+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get my Mexican partner's parents to Canada

MexCan123

Feb 23, 2015
I asked this question on Leon's thread hoping for an answer and also because I didn't see the new topic button until now...

I am a Canadian who is in a common law relationship with a Mexican. We have a three year old who was born in Mexico. In the next few weeks we are doing passports (for them), translating of documents, and things needed to send in for visas. My son does not have his natural citizenship (I am pretty sure it's called?!) and so we will also be sending for that. We will be sending for my son at the same time we send for his father. Since we have been together so long and also have a son, I am not so worried about my partner getting a visa... although I have been in Mexico for the last 6 years and am not positive about the sponsorship part due to my income..
The main question - Is there a visa that we can try to get to bring his parents over? Or does my partner need to live in Canada for a certain amount of time before bringing them over? We really want to bring his parents as soon as we can. If there is a visa that I can do for his parents at the same time as him, could someone please let me know. We plan on moving there once my partner is finished his studies. We would love if his parents could come at the same time.
Thanks everyone!

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Firstly if you havent already I would familiarise yourself with the application process for outland application presuming this is how you are going to apply.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Read the sponsorship guide a few times.

As you said you can get your son's citizenship certificate, its a relatively straightforward process and after you get that you can apply for his Canadian passport.

There is no financial requirement for spousal sponsorship but it is advisable when you submit your application that you show how you are going to support yourselves financially as CIC want to ensure that your husband will not require welfare during the three years you will be financially responsible for him once he receives his PR. You will also need to show intent to move back to Canada as this is also part of the requirement for outland applications.

Sponsoring parents can be a very long process - many years in fact. The best option is the supervisa but I'm not an expert on this and I know you will have to be residing in Canada first and there are financial requirements before you can apply. Here is the link for more info.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa-who.asp

I would prioritise your husbands sponsorhsip before you worry about his parents as thats a difficult enough process anyway!

MexCan123

Feb 23, 2015
Thank you Brucem!
I will take a good look at those. I know in the US if you cannot sponsor them because you have been living out of the country, you need to fill out a affidavit form. I am looking into that for Canada as well.
And yes, we will focus on my partner first. Thanks for that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MexCan123 said:
Thank you Brucem!
I will take a good look at those. I know in the US if you cannot sponsor them because you have been living out of the country, you need to fill out a affidavit form. I am looking into that for Canada as well.
And yes, we will focus on my partner first. Thanks for that.
Before you can apply to sponsor your partner's parents, your partner will first have to become a PR. Once your partner is a PR, you will be able to sponsor your paretner's parents once your combined incomes (i.e. yours and your partner's) meet the Low Income Cut Off (LICO) for sponsoring for three years in a row. Note that this income must come from Canadian sources and you must produce three years of Canadian tax returns to prove you meet this requirement. Since you are only sponsoring your partner now and it sounds like you have been living outside of Canada yourself, you are a minimum of 4-5 years away from the time when you can even apply to sponsor your partner's parents. Once the application is submitted, you'll be looking at at least another three years before the application is processed.

In the meantime, you can look into having them visit long term on the super visa (this will allow them to visit but not live in Canada). Note the super visa also requires you to have income from Canadian sources (although not for three years).

MexCan123

Feb 23, 2015
scylla said:
Before you can apply to sponsor your partner's parents, your partner will first have to become a PR. Once your partner is a PR, you will be able to sponsor your paretner's parents once your combined incomes (i.e. yours and your partner's) meet the Low Income Cut Off (LICO) for sponsoring for three years in a row. Note that this income must come from Canadian sources and you must produce three years of Canadian tax returns to prove you meet this requirement. Since you are only sponsoring your partner now and it sounds like you have been living outside of Canada yourself, you are a minimum of 4-5 years away from the time when you can even apply to sponsor your partner's parents. Once the application is submitted, you'll be looking at at least another three years before the application is processed.

In the meantime, you can look into having them visit long term on the super visa (this will allow them to visit but not live in Canada). Note the super visa also requires you to have income from Canadian sources (although not for three years).
Hi, than you for replying! A question about the last part of the first paragraph.. I will be looking at at least 3 years for the application to be processed for my common law partner?!! Is that what you meant? Only because I have been living outside of Canada for 6 years?
We also have a son together - does that not speed the process? 3 years is such a long time! Why would it take so long?
Thank you for your answers.

MexCan123

Feb 23, 2015
Sorry, you meant for his parents, right? I got super overwhelmed with that and assumed you meant for my partner. Sorry! And good to know. I had no idea it would take that long to get try to get his parents there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MexCan123 said:
Sorry, you meant for his parents, right? I got super overwhelmed with that and assumed you meant for my partner. Sorry! And good to know. I had no idea it would take that long to get try to get his parents there.
Yes - the three years is for the parent application.

Best case scenario it will be 4 years from the time your partner has PR AND you have both returned to Canada before you will be able to apply for the parents. Once you submit the application, base case you are looking at 3 years before the application will be approved. So best case is 7 years from the time you return to Canada.

MexCan123

Feb 23, 2015
scylla said:
Yes - the three years is for the parent application.

Best case scenario it will be 4 years from the time your partner has PR AND you have both returned to Canada before you will be able to apply for the parents. Once you submit the application, base case you are looking at 3 years before the application will be approved. So best case is 7 years from the time you return to Canada.
Thank you for answering. That helps a lot... but wow!! I had no idea it would take that long. My heart is a bit broken by that.. thank you so much for your reply.