husband's PR to move to Canada.

I commented initially saying that I had included the following as proof of intent to resettle in Canada:

- Emails between myself and family/friends talking about our intentions to move back to Canada
- A notarized letter from my father saying he's expecting us, we'll be staying with him, and he'll be financially responsible for us when we arrive
- A letter written by myself discussing our plans to re-establish in Canada, and WHY we were 100% committed to living there

My husband and I live in Syria, and I wrote a very long and detailed letter explaining that we live in a WAR ZONE and are DESPERATE TO LEAVE. I would have thought this would be a pretty compelling reason to return to Canada. Apparently not, because I recently got a note on my file stating "Sponsor will have to prove intent to resettle."

Uuuugghhhh are these really human beings processing the files?? Do they really think I'm going to hang back in Syria while my husband goes to Canada????

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
angryrectangle said:
Ugh, I feel you! I am also waiting on my husband's PR to move to Canada.

I commented initially saying that I had included the following as proof of intent to resettle in Canada:

- Emails between myself and family/friends talking about our intentions to move back to Canada
- A notarized letter from my father saying he's expecting us, we'll be staying with him, and he'll be financially responsible for us when we arrive
- A letter written by myself discussing our plans to re-establish in Canada, and WHY we were 100% committed to living there
I do not have any family and friends in Canada. At least to a point that they would be willing to write letters to immigration office.

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
angryrectangle said:
My husband and I live in Syria, and I wrote a very long and detailed letter explaining that we live in a WAR ZONE and are DESPERATE TO LEAVE. I would have thought this would be a pretty compelling reason to return to Canada. Apparently not, because I recently got a note on my file stating "Sponsor will have to prove intent to resettle."

Uuuugghhhh are these really human beings processing the files?? Do they really think I'm going to hang back in Syria while my husband goes to Canada????
Exactly my point. Given the recent course of political actions, Russia MIGHT become a war zone in the near future. Yet, I still have to prove that I plan to come back to Canada.

Reactions: bahar.april

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
SA Received: August 29, 2013
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
GREAKLY said:
I don't think that would be a solution. Our intent of moving back to Canada was not the only issue with my wife's application. At first, the immigration officer believed that our marriage was not genuine. I did not bring that issue to the forum because I knew exactly how to deal with it. We have traveled together, have joint finances, wills to each other and etc. So, it was only a matter of translating all those documents and mailing them to the visa office.

However, if at this point I move to Canada alone it might look good from the "intent to return" standpoint, but would be not so good from the "living together" point. I mean, I just sent them 100+ pages of documents proving how much we want to be together and now I should buy a one-way ticket to Canada and get separated for 6+ months. It's just not right. Because, all other reasons aside, I simply want to be with my wife.

Also moving back alone is not feasible from financial point of view. We have saved 10+ K CAD to cover our moving expenses (mainly plane tickets) and first few months of living expenses in Canada (mainly housing). If I go alone and she stays we will simply waste most of that money. I mean, we received the previous letter from the visa office in early April and replied to it in early May. It took them almost three months to process it. It's likely that the same would happen with this one. Even if they approve my wife's application, it will take some time to process the PR visa as well. So, overall, if I fly tomorrow to Canada and get a place there this would mean 6+ months separation. Which is harsh from both: personal and financial points.

So, flying alone one-way to Canada tomorrow doesn't seem to be a solution in our case...
I agree that moving back is not the best idea now knowing that the VO also thinks that your relationship is not genuine. That kinda changes things a bit, but It seems as though you have that part figured out now though. Living apart would suck. In my case, I only had to do it for 2 weeks because I was lucky enough to get her a visitor visa for the remainder of her wait for the visa.

Were you certain of where you planned to move in Canada and included the "why's" on your application? Maybe they thought you were a bit flaky because you didn't have a solid enough plan for them. You said that you don't have friends or family in Canada to write letters on your behalf. Maybe a heartfelt letter from you showing that you have researched the provinces and cities and chose say Calgary because of it's great job market for your wife and close proximity to the mountains because you BOTH love to ski or snowboard. Or Vancouver because you both love the ocean and want to buy a boat and are tired of harsh winters. Or the interior of BC because you both love to hike. Also adding that you have checked into the housing market and can rent a place for X dollars per month and have saved XXX amount for your return to cover start-up costs. Can you find, email and/or join any Canadian affiliations online in relation to your work or extra curricular activities that you do to show that you have started networking in Canada? Anything that would help show your interest in being back here, even if you have no actual interest in being in the group long term. I am not much for group things, but if I were in your shoes, I would be scrambling for anything that would tie me to Canada and help my case, even if it was BS.

