+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to obtain Canadian driving license for Pakistanis!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
cocknbull said:
NOC should be obtained for domestic driving license not international because to get license in Canada you will present your domestic license not international. They are two different things domestic license and international driving license. On international driving license you can only drive for first three months in Ontario. You have to check with other provinces what their requirements are.

Attest domestic driver's license NOC only from MOFA because you won't need International driving NOC for any purpose.

By the way I had an old book license and they also attested that book for me. I mean I got domestic driver's license NOC attested and original driver's license book also. But to be honest you only need original NOC attested not driver's license itself.

Good luck.....
I also think you have to get International license stamped at the border when you land to be able to use it....

cocknbull

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dbss said:
I also think you have to get International license stamped at the border when you land to be able to use it....
I am not sure about it to be honest. I have got international driving license but I never used it.

I googled this query and didn't find any evidence that Internation driving permit(IDP) needs to be stamped at border. It should work as it is at least in Ontario. here is the link

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drive-ontario-visitors

rogue_shah

Apr 8, 2013
Ok I will get domestic.
I think mofa will stamp etc a copy of our licenses as current licenses are just one card.

I am going to Saskatchewan so fingers crossed!

S Kamran

Sep 13, 2013
How to obtain the "NOC" for driving license from Lahore, Pakistan?? I would appreciate if someone can walk me through the process. Thanx.

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
cocknbull said:
How to obtain Canadian driving license for Pakistanis immigrating from Pakistan to Canada

This procedure is for Ontario province though other provinces have more or less same rules

In Pakistan we have Right hand drive vehicles but in Canada they have left hand drive vehicles so some training may be needed to adjust road conditions.

Which Canadian category licence we can get

1. If we have over 24 months 'Pakistani' driving experience -we can get the Ontario full G Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24 months] Pakistani driving experience -we can get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
3. If we have less than 12 months Pakistani experience or no experience we can get the Ontario G1 license.
4. In any case we will be required to complete a vision test and pass the knowledge test

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':

1. We must obtain a "No objection Certificate" (NOC) from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining our D/License stating how old our license is and how much driving experience we have from Pakistan.

Step-2 -The Tests to take:

If we have over 24 months experience

Based on the over 24 months Authentication Letter (NOC)

1. We will need to pass the vision test and knowledge test.
2. we will need to attempt the G2 Road test.
3. If we pass the G2 Test, we will get the full G license.

If we only have 12-24 months experience

2. we will need to attempt the G1 Road Test.
2. Upon successfully passing the G1 road test we will get the G2 driving license.
3. With a G2 license there is a wait period of 12 months and then we can take a G2 road test.
4. If we pass G2 test we will get full G licence.

If we have less than 12 months experience or no experience at all

2. If we pass we will get G1 license.
3. With G1 license there is a wait period of 12 months after which we can take G1 test to get G2 license.
4. With a G2 license there is a wait period of 12 months after which we can take a G2 road test.
5. If we pass G2 test we will get full G licence.

The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:

G1 licence

By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

Maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
Make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt
Not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
Not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)
Drive with a fully licensed driver who has:
At least four years of driving experience
A blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero).
The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat. If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

[size=10pt]G2 Licence[/size]

You can now drive:

Without another experienced driver in the car
On all Ontario roads
At any time of the day, in most cases.
You must still:

Have a zero blood alcohol level
Carry only as many passengers as there are working seatbelts.
If you are 19 and under, some other restrictions still apply.

[size=10pt]-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license. [/size]

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-g-drivers-licence-new-drivers

http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx
Thanks for the info.

I have a driver's license from Pakistan which has been expired after 5 years. After a gap of a few months of expiry, I am going to renew it and will soon land to Canada (immigration). Would it count against the 24 month requirement.

askhan

Apr 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Aug 2015
cocknbull said:
How to obtain Canadian driving license for Pakistanis immigrating from Pakistan to Canada

This procedure is for Ontario province though other provinces have more or less same rules

In Pakistan we have Right hand drive vehicles but in Canada they have left hand drive vehicles so some training may be needed to adjust road conditions.

Which Canadian category licence we can get

1. If we have over 24 months 'Pakistani' driving experience -we can get the Ontario full G Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24 months] Pakistani driving experience -we can get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
3. If we have less than 12 months Pakistani experience or no experience we can get the Ontario G1 license.
4. In any case we will be required to complete a vision test and pass the knowledge test

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':

1. We must obtain a "No objection Certificate" (NOC) from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining our D/License stating how old our license is and how much driving experience we have from Pakistan.

Step-2 -The Tests to take:

If we have over 24 months experience

Based on the over 24 months Authentication Letter (NOC)

2. we will need to attempt the G2 Road test.
3. If we pass the G2 Test, we will get the full G license.

If we only have 12-24 months experience

2. we will need to attempt the G1 Road Test.
2. Upon successfully passing the G1 road test we will get the G2 driving license.
3. With a G2 license there is a wait period of 12 months and then we can take a G2 road test.
4. If we pass G2 test we will get full G licence.

If we have less than 12 months experience or no experience at all

2. If we pass we will get G1 license.
3. With G1 license there is a wait period of 12 months after which we can take G1 test to get G2 license.
4. With a G2 license there is a wait period of 12 months after which we can take a G2 road test.
5. If we pass G2 test we will get full G licence.

