+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get NJ drivers abstract?

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hi - I recently moved from NJ to Toronto. I am looking to convert my NJ DL to Canadian license. I went to drivetest with the following:
1. NJ Full driver abstract that was requested online and mailed to me on my physical address. This abstract only has expiration date and does not have issue date.
2. ALL my old and current licenses.

However, drivetest asked me to get another abstract which is supposedly 2-3 pages. I m really not sure where to get that. I have tried looking online but really haven't found anything helpful.

Anyone has any idea how to get the abstract with issue date and recently gone through the process? I looked at form DO-11 but it requires to send money order. I m not sure if I can send money order from Canada to NJ.

Thank you.
Dvan

rollno22

Apr 6, 2022
Speak with Trenton DMV. we did that in 2020. can send a personal check for the amount along with DO11.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Speak with Trenton DMV. we did that in 2020. can send a personal check for the amount along with DO11.
Thanks. How do you reach out to Trenton DMV? We have tried contacting them but no reponse. Also I have 2 licenses one of them is expired and the other is current one. Do I need to fill out 2 DO-11 forms?

Thanks.
Dvan

rollno22

Apr 6, 2022
Thanks. How do you reach out to Trenton DMV? We have tried contacting them but no reponse. Also I have 2 licenses one of them is expired and the other is current one. Do I need to fill out 2 DO-11 forms?

Thanks.
Dvan
google it, print and send over by Fedex ( that's what I did)

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
google it, print and send over by Fedex ( that's what I did)
Well I have tried to google all this before posting on this forum. But no luck that's why reaching out here to learn how others have successfully done this process!

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
To anyone looking for an answer for this:
Try going to a service ontario that supports drivers exchange. I was able to get mine exchanged with the NJ online driver abstract and all my original old licenses (for the first issue date). Make sure you book an appointment.
Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks.
Dvan

Reactions: de1007

stscorcher

Jun 9, 2022
Try going to a service ontario that supports drivers exchange. I was able to get mine exchanged with the NJ online driver abstract and all my original old licenses (for the first issue date). Make sure you book an appointment.

Thanks.
Dvan
it never crossed my mind that we can exchange drivers license at service Ontario!! Thanks for sharing this info. All long I thought it was either drivetest or bust!!

Can you pls share if you got a G or G2 with just the abstract and past original drivers ? When I went to a drivetest with just abstract and all original past NJ drivers I was told the years of experience can’t be counted and I can only get a g2.

so filled out a do-11 form wrote a $15 check for NJ MVC mailed it via Canada post and got the “Transaction file record” which had the date my first NJ license was issued.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
it never crossed my mind that we can exchange drivers license at service Ontario!! Thanks for sharing this info. All long I thought it was either drivetest or bust!!

Can you pls share if you got a G or G2 with just the abstract and past original drivers ? When I went to a drivetest with just abstract and all original past NJ drivers I was told the years of experience can’t be counted and I can only get a g2.

so filled out a do-11 form wrote a $15 check for NJ MVC mailed it via Canada post and got the “Transaction file record” which had the date my first NJ license was issued.
Same here! I had no idea but someone posted on this thread (and later deleted the post I guess because I don't see it anymore but I see their reply in my email) that they got it at Service Ontario, so I thought I'll try my luck. Big thanks to that person.

I got a G as I have more than 2 years experience driving in the US. I had my DO-11 form ready to send out to Trenton but this worked out.

de1007

Sep 12, 2023
DriveTest Canada is HORRIBLE for getting your NJ License exchange for Canada.

This past week, I took my certified drivers abstract to Service Ontario in Toronto( which does out of province and country license exchanges (The only location I'm aware who does this process).

They took my NJ license away and gave me G2 License (I had just under 2 years of exprience).

The documents I provided were:

1. Certified Drivers Abstract (the one which could be used in the court of law) which i paid $15 on the NJ DMV website and a copy was mailed to the mailing address i have associated to my NJ Drivers License

2. My Drivers License.

If anyone knows, Since they took my NJ license away, can i order a new one from NJ? or will that be considered fraud or cause issues in the future if i decide to apply for my US PR? (i was an international student in the US)

de1007

Sep 12, 2023

Thanks.
Dvan

I can attest to this.Was probably the easiest hassle free process unlike DriveTest

hbk

Jan 28, 2022
DriveTest Canada is HORRIBLE for getting your NJ License exchange for Canada.

This past week, I took my certified drivers abstract to Service Ontario in Toronto( which does out of province and country license exchanges (The only location I'm aware who does this process).

They took my NJ license away and gave me G2 License (I had just under 2 years of exprience).

The documents I provided were:

1. Certified Drivers Abstract (the one which could be used in the court of law) which i paid $15 on the NJ DMV website and a copy was mailed to the mailing address i have associated to my NJ Drivers License

2. My Drivers License.

If anyone knows, Since they took my NJ license away, can i order a new one from NJ? or will that be considered fraud or cause issues in the future if i decide to apply for my US PR? (i was an international student in the US)
Hey! I got rejected from drive test centers (three different locations) for exchange with NJ driver's abstract. It does not have date of first license and I kept telling them that this is what I got from NJ MVC. I was wondering about trying my luck at the service ontario location which does this as you suggested. The appointments are not available till November. Will they allow walk-in in case you know about it?