+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to minimize the possibility of an RQ?

Jun 9, 2013
Hi all,

I will soon file my citizenship application and would appreciate any thoughts as to what documents i might include (or facts to present) that minimizes the possibility that I am subject to the RQ process. Although I satisfy all the required tests of being resident in Canada (i.e. the residency test, my wife here with me, tax returns filed in Canada, lifestyle tests etc.) my employment is a company that i own, that's principal activities are in the US (with some business in Canada, Asia and Latin America). I also have over nearly one hundred absences during my 1,460 day window, most of which were short (overnight or two day) trips connected to the business. Other bloggers have suggested that my application would likely be flagged for an RQ, given these circumstances, but I would appreciate any thoughts as to how i might minimize that risk of delay?

Thanks, HonoraryCarioca

CIC1973

Star Member
Apr 10, 2014
to minimize chances of an RQ, you should have never left Canada from the day you landed for the first time till the day you take your exam. otherwise, anything is fair game, to them at least.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honorarycarioca said:
Does anyone have anything more constructive to suggest (than CIC1973's typically unhelpful contribution)?
I don't see anything wrong with CIC1973's response, it might not be the sort of contribution you were looking for but what was said is true. All the things you mentioned you have as supporting documents ideally should be sufficient, however the mere fact that you have a 100+ days absent is grounds for RQ. CIC1973 was just trying to explain to you how immigration sees things and how they operate. Your 100 days of travel can't be undone, neither can the fact that you own a business. Working for a well known organization and literally no travel is the most successful way to minimize RQ's and even at that there are no guarantees.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
Honorarycarioca said:
Does anyone have anything more constructive to suggest (than CIC1973's typically unhelpful contribution)?
Its called the COLD HARD TRUTH WHICH IS HARD TO ACCEPT.ACCEPT WHAT YOU SHOULD BE TOLD,NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO BE TOLD!Its that simple!

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
Honorarycarioca said:
Hi all,

I will soon file my citizenship application and would appreciate any thoughts as to what documents i might include (or facts to present) that minimizes the possibility that I am subject to the RQ process. Although I satisfy all the required tests of being resident in Canada (i.e. the residency test, my wife here with me, tax returns filed in Canada, lifestyle tests etc.) my employment is a company that i own, that's principal activities are in the US (with some business in Canada, Asia and Latin America). I also have over nearly one hundred absences during my 1,460 day window, most of which were short (overnight or two day) trips connected to the business. Other bloggers have suggested that my application would likely be flagged for an RQ, given these circumstances, but I would appreciate any thoughts as to how i might minimize that risk of delay?

Thanks, HonoraryCarioca

Provide documents ONLY asked of you in your initial.application.WAIT for CiC to contact you for any additional documents if necessary.Dont get two or three steps ahead of CiC,just relax,be patient and gather Relevany business docs to prove your residency in Canada. Use your common sense and take one step atva time and cross the bridge when u get to it.Think about it,if u were a CiC officer,would u like to receive a mountain of paperwork which u didnt ask for?? Put yourself in the shoes of a CIC officer processing your application...provide ONLY WHAT IS ASKED FOR WHEN IT IS ASKED OF YOU! On another note...you were absent for a 100 days??woow! Even i question your connection to Canada ..and.you have travelled so so much,regardless of it being your work,your application will hinge on how strong your ties,your work and your life is here in Canada.If u were on federal,
provincial,municipal gvt business then you would be all clear.You most likely be refered to a judge who will eventually determine your case.This one is all on you.You should have thought twice then ...

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Honorarycarioca said:
Hi all,

Thanks, HonoraryCarioca
Those who include their notice of assessments of the last 4 years + employment letters from all employers + and pay slip of the last month of each year will definitely avoid RQ.

This is my experience and have done this myself and had 2 of my friends do the same. The files were transferred from Sydney to local offices in one Month for all of us.

Do not listen to people saying that sending those documents would raise flags. It doesn't and I was praised for sending those documents when I did my interview.

Good luck

Mrbravo

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I heard it is good to include CBSA report, it is a report for your travels,,, + Notce of assessment+ T4 ( I think for you would be T2 report) for last 4 years.

This is what I learned from other people and make sure to add them to minimize the chances of RQ