It's a sh!tty situation having a visa officer in full control of your future. I wish you the best in swaying their current assumptions.

JAMO1973

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 6, 2014
AOR Received.
Nov. 19, 2014 AOR2 Feb.12 and request for PGR same day
File Transfer...
Nov. 24, 2014
Med's Done....
July 24, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 28, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 6, 2015
I am also a Canadian born citizen, living in Mexico and sponsoring my wife. We just sent our application. What I put for intent to return was letters from my mother,sister and best friend in Canada all offering to have us stay with them until we re-establish. I also have a letter from my mother-in-law here stating that she knows of our intent to go to Canada and a letter from a friend here stating the same. I also wrote a STRONG letter letting the VO know that our time here is done. We want to leave here and explaining the reasons why. I also explained in the letter that I have been checking websites to keep up-to-date on the job market in Canada. I included my resume also to show that I am ready to look for work. I finally explained that I couldn't rent a place or accept a job in Canada until my wife's visa has been approved because if not approved we will remain here. Now like I said I just sent the application so I don't know what will happen but that is what I did.

commonlawsponsor

May 29, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2014
LANDED..........
Will land 27-11-2014
angryrectangle said:
There was also a note on my file saying "VO office to decide if sponsor has intent to resettle" or something along those lines. I don't know if it is a big deal. I wouldn't stress out about it yet until they ask you for something.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello everybody,

I am Canadian citizen and I am sponsoring my wife to come to Canada. We sent the family class sponsorship application to the CIC in March 2013. In April 2013 I was approved as a sponsor and our file was sent to the regional office (Moscow, Russia). A year later in April 2014 we have received an email, requesting additional information proving the genuineness of our marriage.

One of the things the Visa Officer did not like about our application was the fact that it wasn't clear to him/her whether I was living in Canada or not. Indeed, I am self-employed, so I could work pretty much from anywhere. At the time we filed the application I was living in Canada. But since the application process took so long (over a year now) and, naturally, I wanted to be with my wife, I began spending more and more time outside Canada.

The law says than in order to sponsor a spouse I have to live in Canada or plan to return to Canada once my spouse receives the PR. And here comes the "Catch 22": in order to come to Canada my wife needs the PR. In order for her to get the PR I/we need to prove that I/we plan to return to Canada once the PR is approved. But I do not want to return to Canada without her. So, I can't really return to Canada until she gets the PR. Vicious circle...

Has anybody been in my shoes or got any idea how to deal with such situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
So GREAKLY, any update on your process?

runner21

Jun 29, 2017
My wife is a Canadian citizen and now living with me since 2014. She used to work while she was in Canada during 2013-14. we had a rented place (apartment) and I was a PR occasionally visiting Canada.Now I have lost my PR and want to be sponsored by my wife.

My wife and I have some friends there in Toronto.

We can also arrange a letter from my wife's previous employer that they will provide her a job while she will be in Canada. We can also arrange letters from friends stating that they will let us live in their place while we will be in Canada.

We can show our Bank statement having balances there to at least meet 6 months expenses.

Will this work?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
My wife is a Canadian citizen and now living with me since 2014. She used to work while she was in Canada during 2013-14. we had a rented place (apartment) and I was a PR occasionally visiting Canada.Now I have lost my PR and want to be sponsored by my wife.

My wife and I have some friends there in Toronto.

We can also arrange a letter from my wife's previous employer that they will provide her a job while she will be in Canada. We can also arrange letters from friends stating that they will let us live in their place while we will be in Canada.

We can show our Bank statement having balances there to at least meet 6 months expenses.

Will this work?
I saw from your other messages that your family lives out of Canada, so it's clear Outland Family Class Application.

