+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HOW TO MANAGE THE COLD WEATHER-TIPS

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The World Health Organization recommends keeping indoor temperatures between 64 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit for healthy people. The minimum temperature should be kept above 68 degrees Fahrenheit to protect the very young, the elderly, or people with health problems.

• Watch out for signs of hypothermia. Early signs of hypothermia in adults include shivering, confusion, memory loss, drowsiness, exhaustion and slurred speech. Infants who are suffering from hypothermia may appear to have very low energy and bright red, cold skin.
When outside, take extra precautions to reduce the risk of hypothermia and frostbite. In high wind conditions, cold weather-related health problems are much more likely. Be sure the outer layer of clothing is tightly woven to reduce body-heat loss caused by wind.

Layers. This is the most basic of all staying-warm advice: dress in layers. For instance, you should wear an undershirt, a regular shirt, a sweatshirt, a sweater, an over-sweater, a jacket, a coat, a parka, and an overcoat. Add a couple of layers of Hefty Bags over that, and you're going to stay warm in Antarctica.

Soup! Eating hot soup is the best answer of all to the cold weather, because not only does it warm you up, but it also fills your belly. Coffee and cocoa are also good at warming you up, but they don't do quite as good of a job at filling your belly.

• If you will be spending time outside, do not ignore shivering - it is an important first sign that the body is losing heat and a signal to quickly return indoors.

• Since cold weather puts an extra burden on the heart, if you have cardiac problems or high blood pressure, follow your doctor's orders about shoveling or performing any strenuous exercise outside. Even otherwise-healthy adults should remember that their bodies already are working overtime just to stay warm, and dress appropriately and work slowly when doing heavy outdoor chores.
Stay safe while heating your home
• Take precautions to avoid exposure to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
o Carbon monoxide (CO) is a potentially deadly gas. It is colorless, odorless, tasteless and non-irritating. It is produced by burning fuels such as wood, oil, natural gas, kerosene, coal and gasoline.
o Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu but do not include a fever. At lower levels of exposure, a person may experience a headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and shortness of breath. Exposure to very high levels of carbon monoxide can result in loss of consciousness and even death.
• Never try to thaw a pipe with an open flame or torch and be aware of the potential for electric shock in and around standing water. To keep water pipes from freezing in the home let faucets drip a little to avoid freezing, open cabinet doors to allow more heat to get to un-insulated pipes under a sink or appliance near an outer wall. Keep the heat on and set no lower than 55 degrees.
Getting help if your apartment, workplace, school or day care is too cold for comfort
If you are cold in your building, first discuss the problem with the building owner, landlord, property manager or maintenance staff. Some regulations, codes or other legal protections may apply in your situation to ensure that adequate heat is available when temperatures dip. The actual temperature requirement will vary depending on what kind of space is involved.

WELCOME AND ENJOY THE COLD WEATHER

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
Thanks brother for sharing such a valuable info for all landing applicants who will be going through first time from the cold weather of Canada.

+1 ..!!!

Cheers..

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Kanamen for the valuable information to manage the cold weather.

May I add the following too:

A woolen or acrylic Balaclava Cap ( Monkey Cap ) to cover the head.
A pair of leather or wool hand gloves
A pair of wool socks
A pair of arctic type or good winter boots if there is snow.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And keep in mind that if your are renting an apartment with the heat included (which it usually is), most provinces will have regulations covering on how warm it should be in your apartment. In Alberta it is 22°C (71.6°F) that you should be able to get in your apartment. If your apartment is colder than that, you should first complain to the landlord and if he is not willing to fix the problem, you can report him to the tenants board and they will make him fix it.

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Public Health Department recommends the following steps to be taken to prevent cold injuries:
General Recommendations:

1.Prepare a plan to deal with potential consequences of extreme temperatures and winter storms (e.g. power outage, lack of transportation). Have an emergency kit available.
2.Stay active, maintain good nutrition, and get plenty of rest.
3.Check on the elderly/persons with disability or those with medical conditions who live alone to ensure they are safe (Some medical conditions may increase sensitivity to the cold).
4.Postpone outdoor activities or reduce the amount of time spent outdoors when the temperature is -25 degrees Celsius or colder, with or without the wind chill.
5.Keep children, the elderly and persons with disabilities indoors when the temperature is -25 degrees Celsius or colder, with or without the wind chill.
6.Maintain a heated indoor environment in the home or office (according to heat by-laws, landlords MUST maintain the heat at a minimum of 20 degrees Celsius between the 15th of September of each year, and the first of June of the following year).
7.Do not use an oven as a heating device. Ensure space heaters are well maintained and used properly to avoid fire risk.
8.Drink warm fluids to prevent dehydration.
9.Dress in layers of loose-fitting clothing, covering exposed skin (socks, insulated coats and boots-slip resistant/ waterproof, mittens, hats and neck warmers).
10.Change wet clothing or footwear immediately.
11.Take emergency equipment and a cell phone when travelling and check the weather forecast before going outside.

