+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

jems992

Aug 21, 2013
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Dear Sohailss, while you wait for Qorax's response, here is a thread by Qorax himself, pretty much self explanatory

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers
Thanx.. Its really helpful...

hirkshah

Jul 13, 2010
Ahmedbad India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 28, 2010
Doc's Request.
Sept 30, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 04, 2010
File Transfer...
March 06, 2012
Med's Request
July 09, 2013
Med's Done....
July 31, 2013
Passport Req..
July 09, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 08, 2013
Hi,

We have completed our medicals and waiting for visas. I wanted to check for driving license. If we obtain experience letter from Indian RTO for more than 24 months, will that be acceptable to appear for G2 test? In India we drive right hand and in Canada it will be left handed so will that cause any issue?

Any guidance would be very helpful?

hirkshah

Jul 13, 2010
Ahmedbad India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 28, 2010
Doc's Request.
Sept 30, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 04, 2010
File Transfer...
March 06, 2012
Med's Request
July 09, 2013
Med's Done....
July 31, 2013
Passport Req..
July 09, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 08, 2013
Hello Friends,

Any one from India who has already landed can help answer below query please?

hirkshah said:
Hi,

We have completed our medicals and waiting for visas. I wanted to check for driving license. If we obtain experience letter from Indian RTO for more than 24 months, will that be acceptable to appear for G2 test? In India we drive right hand and in Canada it will be left handed so will that cause any issue?

nvln

Mar 14, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Hopefully will be waived....!!
hirkshah said:
Hi,

I also have the same question - answers from members who have landed will be really helpful.

Thanks.
NVLN.

abhijeet9k

Jan 14, 2011
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER - 06-03-2012
AOR Received.
28-03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application. Overall 8.0
File Transfer...
28-03-2012
Med's Request
04-12-2012 & RPRF Request Received
Med's Done....
3rd line updated - Meds Received 13/01/2013 & RPRF encashed 21/12/2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-01-2013
LANDED..........
Landed on 26-06-2013
nvln said:
I also have the same question - answers from members who have landed will be really helpful.

Thanks.
NVLN.
Hi I landed in Alberta and went to local registry .. i have Indian license from 2000 so was asked to give knowledge test (paid $17) first on the registry computer and upon clearing that ( need to get 25 correct answers fro 30 questions - multiple choice) had to clear vision test at the registry on their vision testing machine... next had to pay for my learners license and had to surrender my Indian license for verification paid $ 85 for learners license and $25 for Indian license verification ( takes up to 3 weeks) once my verification is complete then I have to give a road test - depending on verification will have to do basic road test for class 5 GDL probationary license or advance road test class 5 full license. awaiting verification now....

maina

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2013
New Jersey
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-May-2013 PER : 9-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
11-Oct-2013
Cur-Rozen said:
Hi. I have landed this February in Toronto and went through the process easy and smooth thanks to this forum and personally to Qorax and his thread!!! Thank you!!!

We came from Moldova and have done all the letters in advance with translations. I can update you on some important issue!

1. MTO (Ministry of Transportation of Ontario) doesn't accept anymore translations from your home country – only certified translation from Canadian certified translator. So don't spend money on translations!

2. Before giving an exam I strongly suggest you to take at least 1-2 driving lessons!!! There are small issues special only for Canada that can cost several trials. Instructor will guide you through them easily. For example: how you turn your head on intersections (experienced drivers were failing time after time only because they were not turning their head 3 times on every intersection); when you park back side you MUST look through your shoulder and not in mirrors etc.

3. Spend some extra money and take the Certified Driving Courses. It takes 4 days theory and some practical (in car) lessons, but it gives you discount on your car insurance. As they (insurance companies) take in consideration only your driving experience in Canada (and US sometimes) this certificate can reduce your insurance on 15%!!! Believe me – that's a lot!

