+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to move to my gf in Alberta?

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
I'm trying to figure out my best/easiest/fastest way to be able to move to Alberta to be with my gf. I'm currently in Southern California, I've been up there to visit her last year and she'll be visiting me soon. I'm hoping to keep my job and work remotely, with possible trips back down once a quarter or so. I'd like to figure out my best options if I can keep my job and backup plans if I can't. I've ready about if I live with her for a year I she can sponsor me in a common law relationship, but how do I get to live with her for a year?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm trying to figure out my best/easiest/fastest way to be able to move to Alberta to be with my gf. I'm currently in Southern California, I've been up there to visit her last year and she'll be visiting me soon. I'm hoping to keep my job and work remotely, with possible trips back down once a quarter or so. I'd like to figure out my best options if I can keep my job and backup plans if I can't. I've ready about if I live with her for a year I she can sponsor me in a common law relationship, but how do I get to live with her for a year?
You can't "move" to Canada at this time. The most you can do is enter Canada as a visitor and then apply to extend your visit by another six months so that you can reach a year of living together to be classified as common law. If you take this approach, you'll want to keep your time apart short. Leaving once a quarter is fine - I would keep each trip under 2 weeks. Also note that each time you re-enter Canada, you'll be reassessed by CBSA and there's always some chance they might limit your visit or even refuse entry. So another reason to try to avoid too man trips outside of Canada.

When you enter Canada, you'll want to bring what a tourist normally brings. Don't arrive with a car full of household belongings.

Make sure you purchase private insurance since you won't be covered by Canada's health care system.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
You can't "move" to Canada at this time. The most you can do is enter Canada as a visitor and then apply to extend your visit by another six months so that you can reach a year of living together to be classified as common law. If you take this approach, you'll want to keep your time apart short. Leaving once a quarter is fine - I would keep each trip under 2 weeks. Also note that each time you re-enter Canada, you'll be reassessed by CBSA and there's always some chance they might limit your visit or even refuse entry. So another reason to try to avoid too man trips outside of Canada.

When you enter Canada, you'll want to bring what a tourist normally brings. Don't arrive with a car full of household belongings.

Make sure you purchase private insurance since you won't be covered by Canada's health care system.

Got it. So what would be my best option to come as a visitor? Would I need a visitor record, multiple entry visa, something else? I've tried to do research but it gets so confusing. Would I need to do anything prior to when I plan to go there for my long "visit" or j

RE bringing what a tourist brings, so yes obviously don't show up in a uhaul lol. But if I am at the border and am applying for a 6month/1year/any kind of extended pass, would that allow me bringing extra clothes for the extended time period? I'd be moving in with her and really wouldn't need a whole lot of household items, but would like to have more than just the clothes I'd fit in one carry-on bag. Would the best option be to ship a box of clothes, as expensive as that would be?

I have insurance through my employer, I remember them asking in customs on my trip there if I had it so I'm assuming that would cover me? Also as far as trips back for work/family, would her coming with me change anything as far as time apart, or would it be about being away from Canada?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You should check to see if your insurance will actually cover you out of the country, it may not.

You won't be able to apply for an "extended pass" at the border, and in fact bringing up the fact that you're planning on staying with your girlfriend is likely to cause you issues at the border if you mention that you want to do so for an extended period of time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Got it. So what would be my best option to come as a visitor? Would I need a visitor record, multiple entry visa, something else? I've tried to do research but it gets so confusing. Would I need to do anything prior to when I plan to go there for my long "visit" or j

RE bringing what a tourist brings, so yes obviously don't show up in a uhaul lol. But if I am at the border and am applying for a 6month/1year/any kind of extended pass, would that allow me bringing extra clothes for the extended time period? I'd be moving in with her and really wouldn't need a whole lot of household items, but would like to have more than just the clothes I'd fit in one carry-on bag. Would the best option be to ship a box of clothes, as expensive as that would be?

I have insurance through my employer, I remember them asking in customs on my trip there if I had it so I'm assuming that would cover me? Also as far as trips back for work/family, would her coming with me change anything as far as time apart, or would it be about being away from Canada?
I'm assuming you are a U.S. passport holder - although you haven't specified that. If that's the case, you would enter Canada on your passport. You don't need a visa. Generally speaking Americans are usually allowed in for the default six month period. I would avoid asking for six months and just hope that's what you're given at the border.

There is no "extended pass" that will allow you to bring in extra clothing. OK to bring a couple of suitcases - but I wouldn't bring more than that. Yes - you can ship things later - however you may have to pay duty / taxes on them.

Customs cannot tell you if your workplace insurance will cover you or not. You need to contact the insurance provider and ask if you will be covered and what the restrictions /conditions are if any. You don't want to be in Canada without emergency coverage since things can get expensive extremely fast.