First your wife would need to create a letter of intent and try explain why your family want to move/return to Canada and to show intent and detailed plan to do so with supporting documents.

Tell your reasons, like:
- Beautiful country.
- To be close to friends.
- Great education system.
- Advantages of Canadian Universal health care.
- Possible difficulties at home country.

Include maybe notarized declarations from Sponsor parents, Principal Applicant parents and friends that they are aware of your plans to move to Canada.

To list a detailed plan for re-establishing in Canada and steps you would take or will be taken to achieve it.

- Prepare our finances (Set up Cross-Border banking; Cash reserves (show money)).
- Plans to create/restore Credit History.
- Intend to find a job for Sponsor and steps to achieve this goal ( job searches, networking, etc.).
- If you have children - show school research in intended area to live.
- Maybe plans for education for you (PA) or Sponsor.
- Housing ( attempts to find place to live in Canada, contacts with agencies, letters, emails).
- Driver’s license ( supporting documents showing proof of driving experience/history).
- Car insurance (Letter of Experience from current insurance, Auto Quotes from Canadian agencies).
- Moving ( intent to downloaded the form “BSF186” (Personal Effects Accounting Document) and to start to prepare a list of all the goods you are planning to bring into Canada with you and that are arriving later).
- eMail - move/backup.
- Health Insurance (...We started to do a research of insurance companies which sell packages that cover health costs during Ontario OHIP 3 months waiting period. Requested a quote from Blue Cross of Canada about their new immigrant insurance plan. Please see enclosed the Travel insurance quote from Blue Cross Travel Insurance for immigrants or returning Canadians...).
- To get a Canadian Passport for Sponsor.
- Do you have Pets - plans to move them.

At least that's what I did as a Sponsor.

Reactions: Tracy0011

runner21

Jun 29, 2017
I saw from your other messages that your family lives out of Canada, so it's clear Outland Family Class Application.

First your wife would need to create a letter of intent and try explain why your family want to move/return to Canada and to show intent and detailed plan to do so with supporting documents.

Tell your reasons, like:
- Beautiful country.

Include maybe notarized declarations from Sponsor parents, Principal Applicant parents and friends that they are aware of your plans to move to Canada.

To list a detailed plan for re-establishing in Canada and steps you would take or will be taken to achieve it.

- Prepare our finances (Set up Cross-Border banking; Cash reserves (show money)).
- Intend to find a job for Sponsor and steps to achieve this goal ( job searches, networking, etc.).
- Housing ( attempts to find place to live in Canada, contacts with agencies, letters, emails).
- Driver’s license ( supporting documents showing proof of driving experience/history).
- Car insurance (Letter of Experience from current insurance, Auto Quotes from Canadian agencies).
- Moving ( intent to downloaded the form “BSF186” (Personal Effects Accounting Document) and to start to prepare a list of all the goods you are planning to bring into Canada with you and that are arriving later).
- eMail - move/backup.
- Health Insurance (...We started to do a research of insurance companies which sell packages that cover health costs during Ontario OHIP 3 months waiting period. Requested a quote from Blue Cross of Canada about their new immigrant insurance plan. Please see enclosed the Travel insurance quote from Blue Cross Travel Insurance for immigrants or returning Canadians...).

Thanks a lot. Your case was pretty fast. where are you from? I am from Bangladesh and it is in the CIC website that in our region it takes 12 months!

runner21

Jun 29, 2017

Tell your reasons, like:
- Beautiful country.

- eMail - move/backup.

My son is a student at a Canadian University. That may be a good reason.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks a lot. Your case was pretty fast. where are you from? I am from Bangladesh and it is in the CIC website that in our region it takes 12 months!
Our case was a bit complicated from my point of view. I am a dual US/CAN citizen (Sponsor) living and working in US, the wife (PR) originally is from Ukraine. It was like 2 months delay with me (Sponsor approval), maybe because of previous sponsorships 20 years ago. After that (Sponsor Approval) they sent the case overseas (to Kiev, Ukraine) and that's where I was surprised how quickly they turned things around. Also they gave us very decent amount of time for landing - CORP was issued in the beginning of March 2018 and expire in January 2019.