4. Car insurance is very expensive, especially for newcomers. We got the cheapest possible one and it cost us 440$ a month for the new Toyota Corolla. Call as many insurance companies as you can to find the cheapest quote. And use Certificate I told you before. Declare the shortest distance you are going to drive (the less you kind of drive the smaller quote you gonna receive). Availability of garage or parking spot will also reduce your insurance cost.

5. Calling companies consider TD Bank (best quotes, but very-very long consideration period 1-2 months). We took ours in Desjardin (2 days and the best price after TD). But all insurance companies have their promotions and changes so be sure to check all possible options. If you take car insurance with house insurance – can be cheaper (local issue)!

6. About driving school in Toronto – there are plenty advertising online, but we took A&L Sprint Driving School. We were very happy! Their instructor – Arie Daich. He speaks English, Russian and Hebrew and he is very calm, patient and gives you tips on everything! We also took their car for the Drive Test. Here driver examiners feels more relaxed when you giving test on instructor's car because it has second pare of brakes :) and they have more control in critical situation.

7. Be sure to prepare for the Written Test in advance (in home country), because here you will have a lot of things to settle down and worry. Take at least one away! You can download the Driver's Handbook for Ontario on MTO web site or practice there online.

8. You have 60 days that you can drive with your foreign license, but the insurance will cost you huge amount of money! Driving without insurance is illegal and can get you in a very serious trouble, even refuse of citizenship in the long run.

9. Usefull links:
Driving School – www.alsprintdriving.com
Driver's Handbook - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml
+1

maina

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2013
New Jersey
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-May-2013 PER : 9-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
11-Oct-2013
qorax said:
How to obtain Ontario Driving License
with our Home Country's D/License

Dear all,

Let me address another query which getting repetitive here. The procedure of obtaining a Canadian driving license is pretty much simple within our 1st few days [max a week]. Remember, this is 'easy' if we are coming from countries which has a similar driving & road management conditions [read 'left-hand drive']. If not, we may have to undertake some training before we apply.
Pre-conditions / Which License:
1. If we have over 24 months 'overseas' driving experience -we get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24] driving experience -we get the Ontario G1 Driving License.
(Details below)

Direct Swap of Licenses:
If our home country doesn't have a *reciprocal licence exchange agreement with Ontario, we cannot Swap our current D/License to get a Toronto-ON D/License.
*Reciprocal License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

What is the Procedure then:
But, in that case do we have to START all over Again? No... We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication'* from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining** our D/License.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy'* of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority. Both 1 & 2 maybe clubbed in one.
3. Obtain an International Driving License/Permit*** (IDL / IDP).
stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
*In English or French, the 2 Canadian Official Languages.
**The explanation should include 24 or 12 months driving experience [the Pre-conditions will apply].
***This is nothing but a translated copy of our present D/license. (it can be used in lieu of point-1 & 2 above).

Benefits of the IDL / IDP:
With the foregoing, we can drive a car abroad for three [3] months (2 months, in Ontario). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. This International Driving Licenses [IDL/IDP]are issued against our original D/Licenses by the Automobile Associations or [sometimes] the RTA/RTO of our home country. Check them for more details.

Step-2 -After you 'Land':
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G2 'waiting period' and get the G2 license immediately [with that 24 months letter] or a G1 driving license [if we only have the above 12 months letter].

Now for the Ontario driver's licence are required to;
1. Present a valid foreign Driver's License*,
2. Provide an acceptable Proof of Identity [SIN, PR card etc.]
3. Pay all applicable Fees,
4. Pass a Vision Test
5. Pass the Written Knowledge Test -regarding Ontario's traffic rules.
*If it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator; [we got that, as the Authentication Letter]

Note: Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case we get the G1* license only.

Step-3 -The Tests to take:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,

1. After Step-2, we can attempt the G2*Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
2. Upon successfully passing the G2* Exit Road Test, we get the G2* license.
3. After few months of driving under G2* we can apply for a G*Licence.
4. If we 'only' have the 12 months letter & not the 24, we qualify for G1* Road Test & the G1* driving license only.
5. If we don't provide any letter, we must pass the G1* road test and have a 12-month wait period for taking G2* road test.