During a Cold Alert

Follow the General Guidelines AND
•Give warm fluids and avoid caffeinated beverages to prevent dehydration
•Remember to dress in layers of warm clothing
•Keep children, the elderly and persons with disabilities indoors
•Regularly check on the elderly, especially those with disabilities

Toronto guide line for Cold Stress :
http://www.toronto.ca/health/hphe/pdf/boh_idling_control_bylaw_attachment_2a.pdf

hmisabpk

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In what conditions do you need snow chains?

I heard alot of municipalities in BC have outlawed them as they can damage the asphalt.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Pippin said:
And don't forget to get your FLU SHOTS!
I've been told by experienced doctors of Bangladesh (where I'm from) and also by my university doctor that I don't require a FLU SHOT. So, I never got one during my last 7 years in Canada. This is becasue Influenza occurs throughout the year in tropical areas whereas this is more severe here in Fall/early Spring season. Hence, people from tropical/sub-tropical area have natural immune system already developed. A flu shot for immigrants of 18-50 years of age is also NOT recommended according to Vaccination Requirements for US Immigration. But this changes for younger and older people as they might not yet developed/ might have a decaying immune system against flu.

So, I would suggest to get a flu shot after discussing it with your family doctor.

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
In what conditions do you need snow chains?

I heard alot of municipalities in BC have outlawed them as they can damage the asphalt.
There are Regulatory Signs (R047) posted in various locations on numbered highways throughout the province.

The R-047 Regulatory sign “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ when placed upon a highway will prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with winter tires or chains beyond that point when enforced by the police, ministry or other enforcement officials.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Hi Rossei: Your response about flu shots intrigued me as I had never heard they were not recommended for people from the tropics. I understand that flu shots are not officially required for immigratrion or school admission like Measles and Tetanus/Diphtheria/Polio, etc. and I appreciated your final comment that people should discuss a flu shot with their doctor.
I found the following information which explains why annual flu shots are recommended and hope it will help others make an informed decision. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm
Influenza viruses can change in two different ways.

One is called “antigenic drift.” These are small changes in the virus that happen continually over time. Antigenic drift produces new virus strains that may not be recognized by the body's immune system. This process works as follows: a person infected with a particular flu virus strain develops antibody against that virus. As newer virus strains appear, the antibodies against the older strains no longer recognize the “newer” virus, and reinfection can occur. This is one of the main reasons why people can get the flu more than one time. In most years, one or two of the three virus strains in the influenza vaccine are updated to keep up with the changes in the circulating flu viruses. So, people who want to be protected from flu need to get a flu shot every year.

The other type of change is called “antigenic shift.” Antigenic shift is an abrupt, major change in the influenza A viruses, ... Such a “shift” occurred in the spring of 2009, when a new H1N1 virus with a new combination of genes emerged to infect people and quickly spread, causing a pandemic. When shift happens, most people have little or no protection against the new virus. While influenza viruses are changing by antigenic drift all the time, antigenic shift happens only occasionally. Type A viruses undergo both kinds of changes; influenza type B viruses change only by the more gradual process of antigenic drift.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
steaky said:
Hi Rossel: Are you sure that every people from tropical/sub-tropical area have natural flu influenza immune system? Hong Kong is located in the sub-tropics, but the government spent billions of dollars each year for flu influenza vaccinations and subsidies flu-shots for its elderly and small children.

http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/content/116/23838.html
I made the suggestion based on my and my friends' experiences. I was eager to get the flu shot during school in Canada as it seemed severe. Well, I did not do extensive research on it. But I mentioned an age group and also suggested to talk to a doctor first.

cybervjs

Star Member
Sep 11, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Kanamen for valuable advice, but i wish this time winter goes smoothly i mean not that extreme as 1 of my uncle told me that this year winter will be very extreme :)))))

