+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to pin the date when you become a naturalized citizen?

jamiel886

Jun 16, 2020
Hi all, I searched the forum and all I got for this question is either,
1. spend 75 dollars and wait for 10 months to get it
2. call IRCC to find out

Just wondering how do you all find out the date when you become a naturalized citizen?

Thank you.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The day you cut up your PR card and say the Canadian oath online. You will not get Canadian citizenship automatically by waiting and doing nothing. You cannot hold your PR status and Canadian citizenship same time.

Reactions: gen_z

jamiel886

Jun 16, 2020
I never had a PR card. I landed as a dependent child of my immigrant parents. Now, I am sponsoring my wife who is not a Canadian. Now, as I am filling out the application form, one of the questions asks "what was the date you became a naturalized citizen?" It was like 22 years ago...

That's why I am asking.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I never had a PR card. I landed as a dependent child of my immigrant parents. Now, I am sponsoring my wife who is not a Canadian. Now, as I am filling out the application form, one of the questions asks "what was the date you became a naturalized citizen?" It was like 22 years ago...

That's why I am asking.
What documents do you have for your citizenship? I believe the certificate of citizenship has an effective date.

Reactions: gen_z

jamiel886

Jun 16, 2020
What documents do you have for your citizenship? I believe the certificate of citizenship has an effective date.
The certificate was in a light blue with the flags of all provinces surrounding it, and it was handed to me by a judge in person but . I only have the citizenship card now. It does not have the effective date as far as I know.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The certificate was in a light blue with the flags of all provinces surrounding it, and it was handed to me by a judge in person but . I only have the citizenship card now. It does not have the effective date as far as I know.
If you got citizenship when you were a child, I think in most cases your parents would have got at the same time - might check records if they have anything (or in your family's possession).

jamiel886

Jun 16, 2020
I got it when I was in my teens. I have a copy of the certificate which does not have an effective date on it. It's really frustrating...
I am in Taiwan now and there is no line for expat to call IRCC to verify the information. Totally stuck here.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I got it when I was in my teens. I have a copy of the certificate which does not have an effective date on it. It's really frustrating...
I am in Taiwan now and there is no line for expat to call IRCC to verify the information. Totally stuck here.
Again, your parents?

At any rate, my suggestion - note, i cannot say whether this will cause problems, but I feel reasonably confident that the date of citizenship is something IRCC asks for here primarily as supplemental identification information (and possibly for some reasons that apply to some applications but don't apply to your situation, like citizenship of children) ...

So I'd suggest:
-apply for the new citizenship certificate to get your effective date (or the records search but may as well get the certificate while you're at it);
-keep a copy of the receipt and your application for that;
-put your BEST POSSIBLE GUESS of when you became a naturalized citizen in the form;
-include a letter of explanation that you do not have this info since you were naturalized as a minor, so you have provided the closest date you are aware of, but you have applied for the certificate and include copy of that receipt/app and will provide the correct date of naturalization when ready (which will probably take longer than your sponsorship application).

Again, this isn't ideal, and use at your own risk. But I seriously doubt that the date you became a citizen is that critical to IRCC in this case (and they should be able to access that information themselves anyway, I'd think, although not sure about privacy act limtiations). And I think they would be very unlikely to send your app back if you approach as I suggest.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If you need the date to fill out sponsorship application, what I did was putting in the best guess date and I include a letter of explaination.
No one in my family remember exactly what date we became Canadians. It was too long ago and my parents are too old to remember where they put that notification letter (for the oath ceremony) nor have any photos with date stamps on them.

I too do not have a certificate. I have a citizenship card with no date on it.

Reactions: armoured

Major2710

Star Member
Dec 22, 2021
my husband was in the same situation as you, couldn't find the date

eventually found the certificate with the date on the bottom right

jamiel886

Jun 16, 2020
I got it when I was in my teens. I have a copy of the certificate which does not have an effective date on it. It's really mind boggling...
If you need the date to fill out sponsorship application, what I did was putting in the best guess date and I include a letter of explaination.
No one in my family remember exactly what date we became Canadians. It was too long ago and my parents are too old to remember where they put that notification letter (for the oath ceremony) nor have any photos with date stamps on them.

I too do not have a certificate. I have a citizenship card with no date on it.
Did you put in a guesstimate date and got the PR for your spouse?

jamiel886

Jun 16, 2020
Again, your parents?

At any rate, my suggestion - note, i cannot say whether this will cause problems, but I feel reasonably confident that the date of citizenship is something IRCC asks for here primarily as supplemental identification information (and possibly for some reasons that apply to some applications but don't apply to your situation, like citizenship of children) ...

So I'd suggest:
-apply for the new citizenship certificate to get your effective date (or the records search but may as well get the certificate while you're at it);
-keep a copy of the receipt and your application for that;
-put your BEST POSSIBLE GUESS of when you became a naturalized citizen in the form;
-include a letter of explanation that you do not have this info since you were naturalized as a minor, so you have provided the closest date you are aware of, but you have applied for the certificate and include copy of that receipt/app and will provide the correct date of naturalization when ready (which will probably take longer than your sponsorship application).

Again, this isn't ideal, and use at your own risk. But I seriously doubt that the date you became a citizen is that critical to IRCC in this case (and they should be able to access that information themselves anyway, I'd think, although not sure about privacy act limtiations). And I think they would be very unlikely to send your app back if you approach as I suggest.
I keep my own docs.