*The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:
-G1 License has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada [read 'left-hand drive' experience & similar road/traffic management conditions].
-G2 License is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.
Source:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

Note:
1. The above procedure is mainly addressed for the Ontario (ON) province.
2. The procedure is pretty much similar with all other provinces as well [BC, NS, NB etc.].
3. If we are not coming from a similar driving condition country, we must take some training before we proceed.
4. Usually we can get the G2 driving license quite easily [with the foregoing steps].

Hope that helped...
Qorax
wow
+1

0neTw0

Sep 10, 2013
Ungvar
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
qorax said:
US D/license is valid in Canada for 2-3 months [ditto as an International D/License].

QORAX
And what about IDG (International Drivers Group) hiip://idg.com
Can i do use them in Ontario?

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
+1
Cur-Rozen said:
Hi. I have landed this February in Toronto and went through the process easy and smooth thanks to this forum and personally to Qorax and his thread!!! Thank you!!!

We came from Moldova and have done all the letters in advance with translations. I can update you on some important issue!

1. MTO (Ministry of Transportation of Ontario) doesn't accept anymore translations from your home country – only certified translation from Canadian certified translator. So don't spend money on translations!

2. Before giving an exam I strongly suggest you to take at least 1-2 driving lessons!!! There are small issues special only for Canada that can cost several trials. Instructor will guide you through them easily. For example: how you turn your head on intersections (experienced drivers were failing time after time only because they were not turning their head 3 times on every intersection); when you park back side you MUST look through your shoulder and not in mirrors etc.

3. Spend some extra money and take the Certified Driving Courses. It takes 4 days theory and some practical (in car) lessons, but it gives you discount on your car insurance. As they (insurance companies) take in consideration only your driving experience in Canada (and US sometimes) this certificate can reduce your insurance on 15%!!! Believe me – that's a lot!

4. Car insurance is very expensive, especially for newcomers. We got the cheapest possible one and it cost us 440$ a month for the new Toyota Corolla. Call as many insurance companies as you can to find the cheapest quote. And use Certificate I told you before. Declare the shortest distance you are going to drive (the less you kind of drive the smaller quote you gonna receive). Availability of garage or parking spot will also reduce your insurance cost.

5. Calling companies consider TD Bank (best quotes, but very-very long consideration period 1-2 months). We took ours in Desjardin (2 days and the best price after TD). But all insurance companies have their promotions and changes so be sure to check all possible options. If you take car insurance with house insurance – can be cheaper (local issue)!

6. About driving school in Toronto – there are plenty advertising online, but we took A&L Sprint Driving School. We were very happy! Their instructor – Arie Daich. He speaks English, Russian and Hebrew and he is very calm, patient and gives you tips on everything! We also took their car for the Drive Test. Here driver examiners feels more relaxed when you giving test on instructor's car because it has second pare of brakes :) and they have more control in critical situation.

7. Be sure to prepare for the Written Test in advance (in home country), because here you will have a lot of things to settle down and worry. Take at least one away! You can download the Driver's Handbook for Ontario on MTO web site or practice there online.

8. You have 60 days that you can drive with your foreign license, but the insurance will cost you huge amount of money! Driving without insurance is illegal and can get you in a very serious trouble, even refuse of citizenship in the long run.

9. Usefull links:
Driving School – www.alsprintdriving.com
Driver's Handbook - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
What about Saudi Arabia Driving License holder with the experience of more than 5 years of driving??
can we swap the license OR it would be like a new applicant?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
masood8 said:
What about Saudi Arabia Driving License holder with the experience of more than 5 years of driving??
can we swap the license OR it would be like a new applicant?
You can only swap a licence if your country has an agreement with Canada. Saudi Arabia has no agreement. However, you are not like a new applicant either. If you can prove your experience, you will be given credit for it and allowed to take the advanced road test right away so you can get a full license if you pass.

