+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to immigrate after Working Holiday Visa?

EstoGirl

Aug 19, 2019
Hi all,

I've been living in Toronto for a year (with IEC Working Holiday Visa which is for a year). It's expiring soon but I really fell in love with this country now! Stupidly, I was mostly focused on travelling and doing odd jobs, so I can't really use that as a leverage to get Express Entry or some high skilled (?) /Sponsored Visa. I wouldn't have enough points.

Immigration rules and all the paperwork here is quite confusing to me and I don't know how to proceed, if I'd like to stay here permanently.

Is my only hope getting a student visa? For an example, lots of my coworkers from Asian countries are going that route (culinary school, then working for some years and then they get PR).
What would be the easiest and/or cheapest way to immigrate? What would be the cheapest school here in TO? And easiest field to study or get a job in later?

*** Some more info, if important : female from a Baltic country (Estonia) soon 28 years old, got Bachelors and Masters in Natural Sciences (environmental studies, forestry etc) BUT don't have much experience in that field yet because after MSc graduation I came straight to Canada. No children or dependants. No family members living here. Quite good English skills, don't speak French though.

What would be my best options? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I've been living in Toronto for a year (with IEC Working Holiday Visa which is for a year). It's expiring soon but I really fell in love with this country now! Stupidly, I was mostly focused on travelling and doing odd jobs, so I can't really use that as a leverage to get Express Entry or some high skilled (?) /Sponsored Visa. I wouldn't have enough points.

Immigration rules and all the paperwork here is quite confusing to me and I don't know how to proceed, if I'd like to stay here permanently.

Is my only hope getting a student visa? For an example, lots of my coworkers from Asian countries are going that route (culinary school, then working for some years and then they get PR).
What would be the easiest and/or cheapest way to immigrate? What would be the cheapest school here in TO? And easiest field to study or get a job in later?

*** Some more info, if important : female from a Baltic country (Estonia) soon 28 years old, got Bachelors and Masters in Natural Sciences (environmental studies, forestry etc) BUT don't have much experience in that field yet because after MSc graduation I came straight to Canada. No children or dependants. No family members living here. Quite good English skills, don't speak French though.

What would be my best options? Thanks!
A student visa doesn't guarantee PR and is expensive - but is certainly an option. You'll need to show a bank balance of $25,000 to be approved for the study permit and show you have enough money to cover first year tuition + living expenses. Also, you will need to make sure your planned studies in Canada make sense in light of your previous education and work experience. So in your case, you would want to be taking something related to the Natural Sciences field and it should be at least a post graduate diploma - if not another Masters or PhD. If you go for a culinary program, you should expect the study permit to be refused. Additionally, you'll want to take a program that's at least 2 years in length to ensure you qualify for a three year PGWP afterwards and have the best shot at PR you can. Lastly, you will want to chose a public college or university. Stay away from private colleges since they offer a poor level of education and many do not qualify you for a PGWP once you finish your studies.

Alternatively, it may make more sense to return to your home country and get one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession so that you can try to qualify for Express Entry or a Provincial Nominee Program.

I would very strongly recommend that you dedicate significant time to familiarizing yourself with Canada's immigration programs through the IRCC website. There's really no short cut to researching if immigration is a priority for you - apart from hiring a lawyer to do this work on your behalf.