+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get PR in Canada after 1 year Graduate Certificate Course??

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
Submitted pp with application (paper based)
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
Hi

Indian
My profile:
10th : 91.4%
12th : 85%
Btech passed in 2012 (Electronics Communication) : 78%
Currently working in HCL Tech (IT Domain) as software engineer. I have 1.5 yrs of work experience now.

I am thinking of Project management at Centennials for Sept 2014, but worried for PR after that.

1)Any courses u think are suitable as per my qualification?
2) How to get PR, sice work permit given will be only 1 year?
3) How successful GAS (4 -months) courses are? If i take GAS course after competing 1 year of PM, then will work permit extend?
4) Any other suggestions?

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
In toronto its hard to get PR with one year work permit.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parul154, it is difficult to get PR after one year study. The only option, IMHO is PNP - provincial nominee. So on www.cic.gc.ca find "Provincial Immigration", and look which province offers what and on what conditions.

If i take GAS course after competing 1 year of PM, then will work permit extend
No.

rutvik59

Apr 16, 2012
Oshawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2013
LANDED..........
27-08-2013
Regina said:
parul154, it is difficult to get PR after one year study. The only option, IMHO is PNP - provincial nominee. So on www.cic.gc.ca find "Provincial Immigration", and look which province offers what and on what conditions.
No.
Do you know anyone who has not got their work permit extended after taking GAS ?

dannie88

Feb 13, 2014
New Delhi,India
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Doc's Request.
upfront
IELTS Request
upfront
File Transfer...
04-07-2014
Med's Request
upfront
Interview........
waived off
Passport Req..
04-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-07-2014
LANDED..........
12-08-2014
General arts n science...GAS ;D :-[

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
Regina said:
Jesus! Do not they have enough Canadians with such a kind education? :)

Maam for PR i was thinking of exercising this option- Studying 1 year Graduate diploma and then continuing with an addiional 6 months course like General Arts...so that my work permit gets extended. How reliable it is?

Plus i heard that in Ontario, for Proj Management, jobs are harder to find as compared to technical courses.
Technical courses are more demanding.
Please suggest and guide me.

My profile:
Currently working in HCL Tech (IT Domain) as software engineer. I have 1.5 yrs of work experience now.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parul154 said:
Maam for PR i was thinking of exercising this option- Studying 1 year Graduate diploma and then continuing with an addiional 6 months course like General Arts...so that my work permit gets extended. How reliable it is?

Plus i heard that in Ontario, for Proj Management, jobs are harder to find as compared to technical courses.
Technical courses are more demanding.
Please suggest and guide me.

My profile:
GAS does work. But no one can guarantee you, in the past, I haven't heard any disappointment, in fact there are couple of people who lived in my previous house and had obtained 3 years PGWP. Now, let me clear just one misunderstanding if it is so. You do not extend your PGWP once obtained, it can't be extended at all, it's one time. This is how it works and in Ontario only, 1 year program, another program of 1 semester (GAS) and there you go. Now, this is for the people who will contradict this statement by posting the link of CIC where it says PGWP is equivalent to the duration of the program, for you all folks, go talk to people who already did it and it worked pretty well.

no field is easy be it IT, HM, Accounting etc. It's up to your skills and networking, even 1 year program can get you PR, people who say it's not possible, I totally disagree.

Anyway you have enough inputs, your profile is perfect and HCL experience (if it's in hardcore tech ) will be helpful.

Cheers!

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
sabby2612 said:
GAS does work. But no one can guarantee you, in the past, I haven't heard any disappointment, in fact there are couple of people who lived in my previous house and had obtained 3 years PGWP. Now, let me clear just one misunderstanding if it is so. You do not extend your PGWP once obtained, it can't be extended at all, it's one time. This is how it works and in Ontario only, 1 year program, another program of 1 semester (GAS) and there you go. Now, this is for the people who will contradict this statement by posting the link of CIC where it says PGWP is equivalent to the duration of the program, for you all folks, go talk to people who already did it and it worked pretty well.

no field is easy be it IT, HM, Accounting etc. It's up to your skills and networking, even 1 year program can get you PR, people who say it's not possible, I totally disagree.

Anyway you have enough inputs, your profile is perfect and HCL experience (if it's in hardcore tech ) will be helpful.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for that wonderful explanation Sir.
So Project managemtn would be suitable for my profile naa? I am planning for Centennials.
Any collg u suggest?

Also i heard that technical is more in demand in Ontario.Please shed some light on this as welll. :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
From the CIC web site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

mpact of length of program of study in Canada and the length of the work permit
A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the official length of your program of study in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three-year year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.