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Driving in winter and snow

Time: Give yourself plenty of extra time for getting to your destination. Speed limits are for perfect, dry conditions. On winter’s icy roadways, half the speed limit may be suicide.
Vision: Take the time to clear all windows of snow, ice or fog before starting out. Also clear any snow off the hood - it comes loose when driving.
Lights: Even though you can see, drive with low-beam headlights in snow, fog or just winter murk. Keep all lenses free of dirt by wiping them periodically. Dirty headlights can cut visibility by 50 percent or more. Don’t forget the directional lights, taillights and rotating lights.
Tires: Be sure your tires have adequate tread for traction in snow and to reduce the risk of hydroplaning in rain or puddles on the road. You may hear that putting extra weight in the trunk or truck bed gives better traction. Traction might be helped a little but at the expense of steering control and longer stopping distance. Likewise, you may hear that reducing tire pressure is another way of increasing traction. Reducing air pressure will not give you more traction and your tires could become seriously underinflated, affecting steering. Keep in mind that every time the outside temperature drops 10 degrees, the tire air pressure goes down about one pound per square inch. Remember too that underinflated tires are the major cause of tire failure.
Ice/Freezing Rain: At 30 degrees ice is twice as slippery as it is at 0 degrees. It also forms first and lasts longer on bridges and in the shade. If you hit an unexpected patch, don’t try to brake, accelerate or downshift. Let up on your accelerator and let your vehicle "roll" through the slippery area. When freezing rain is occurring resulting in icing conditions, please pull over to the side of the road until the road has been treated with sand and salt.
Skidding: If you go into a skid, act quickly by taking your foot off the accelerator. Keep your foot off the brake and steer in the direction the rear of the vehicle is skidding. In other works, if you want your vehicle to go right, turn right. If you want it to go left, turn left. Hold the steering wheel firmly, but don’t make large turns. Use a light touch to correct the swerve.
Braking: Your owner’s manual will usually recommend the braking technique most effective for your car. For front and rear wheel drive vehicles with disc or drum brakes the National Safety council recommends the following procedure: Squeeze your brakes with a slow, steady pressure until just before they lock. When you feel them start to lock, ease off until your wheels are rolling; then squeeze again.
Following Distance: Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice. If you are being followed too closely, maintain an extra distance behind the vehicle ahead so that you can slow down or brake gradually. Be prepared to adjust speed and /or stop to avoid colliding with the vehicle in front of you. Plan ahead when approaching intersections to that braking can be done smoothly.
Stay on the Beaten Path: Stay in line when traveling to or from a snow zone. Don’t blaze your own trail, especially going downhill - you’ll only manage to create a worse situation. You’ll even clog the only open space emergency snow vehicles can travel.
Safety Belts and Child Safety Seats: In addition to keeping you in the vehicle during a collision, they will also keep you and your child from being thrown around inside your vehicle should you go into a skid or hit an object. Use safety belts/seat at all times - it’s the law.
Deer: Bad weather can cause deer to be on the move. Be particularly alert when traveling in known areas of deer migration. When you see deer or other animals ahead, slow down and be prepared to stop until you are safely past them. A good defensive driving technique is to try to avoid animals if possible, however, do not swerve into the on-coming lane and risk a head-on collision, or run off the road and risk hitting another object.
Dead Batteries: When jumping batteries connect one cable to the (+) terminal of each battery. Then connect one end of the second cable to the (-) terminal of the booster battery and the other end to a nut or bolt on the engine. Do not connect it to the (-) of the discharge battery. Start the engine of the helper vehicle and let it run a few minutes, then start the disabled vehicle engine. Remove cables in the exact REVERSE order.
Walking on Ice or Snow: After being in a warm vehicle, the soles of shoes or boots are warm enough to melt snow or ice, creating a film of water between the sole and the snow or ice surface. Be especially cautious for the first five minutes after leaving the vehicle. When walking on snow or ice, use short steps and keep your hands out of your pockets. These factors will help you maintain your balance. If you do fall, tuck your arms close to your body and roll with the fall.
Stay Clear of Plows and Sanders: Watch out for these vehicles as you round corners, curbs, etc. They do not travel at a high speed; therefore, you’ll tend to come up on them quickly. Slow down. Plows and sanders will pull over periodically to let traffic pass. It’s risky to pass on the left of a snowplow because of blowing snow. Never pass on the right. Flying rock can damage your car if you pass a sander. The best advice is to stay three car lengths behind plows and sanders.