+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get Police clearance certificate in USA?

anu18

Aug 1, 2007
I am from India. Hi we want to file canada immigration in Buffalo NY.
1. How can I get police clearance certificate in USA?
2. Do I need to send IELTS score at along with application form or I can send it later with explanation letter?
Please reply soon...

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Go to your local police station and ask them about the procedure for getting fingerprints taken in your state. You then use those fingerprints to get clearnance from each state you have lived in and the FBI. Requirements vary from state to state for how they are processed and handled. For example, you can have your fingerprints taken in any state and then you mail those fingerprints to New York. You need to do some research for each state you have lived in.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
anu18 said:
I am from India. Hi we want to file canada immigration in Buffalo NY.
2. Do I need to send IELTS score at along with application form or I can send it later with explanation letter?
Please reply soon...
From CIC:
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes. Applicants should provide a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) certificate with fingerprints. Applicants may also be requested to provide State certificates.

From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

The FBI Clearance is the only initial obligation with regard to police clearance. You do not need to send in any state police certificates at this time. If Buffalo needs state police certificates, they will request for it (as they said, "Applicants may also be requested to provide State certificates.")

So, only the FBI clearance is needed at the time of sending in your application.

Follow this link for CIC's instructions: http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/buffalo/visas/police_certificate-en.asp#how_us

For actual fingerprinting, see if you have this company, L-1 Identity Solutions in your state: http://www.l1id.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=263&Itemid=209

If the above company is not in your State, then your next best option after your local police station, would be to consult your area's Yellow Book publication for fingerprinting services where you live.

Please reply soon...

If you are not making a declaration statement about your English proficiency, which should be backed by any supporting documentation, then you MUST send in your IELTS results together with your application.

Applicants have been interpreting item 12 on Appendix A Checklist as a requirement to send in state police certificates initially, and that is not the case, although you can choose to do so if you wish.

Item 12 on the checklist reads: "Original police certificates of good conduct or clearances, from each country/state/territory in which you and everyone in your family aged 18 years or over have lived since reaching the age of 18."

The States within the United States of America are not considered as countries or as indpendependent states or independent territories separate from the federation.

If you need further clarification on item 12's language, feel free to read my posting from this link:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fbi-clearance-help-needed-t5271.0.html;msg14266#msg14266

anu18

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for detail reply.

I have one more question for language proficiency.
Who is eligible to give "declaration statement about English proficiency"?

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
anu18 said:
Thanks for detail reply.

I have one more question for language proficiency.
Who is eligible to give "declaration statement about English proficiency"?
The principal applicant can make a declaratory statement about his/her English Language proficiency, if the applicant's first language is not English.

Applicants from countries in which the native language is not English have claimed that IELTS was waived for them. But strangely enough, these applicants fail to enlighten us on their educational and /or work experience background; thus giving other applicants a false sense of security that waiver of IELTS can be granted to applicants whose first language is not English. Do not fall into that trap.

DECLARATORY STATEMENT

When an applicant's first language is not English, and the applicant would like to have an IELTS waiver, the applicant must make an affidavit that serves as a Declaratory Statement as well as to why he/she should be granted the waiver.

Your declaratory statement should state why you consider yourself English proficient; usually, this includes factors such as:

1. Having done most of your education in an English speaking country like the U.S., Canada, U.K., New Zealand, and Austrailia.

2. If you completed your tertiary /post secondary education in any of the above countries; however, just doing the bachelors degree, or just doing a masters program might not be sufficient, but you can always base your statement on either.

3 Completing both bachelors and masters in any of the above countries, which adds up to at least 5 or 6 years of intense studies in English at the tertiary level, will be an advantage - but it is up to CIC though.

4. Maybe, you can have your English professor or any other professor attest to your English speaking and writing skills in the form of a notarized letter, which you can add as a supporting document to your statement.

5. Proof of your education in these countries through your diplomas, which is already part of your application anyway as proof of educational experience.

6. If you have a Ph.D from any of these countries.

7. If you have published an academic paper /thesis - don't forget to include a notarized copy, if this applies to you. Bear in mind, I am not talking about the usual papers you did during your courses - I am referring to an academic material that you authored and have published in an academic journal.

Lastly, remember that even if you can show any or most of the above factors, the discretionary authority for the waiver rests with CIC. If you do a declaratory statement, be prepared at the same time that CIC can always request later on for you to take the IELTS.

When an applicant sends in a declaratory statement with supporting documentation, but CIC still requests the applicant to do the IELTS later on, they usually give 120 days for you to complete and send in the original results.

If you send in a declaratory statement, please do not send in a weak statement with "flowery" language and no substantial proof.

Dipak Patel

Jul 27, 2009
How to get US State Police clearance certificate while i am in india rightnow

Hello There

I have applied for Permanate Residence For Canada as Family Sponsore formate.I was used to stay USA one and half year so i have to submit FBI clearance and US state clearance too.

But My Question Is How Can Get US State Clearance? and i have to submit this think with in 7 week now...so anyone can guide me that how can i do this proceger very fast.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: How to get US State Police clearance certificate while i am in india rightnow

Hi

quote author=Dipak Patel link=topic=5371.msg119355#msg119355 date=1248686515]
Hello There

I have applied for Permanate Residence For Canada as Family Sponsore formate.I was used to stay USA one and half year so i have to submit FBI clearance and US state clearance too.

But My Question Is How Can Get US State Clearance? and i have to submit this think with in 7 week now...so anyone can guide me that how can i do this proceger very fast.

Thanks
[/quote]

"When all else fails, read the instructions"

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/offices-bureaux/certificates-certificat.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=332&menu=L

PMM

ADA

Mar 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Mar 2009
Doc's Request.
07 Apr 2009 - Sent on 29 Jun 2009
For FBI, you can go the website given in instruction and send fingerprint in the form given there.
Also please use search facility given, there are quite a few threads on the exact same topic

bkk

Jan 20, 2010
hello, anyone knows......if the money order is cashed out.....is that mean they have already issued the FBI clearance letter? I sope to CR people yesterday told me it is not in their database.........what does it mean?