If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program

less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)

two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years

kml87

Feb 20, 2012
1) First of all u will get refusal because of course mis match that is a big and main reason for Canadian visa refusal.
Btech in electonics communication, experience in IT field with a technical work and going for management diploma, What s great selection and links of ur studies???
2) Canadian mentality is totally different from Indian mentality . In India a person do MBA after btech. This is a common thing like we we people think that we can handle the job of both engineer and manager simultaneously. So a single person with btech and MBA can do the job of manager and engineer together. No need to hire two persons. But Canadian embassy and Canadian People dont think like that . You have to give a strong reason that why r u leaving ur technical field and going for a management course. They directly put question on ur intention of study if ur not explaining any thing that will clearly give a reason to them to think that u r not a genuine student.
3) I have seen many refusal people going for wireless communication course in humber after their backgroung with computers science got refusal coz of study mismatch. For Canadian point of view computer science and electronics are different engineering fields and tele communication engineering is different . This is a clearly big study mis match . Few get visas coz they justify it
4) it is clearly written by Canadian embassy in their rules that you will get 3 years work permit if ur course of study is 2 years or more than 2 years. In many cases u will get 3 years work permit with a course duration of 1.5 years too. But that is totally depend on visa officer mood as it is not written in rules. why people plan their study on the basis of risk??? , i dont understand . You are coming to a different country, different people and culture still having a risk , If visa officer gives you 1.5 years work permit with 1.5 years course duration then what u will do?? Be prepare and dont think that u r going to get 3 years.

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
kml87 said:
1) First of all u will get refusal because of course mis match that is a big and main reason for Canadian visa refusal.
Btech in electonics communication, experience in IT field with a technical work and going for management diploma, What s great selection and links of ur studies???
2) Canadian mentality is totally different from Indian mentality . In India a person do MBA after btech. This is a common thing like we we people think that we can handle the job of both engineer and manager simultaneously. So a single person with btech and MBA can do the job of manager and engineer together. No need to hire two persons. But Canadian embassy and Canadian People dont think like that . You have to give a strong reason that why r u leaving ur technical field and going for a management course. They directly put question on ur intention of study if ur not explaining any thing that will clearly give a reason to them to think that u r not a genuine student.
3) I have seen many refusal people going for wireless communication course in humber after their backgroung with computers science got refusal coz of study mismatch. For Canadian point of view computer science and electronics are different engineering fields and tele communication engineering is different . This is a clearly big study mis match . Few get visas coz they justify it
4) it is clearly written by Canadian embassy in their rules that you will get 3 years work permit if ur course of study is 2 years or more than 2 years. In many cases u will get 3 years work permit with a course duration of 1.5 years too. But that is totally depend on visa officer mood as it is not written in rules. why people plan their study on the basis of risk??? , i dont understand . You are coming to a different country, different people and culture still having a risk , If visa officer gives you 1.5 years work permit with 1.5 years course duration then what u will do?? Be prepare and dont think that u r going to get 3 years.

How abt Manitoba??? Red river college?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

As far as Zardon's post is concerned, I guess he didn't read what I posted. I already knew some people will surely come with CIC link. However, one must check the ground reality how it works in real time. As I said, I personally know people obtaining 3 years PGWP successfully with this GAS option and also people with 2 years of study. But it doesn't and nothing guarantees you the length of PGWP being issued, no one can assure you no matter how hard they clai it to be true and right about it.

Now just to highlight a few points KML87 made;

First of all, it's not mentioned on CIC website that with 2 years of program you will get 3 years of PGWP. Read it again, read what Zardon has posted, that's a copy paste from CIC website, word to word, it says "you may not you will".

I must agree with KML87 on the fact that an applicant needs to satisfy the VO about his/her selection of course on how it matches, meets and will co-relate to his/her future plans. I should also agree on the fact that you shouldn't keep any expectation of 3 year or four years of PGWP. If you are stepping out of your country, you need to get out of your comfort zone and should accept you can face any challenge here. However, as I said in my previous post, what really matters here is your skills and networking that takes you to places.

Above all, project management is not a course mis-match at all. What is a miss-match that when you select a college, check their project management electives. As you have a telecom and communication background and experience in IT, one of the electives should be IT. Like some people with similar background as yours apply in Humber project management without knowing and checking that Humber's Project Management doesn't offer any elective in IT but in public sector, construction and developing economics project management etc.
KML 87, you might wana read this post again as it will give you an insight on what's a course miss-match.

Now coming back to your another query you made in your last post addressed to me;

Yes IT has great scope in Ontario. However, people in construction, civil etc management have more edge in provinces like Manitoba, Saskatchewan province etc (not saying they don't have any scope in Ontario, Ontario is hungry for money for it's development, people who doubt it should start reading newspapers yeah not danik bhaskhar or Jagran but local news papers of Ontario available for free at TTC stations and subways and many other places).

You might wana join some online forums related to your field in Canada. For example,

http://www.informacanada.com/the-calgary-project-management-conference/?cpid=9&cid=27

I am running my own business here and received this from BMO (Bank of Montreal). This should give you a perspective that how big is the scope for project management as well depending you have the right contacts (networking).

Finally, I am not here to contradict anyone's opinion. It's a free open forum. So if anyone felt offended, please accept my apology and this is one reason why I keep myself off this forum quite often.

Reactions: Mohammad216