+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to move to Canada from US. American trying to marry a Canadian.

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
Im dating a guy who lives in canada and recently we've been pursuing options for getting married.
I haven't gotten my degree here in the U.S yet but have decided not to complete either of the degrees I originally was going for. I've done 6 years of college but still don't have a degree...

Anyways, I'm a manager at a coffee shop here in the states, and was wondering what exactly the first steps of me wanting to move to Canada would be?

I know it takes potentially 6 years to become a permanent resident. To start off do I apply for my visa? Is there a number I should call? Should I look for jobs before I apply for my visa?
Google doesn't really help clear my confusion up so I am hoping anyone on this forum can guide me a little.

Thanks!

Trusty

Star Member
Jun 12, 2016
It gets much more easier for you since you are a US citizen and more so, if you get married to a Canadian citizen. Even if you don't get PR in 1 year, you could still go to Canada by getting a NEXUS card or just as a US traveler, there are many work programs thanks to NAFTA treaty between Canada and US.

Once you get into Canada, find a legal job based on the NEXUS or NAFTA work permits, get married, live together and then you can begin the PR process as a spouse of Canadian citizen.

It does not take 6 years in Canada, that slow process is US. People are getting PR in Canada within less than a year or a couple years tops (for complicated cases). Processing time is merely 6 months, the additional 6 months is to gather documents and prepare the Express Entry application. After marriage, you could enter the Express Entry stream as a CEC (canadian experience class) based on having a Canadian spouse.

Your spouse will need to be actively involved in the process by submitting documents, etc.

If you want to get PR first and get married later, then it is a different story. You could still go to Canada and be with your future spouse, US citizens have many ways of going to Canada and working there without a PR.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
It gets much more easier for you since you are a US citizen and more so, if you get married to a Canadian citizen. Even if you don't get PR in 1 year, you could still go to Canada by getting a NEXUS card or just as a US traveler, there are many work programs thanks to NAFTA treaty between Canada and US.

Once you get into Canada, find a legal job based on the NEXUS or NAFTA work permits, get married, live together and then you can begin the PR process as a spouse of Canadian citizen.

It does not take 6 years in Canada, that slow process is US. People are getting PR in Canada within less than a year or a couple years tops (for complicated cases). Processing time is merely 6 months, the additional 6 months is to gather documents and prepare the Express Entry application. After marriage, you could enter the Express Entry stream as a CEC (canadian experience class) based on having a Canadian spouse.

Your spouse will need to be actively involved in the process by submitting documents, etc.

If you want to get PR first and get married later, then it is a different story. You could still go to Canada and be with your future spouse, US citizens have many ways of going to Canada and working there without a PR.
Just want to add here that having a NEXUS card does not entitle you to work in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Im dating a guy who lives in canada and recently we've been pursuing options for getting married.
I haven't gotten my degree here in the U.S yet but have decided not to complete either of the degrees I originally was going for. I've done 6 years of college but still don't have a degree...

Anyways, I'm a manager at a coffee shop here in the states, and was wondering what exactly the first steps of me wanting to move to Canada would be?

I know it takes potentially 6 years to become a permanent resident. To start off do I apply for my visa? Is there a number I should call? Should I look for jobs before I apply for my visa?
Google doesn't really help clear my confusion up so I am hoping anyone on this forum can guide me a little.

Thanks!
From what you've said, your experience/education does not match with any of the NAFTA professions. If you want to apply for a work permit, you first need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA. This is extremely difficult to find, as the LMIA process has strict requirements and costs the employer $1000 just to apply.

If you come to Canada as a visitor and extend your status so you live with your partner for a year, you can apply for common-law sponsorship. You would not be able to work or have access to health coverage.

If you and your partner get married, you can apply for sponsorship right after.