The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:

G1 licence

By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

Maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
Make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt
Not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
Not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)
Drive with a fully licensed driver who has:
At least four years of driving experience
A blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero).
The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat. If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

[size=10pt]G2 Licence[/size]

You can now drive:

Without another experienced driver in the car
On all Ontario roads
At any time of the day, in most cases.
You must still:

Have a zero blood alcohol level
Carry only as many passengers as there are working seatbelts.
If you are 19 and under, some other restrictions still apply.

[size=10pt]-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license. [/size]

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-g-drivers-licence-new-drivers

http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx
Great post +1.

qasim786

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Karachi
Visa Office......
London,UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/07/2014
Nomination.....
04/11/2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
15/4/2015
Med's Done....
28/4/2015
Interview........
Waived (Third line updated on 15th May 2015)
Passport Req..
04th Sept 2015
LANDED..........
......In Sha Allah all on 23/10/2015

xceptional88

Jul 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
AOR Received.
PER: 14-11-2014
IELTS Request
Already Submitted
How do we get letter of authentication. Nobody here at police department knows what it is.

doc2015

Mar 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Photos:10-03-2015
Nomination.....
PER: 20-02-2015
IELTS Request
With application
Med's Request
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
15-09-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
27-06-2016
xceptional88 said:
How do we get letter of authentication. Nobody here at police department knows what it is.
Anybody, who can advice on letter of authentication process, or recently done it

Regards
doc2015

fadi669

May 3, 2012
cocknbull said:
NOC should be obtained for domestic driving license not international because to get license in Canada you will present your domestic license not international. They are two different things domestic license and international driving license. Actually international driving license is meant for visitors (those who come on visitor visa in Canada) to drive in Canada.

Attest domestic driver's license NOC only from MOFA because you won't need International driving NOC for any purpose.

By the way I had an old book license and MOFA also attested that book for me. I mean I got domestic driver's license NOC attested and original driver's license book also. In reality you only need original NOC attested not driver's license itself but as it costs like 20 rupees or so, so better attest both of them.

Good luck.....

Important. Somebody told me that his NOC from Karachi was not accepted in British columbia so it also varies from province to province but here in Ontario its surely accepted as me and my friend's got accepted.
AoA cocknbull,
I know its an old post but im kind of stuck in a situation and thought you might give me some advice. I just landed a month ago in Ontario and today just went for the knowledge test (G1). I have a 15yr old (valid but the Booklet form) licence from Islamabad and upon arrival I got the verification done by the Pakistani consulate in Vaughan. However today, the lady at the Drivetest centre (Brantford) did not accept my licence. She said I need to have the newly issued Card licence from Islamabad as ICT Police has been issuing that since 2012. Now, Im stuck with a G1 licence which is of no use to me. I cant wait for a year (or 8 months if i take driving classes). Can you please advise if getting the NOC from MOFA back home will be of any use?

Anyone else with my situation? Any advice?

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*** For Information ***

There is no need to make the driving license letter from pakistan, it is not recognized here. I landed in toronto and found out this now, what you need to do is have your orignal driving license and go to the embassy/consulate here, fill a form and give 25 CAD ( the website says 20 ) and they will give you the verification letter. Only that letter is recognized by canadian driving license authority and not the one which you make from pakistan .

More details can be found here

http://www.pakmission.ca/attestation_doc.html

I did made that letter from karachi traffic police office but was a waste.

Reactions: haideriqbal

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
fadi669 said:
AoA cocknbull,
I know its an old post but im kind of stuck in a situation and thought you might give me some advice. I just landed a month ago in Ontario and today just went for the knowledge test (G1). I have a 15yr old (valid but the Booklet form) licence from Islamabad and upon arrival I got the verification done by the Pakistani consulate in Vaughan. However today, the lady at the Drivetest centre (Brantford) did not accept my licence. She said I need to have the newly issued Card licence from Islamabad as ICT Police has been issuing that since 2012. Now, Im stuck with a G1 licence which is of no use to me. I cant wait for a year (or 8 months if i take driving classes). Can you please advise if getting the NOC from MOFA back home will be of any use?

Anyone else with my situation? Any advice?
I believe if you already got the license then you cannot do anything now.

Gmzjabla12

Apr 9, 2016
ciscoccie said:
*** For Information ***

There is no need to make the driving license letter from pakistan, it is not recognized here. I landed in toronto and found out this now, what you need to do is have your orignal driving license and go to the embassy/consulate here, fill a form and give 25 CAD ( the website says 20 ) and they will give you the verification letter. Only that letter is recognized by canadian driving license authority and not the one which you make from pakistan .

More details can be found here

I did made that letter from karachi traffic police office but was a waste.
i went to driving test center in scarborough 3months back and they told me to get that from Pakistan anyhow, in how much time consulate gave you the letter?

mianchd

Star Member
Jun 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, Need advice on Exchanging Driving Licence in Canada (Ontario).

1) My Wife has a full UAE Driving Licence with 1 year of Driving Experience in UAE.

2) I have full UAE Driving Licence with 1.5 Years of Drivin Experience in UAE.
Also, I hold a Full UK Driving Licence (2.2 Years Old) with no Driving experience in the UK.

We hold Pakistani Passports with Canadian PR.

Can you please advise on the best (quickest) way to get a Full (G) Ontario Driving Licence for both of us.

I would also like to know if any other Canadian province can offer a quicker way to get driving licences for people in our circumstances.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gmzjabla12 said:
i went to driving test center in scarborough 3months back and they told me to get that from Pakistan anyhow, in how much time consulate gave you the letter?
same day.