+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get a work visa to work in my own business in Canada

gen121

May 20, 2010
scylla said:
Information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

You won't qualify to apply for one for your own business. Only an employer with an existing business can get one.
Thanks Scylla, what would you advice in this case,

I have a registered Incorporation in Canada. I would like to offer my personally services for some specialized Online marketing job as a staff of my company i.e. all payments are made to my company directly. This job would mean I will work at the client's premises for the duration of the contract.

1. Can I do this without a Work permit?

2. Are there any restrictions to this type of service by a company owned and operated by a foreigner?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gen121 said:
Thanks Scylla, what would you advice in this case,

I have a registered Incorporation in Canada. I would like to offer my personally services for some specialized Online marketing job as a staff of my company i.e. all payments are made to my company directly. This job would mean I will work at the client's premises for the duration of the contract.

1. Can I do this without a Work permit?

2. Are there any restrictions to this type of service by a company owned and operated by a foreigner?

Thanks.
You need a work permit. And to obtain a work permit, you first need an approved LMIA.

gen121

May 20, 2010
scylla said:
You need a work permit. And to obtain a work permit, you first need an approved LMIA.
Thanks Scylla.

So I can properly understand you, I have another question.
I believe I can employ staff members who already have Work permits to do this same job, Can't I?

My company already offers services (without going to clients office) that our clients pay for.
What makes the earlier proposal different from what I have explained above, that we need a work permit for? The same job is being done with the difference that (because of the nature of their project) we have moved it to their premises?

If my company is in the manpower hiring service, would a work permit hinder our services if the company was to hire me to one of our clients?

Thanks for making things clear.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've assumed your client is in Canada and working on the client premises means working physically in Canada. If so, a work permit is required because you are working physically in Canada.

I'm not sure I understand your other questions.

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The discussion seems very clear to me that you cannot get a visa without someone else hiring you and you cannot hire yourself in your company unless you have your company incorporated and approved for business, so I think it is clear.

Now, I have a doubt suppose I get a investor visa, then will I be permitted to work in my company directly or I need to hire myself and get work visa??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not sure what you mean by an "investor visa". If you mean getting permanent residency as an investor - then there will be no work permit required once you have become a permanent resident and landed in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ImmigrationOverseas said:
Hello,

Yes, scylla, you must do according to the lawyer because he can better guide you.
No - not necessarily. We see lawyer give wrong information all of the time. For example, you wouldn't believe how many people here have been told by their lawyers that you cannot submit an outland spousal sponsorship application if you are living in Canada (this is 100% wrong). I would certainly listen to a good lawyer who is very experienced in Canadian immigration law. Unfortunately there are also many bad lawyers out there who do not provide good advice. There are also many bad consultants.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
scylla said:
No - not necessarily. We see lawyer give wrong information all of the time. For example, you wouldn't believe how many people here have been told by their lawyers that you cannot submit an outland spousal sponsorship application if you are living in Canada (this is 100% wrong). I would certainly listen to a good lawyer who is very experienced in Canadian immigration law. Unfortunately there are also many bad lawyers out there who do not provide good advice. There are also many bad consultants.
On this subject, I find it strange that anyone would want to turn to immigration consultants for ANY advice. Immigration Consultant is an overblown term. Like many other types of consultants, this type of profession only exists because people want somebody to tell them what they want to hear, whether it's true or not. And they want a crying shoulder that promises an appeal when a refusal decision arrives in the mail.

There is nothing to "consult" consultants about. They don't have any information that's not publicly available. Not only do they NOT have information you can't access yourself on official sources, but they are so unscrupulous they deliberately take advantage of your desperation and give you advice which they know is false, just to take your money. For this reason alone this profession should be outlawed. If people need someone to fill out their forms for them then maybe they're not skilled enough to immigrate as a skilled worker, or businessperson or whatever.

surinderjit

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13 Sept 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
29 Sept
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
14 Sept
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
18 Jan 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Feb 2017
LANDED..........
Awaiting
Hi All,

Need advise on establishing IT company in Canada.

We have IT company registered in India and UAE who provide service for information security compliance (30 employees). have partners in many regions (Malaysia and Singapore).

We want expansion in US and Canada region and want to start from Toronto. We want to transfer 1 or 2 employees to Canada to start the sales work and later delivery of work.

Pls advise type of visa required to sales and work. We have option to move either one of the share holders or employee. We are also exploring partner options with any existing cmpanay in US.

I think start-up visa would be difficult for us. Pls suggest.

LoudArts

Jun 13, 2015
If i wanted to set up my existing UK company as a new company,are you saying that I can't work in that business? I expected to be able to set up a new business under the self employed route then employ others as we expanded,is this possible?Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LoudArts said:
If i wanted to set up my existing UK company as a new company,are you saying that I can't work in that business? I expected to be able to set up a new business under the self employed route then employ others as we expanded,is this possible?Thanks
Once you have permanent residency you can certainly work for the business you have set up.

LoudArts

Jun 13, 2015
How do you get permanent residency then set your business up? I thought that applying via the self employed route was the way to get permanent residency,also if you can't work for your own business then why do they have a self employed route to get in?

Our existing business model works really well in the UK and we are confident that it will do well in Canada,however finding the best route into Canada is confusing.

mukhtarawan

Jun 20, 2015
I want to start some business at Canada.. How I can get the immigration.. please guide.. I have sufficient investments

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mukhtarawan said:
I want to start some business at Canada.. How I can get the immigration.. please guide.. I have sufficient investments
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp