+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get Open Work Permit for Sponsorship?

quadruplemind

Aug 23, 2019
I received a letter from CIC saying that my PR application through sponsorship has been approved in principle, and that I can now apply for Open Work Permit. However I haven't been able to find any information on what exactly I can apply for...
I spoke to an officer at a Port of Entry, and he told me I have to apply under a specific program online, even though the IRCC previously told me there isn't any specific program or category to apply to.
The only thing I can find says I need to take IELT or CELPIP in order to proceed.
Links will be highly appreciated

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
I received a letter from CIC saying that my PR application through sponsorship has been approved in principle, and that I can now apply for Open Work Permit. However I haven't been able to find any information on what exactly I can apply for...
I spoke to an officer at a Port of Entry, and he told me I have to apply under a specific program online, even though the IRCC previously told me there isn't any specific program or category to apply to.
The only thing I can find says I need to take IELT or CELPIP in order to proceed.
Links will be highly appreciated
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

quadruplemind

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you for the link.
However when I go to my CIC application, it asks for a Personal Reference Code and I cannot find anything that falls under the Sponsorship Open Work Permit. I also can't find it under "Start an Application".
Any ideas of how to get it?
I figured out there's also this thing but I don't know where to go from there: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/special-initiatives-pilot-project/partner.html

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Thank you for the link.
However when I go to my CIC application, it asks for a Personal Reference Code and I cannot find anything that falls under the Sponsorship Open Work Permit. I also can't find it under "Start an Application".
Any ideas of how to get it?
I figured out there's also this thing but I don't know where to go from there: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/special-initiatives-pilot-project/partner.html
You can submit online or paper application. For online application, your husband have to create a mycic account and apply

quadruplemind

Aug 23, 2019
You can submit online or paper application. For online application, your husband have to create a mycic account and apply
Ah, does this mean I cannot apply from my CIC even if I'm applying from inside Canada? I should probably clarify that my sponsor is Canadian

michael22

Aug 25, 2018
I did some digging around on my cic as I'm sure this is possible.
So when you're in your account you can click on the Apply to come to Canada
You won't have the personal ref code so at the bottom click on visitor visa, study and/Or work visa
Then it is a questionnaire asking how what you want. From memory you click on the work less than 6 months option. You continue through the questionnaire screens. It will eventually say that an open work permit is suitable and ask you some more questions. When it confirms open work permit then it provides you with the personal ref code that you can then put in and this is valid for 60 days.
It should then guide you as to what forms need completed and what the payment is. I believe I paid 255 for it? And then you can send it online. I hope this helps