+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to "land" when inside Canada?

heather.rajat

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
Hello,

My brother in law has been in Canada since April 2022, as a visitor (extended visa). We applied for his study permit Nov 19th 2022, we got approval on Jan 12th. We originally applied as SDS but then IRCC told us that they changed it to "Inside Canada" application as my brother in law would have to be physically outside Canada to be eligible for SDS (India). However, inside Canada application would mean that when we send passport to IRCC office in Ottawa, they stamp passport and mail us study permit.

We just called IRCC today and they told us we are in the queue for the counter-foil stamp, however, we have to "land" at a Port of Entry to get the actual study permit. Would this not mean they processed as OUTSIDE Canada? They have said numerous times it's INSIDE Canada application..

So now, we are confused on how to "land"? His classes started Jan 8th and we've already been delayed enough... can he study once he gets his Introduction Letter? We thought it would be mailed to us shortly, just to find out we have to enter and we have no idea how to do that..

We are in Edmonton, Alberta for reference... Do we head to nearest US border once we have his passport back? Do we fly out? Does this mean he cannot study until we "land" at Port of Entry?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

My brother in law has been in Canada since April 2022, as a visitor (extended visa). We applied for his study permit Nov 19th 2022, we got approval on Jan 12th. We originally applied as SDS but then IRCC told us that they changed it to "Inside Canada" application as my brother in law would have to be physically outside Canada to be eligible for SDS (India). However, inside Canada application would mean that when we send passport to IRCC office in Ottawa, they stamp passport and mail us study permit.

We just called IRCC today and they told us we are in the queue for the counter-foil stamp, however, we have to "land" at a Port of Entry to get the actual study permit. Would this not mean they processed as OUTSIDE Canada? They have said numerous times it's INSIDE Canada application..

So now, we are confused on how to "land"? His classes started Jan 8th and we've already been delayed enough... can he study once he gets his Introduction Letter? We thought it would be mailed to us shortly, just to find out we have to enter and we have no idea how to do that..

We are in Edmonton, Alberta for reference... Do we head to nearest US border once we have his passport back? Do we fly out? Does this mean he cannot study until we "land" at Port of Entry?

Thanks in advance for any insight
Did your brother received LOI?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
No, not yet. We have been told we are in queue for the counterfoil and then they'll send passport back to us
All you have to do is wait until next step. Most likely if it is new application, you’ll need to either flagpole or re enter canada via poe