+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to obtain Work permit at the Port of Entry (PoE)

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hello there,
I am asking for a friend of mine since this is the first time he would have to do this.
He has been offered a job from a company in BC, under LMIA positive. The company has forwarded him the LMIA letter and reference number (which is also on the letter). He also has the Job offer letter signed by the HR of the company.
According to the official website, he will be taking medical exam at his home country as "upfront medical" type. Once arriving in the Airport, he will apply/present his documents to the border officer in order to get the Work permit.
My questions are:
1/ What document/confirmation number, etc... that he should obtain once the medical exam is done? How does the designated medical clinic know where to forward his result to, if he does the medical before obtaining the work permit?
2/ What type of documents that he needs to produce at the POE (Vancouver airport in this case) to prove that he is qualified for the job?
3/ Will the work permit be issued to him right at the Vancouver airport (POE) or it will be mailed to him at later stage?
Thank you for all of your advices

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Is your friend absolutely confident that the LMIA offer is real and not fake? Did he pay a consultant or the company for the LMIA number?

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Is your friend absolutely confident that the LMIA offer is real and not fake? Did he pay a consultant or the company for the LMIA number?
My friend has actually been working for this company in Europe but for some reason, the company cannot apply work permit for him as internal transfer. So the HR department did the LMIA for him. He does not pay anything to anyone but the medical exam fees, work permit fees, etc...

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Okay. Good. I'm not sure how to prove his qualifications other than having evidence of everything that is listed as a qualification in the job profile or posting or offer letter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello there,
I am asking for a friend of mine since this is the first time he would have to do this.
He has been offered a job from a company in BC, under LMIA positive. The company has forwarded him the LMIA letter and reference number (which is also on the letter). He also has the Job offer letter signed by the HR of the company.
According to the official website, he will be taking medical exam at his home country as "upfront medical" type. Once arriving in the Airport, he will apply/present his documents to the border officer in order to get the Work permit.
My questions are:
1/ What document/confirmation number, etc... that he should obtain once the medical exam is done? How does the designated medical clinic know where to forward his result to, if he does the medical before obtaining the work permit?
2/ What type of documents that he needs to produce at the POE (Vancouver airport in this case) to prove that he is qualified for the job?
3/ Will the work permit be issued to him right at the Vancouver airport (POE) or it will be mailed to him at later stage?
Thank you for all of your advices
Does he require a TRV to travel to Canada?

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Okay. Good. I'm not sure how to prove his qualifications other than having evidence of everything that is listed as a qualification in the job profile or posting or offer letter.
At the moment, he has Job certification from this company office in Europe, saying that he was doing this job in EU and of course it is matching with his job here in Canada
Does he require a TRV to travel to Canada?
Yes he does need TRV to travel to Canada, but he has already had valid visitor visa to Canada. So the company HR advised him to obtain the Work Permit at the POE

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
At the moment, he has Job certification from this company office in Europe, saying that he was doing this job in EU and of course it is matching with his job here in Canada

Yes he does need TRV to travel to Canada, but he has already had valid visitor visa to Canada. So the company HR advised him to obtain the Work Permit at the POE
People who require TRVs cannot apply for a work permit at a POE. They are required to apply for work permits outside of Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=171&top=17

Reactions: k.h.p. and babybenz