Marata

Dec 11, 2012
DEAR Qorax,

A question please.
Using inter. Driving License upon first landing... would I be able to use international driving license when deciding moving to Canada after 2 years of Landing, or this option is valid upon our first landing only.

Thanks
with our Home Country's D/License [/size][/font][/color]

Dear all,

Let me address another query which getting repetitive here. The procedure of obtaining a Canadian driving license is pretty much simple within our 1st few days [max a week]. Remember, this is 'easy' if we are coming from countries which has a similar driving & road management conditions [read 'left-hand drive']. If not, we may have to undertake some training before we apply.
Pre-conditions / Which License:
1. If we have over 24 months 'overseas' driving experience -we get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24] driving experience -we get the Ontario G1 Driving License.
(Details below)

Direct Swap of Licenses:
If our home country doesn't have a *reciprocal licence exchange agreement with Ontario, we cannot Swap our current D/License to get a Toronto-ON D/License.
*Reciprocal License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

What is the Procedure then:
But, in that case do we have to START all over Again? No... We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication'* from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining** our D/License.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy'* of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority. Both 1 & 2 maybe clubbed in one.
3. Obtain an International Driving License/Permit*** (IDL / IDP).
stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
*In English or French, the 2 Canadian Official Languages.
**The explanation should include 24 or 12 months driving experience [the Pre-conditions will apply].
***This is nothing but a translated copy of our present D/license. (it can be used in lieu of point-1 & 2 above).

Benefits of the IDL / IDP:
With the foregoing, we can drive a car abroad for three [3] months (2 months, in Ontario). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. This International Driving Licenses [IDL/IDP]are issued against our original D/Licenses by the Automobile Associations or [sometimes] the RTA/RTO of our home country. Check them for more details.

Step-2 -After you 'Land':
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G2 'waiting period' and get the G2 license immediately [with that 24 months letter] or a G1 driving license [if we only have the above 12 months letter].

Now for the Ontario driver's licence are required to;
1. Present a valid foreign Driver's License*,
2. Provide an acceptable Proof of Identity [SIN, PR card etc.]
3. Pay all applicable Fees,
4. Pass a Vision Test
5. Pass the Written Knowledge Test -regarding Ontario's traffic rules.
*If it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator; [we got that, as the Authentication Letter]

Note: Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case we get the G1* license only.

Step-3 -The Tests to take:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,

1. After Step-2, we can attempt the G2*Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
2. Upon successfully passing the G2* Exit Road Test, we get the G2* license.
3. After few months of driving under G2* we can apply for a G*Licence.
4. If we 'only' have the 12 months letter & not the 24, we qualify for G1* Road Test & the G1* driving license only.
5. If we don't provide any letter, we must pass the G1* road test and have a 12-month wait period for taking G2* road test.

*The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:
-G1 License has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada [read 'left-hand drive' experience & similar road/traffic management conditions].
-G2 License is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.
Source:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

Note:
1. The above procedure is mainly addressed for the Ontario (ON) province.
2. The procedure is pretty much similar with all other provinces as well [BC, NS, NB etc.].
3. If we are not coming from a similar driving condition country, we must take some training before we proceed.
4. Usually we can get the G2 driving license quite easily [with the foregoing steps].

Hope that helped...
Qorax
[/quote]

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marata said:
A question please.
Using inter. Driving License upon first landing... would I be able to use international driving license when deciding moving to Canada after 2 years of Landing, or this option is valid upon our first landing only.
In Ontario, you can drive on your home country license for up to 60 days before you need to switch. If you made a trip that was shorter than 60 days when you landed, then you were not required to exchange your license. If you move to Canada 2 years later, you have another 60 days that you can drive before you have to exchange your license.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
In Ontario, you can drive on your home country license for up to 60 days before you need to switch. If you made a trip that was shorter than 60 days when you landed, then you were not required to exchange your license. If you move to Canada 2 years later, you have another 60 days that you can drive before you have to exchange your license.
How about can we purchase a car and insurance with foreign license? like the case with Alberta