In terms of trips back - you want to avoid too much time from her since you want to avoid having IRCC say that you have been apart for so long that this constitutes a break in 1 year cohabitation requirement. Also, each time you re-enter Canada, you will be reassessed by CBSA and there's never a guarantee you'll be allowed back in.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
I see. Yes I am a US Passport holder. So, just to make sure I'm understanding this properly... As long as I have my insurance that covers me in Canada, all I have to do is fly/drive there, and I'm good for hopefully up to six months?

When I went there before, it was my first time ever leaving the country. They asked the reason for my trip, I said to visit my gf. They asked details about if we've met before, what site, how long, the duration of my trip, and sent me to the secondary check. They asked basically the same things, checked my bag, wanted proof of my flight home being bought, and asked about insurance. Did I say something wrong that had them do the secondary check? What would be the best way to word it for my reason for visit/length of stay to ensure the least amount of hassle?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You said you were visiting your girlfriend.

That's a red flag that you may never leave, especially since you've never left the country before.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
You said you were visiting your girlfriend.

That's a red flag that you may never leave, especially since you've never left the country before.
Lol yea, I can see that now. But at the time I was super nervous and excited that I was about to meet her. So what's the best choice of words for future trips? Visiting a friend? Sightseeing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The other issue is that you can’t work remotely for a company that does work in Canada or has Canadian clients.

You should check your insurance to see if you are still covered if you spend a certain percentage of your year out of the US. It also may only cover emergencies.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
For example, the "travel insurance" I have from my (Canadian) employer is only good for immediate hospitalization, stabilization, and return to Canada.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
The other issue is that you can’t work remotely for a company that does work in Canada or has Canadian clients.

You should check your insurance to see if you are still covered if you spend a certain percentage of your year in the US. It also may only cover emergencies.
My company doesn't do work in Canada, I'm an office employee and my work could be done remotely on my laptop with skype/phone calls. Unless that was a typo, and you're saying I can't work for a company that does not do any work in Canada?

And yes I will be looking into my insurance to see what they cover internationally.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I see. Yes I am a US Passport holder. So, just to make sure I'm understanding this properly... As long as I have my insurance that covers me in Canada, all I have to do is fly/drive there, and I'm good for hopefully up to six months?

When I went there before, it was my first time ever leaving the country. They asked the reason for my trip, I said to visit my gf. They asked details about if we've met before, what site, how long, the duration of my trip, and sent me to the secondary check. They asked basically the same things, checked my bag, wanted proof of my flight home being bought, and asked about insurance. Did I say something wrong that had them do the secondary check? What would be the best way to word it for my reason for visit/length of stay to ensure the least amount of hassle?
So the fact that they wanted proof of your return flight, insurance etc. means that you may have been flagged. That would mean a trip to secondary and extra scrutiny every time you enter.

I would suggest you have a return ticket for a short stay and proof of solid ties to the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My company doesn't do work in Canada, I'm an office employee and my work could be done remotely on my laptop with skype/phone calls. Unless that was a typo, and you're saying I can't work for a company that does not do any work in Canada?

And yes I will be looking into my insurance to see what they cover internationally.
Depending on your company there are many US companies in Canada or who work with Canadian clients. One of the reasons some can not work remotely from Canada.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
So the fact that they wanted proof of your return flight, insurance etc. means that you may have been flagged. That would mean a trip to secondary and extra scrutiny every time you enter.

I would suggest you have a return ticket for a short stay and proof of solid ties to the US.
I checked in with the kiosk, and went over to the agent who asked me the questions, and he marked my receipt from the kiosk which led the next agent to direct me to the secondary area. So you're saying they'll be doing this any time I go there? Ugh. I noticed on my flight back, I was at the US customs desk and it seemed quick and right when he said I was good to go he said hold on a second, and asked to see my passport again, and went through his computer for a few minutes and then said I could go.

So, even if I want to stay there for 6 months, I should spend the money to show I have a return flight so they don't hassle me, and then just not fly back? Would it be better to show up and say "I want to stay here for the full 6 months, and extend it to eventually fall under common law and get permanent residency from that. I'll be working remotely for my company in the states and will not be entering the job market illegally, I just want to be with my gf."

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I checked in with the kiosk, and went over to the agent who asked me the questions, and he marked my receipt from the kiosk which led the next agent to direct me to the secondary area. So you're saying they'll be doing this any time I go there? Ugh. I noticed on my flight back, I was at the US customs desk and it seemed quick and right when he said I was good to go he said hold on a second, and asked to see my passport again, and went through his computer for a few minutes and then said I could go.

So, even if I want to stay there for 6 months, I should spend the money to show I have a return flight so they don't hassle me, and then just not fly back? Would it be better to show up and say "I want to stay here for the full 6 months, and extend it to eventually fall under common law and get permanent residency from that. I'll be working remotely for my company in the states and will not be entering the job market illegally, I just want to be with my gf."
Yes, it is possible you were flagged and will be pulled into secondary every time. Nothing to do with US customs.

Telling CBSA you plan to live here as a visitor is a bad idea that is likely to get you refused and possibly issued a one year Exclusion Order