+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get a job in an unstable climate?

AlexS

Mar 3, 2009
For those of you who have landed or who are about to land, have you managed to find a job?

If you haven't found a job but have landed, are you living off savings? How are you coping? How long have you been looking for a job (both before you landed and since you've landed).

Since the Canadian government is prioritising Canadian citizens for any jobs that are available, where does this leave much needed Skilled workers coming from overseas??

Any insight would be appreciated.

nabeez

Jun 26, 2008
Hi there ...

I was lucky to find a job after 80 days of landing ... as an IT Project Manager ...

I have lots of tips & hits for immigrants that are planning to come or already landed ... so I started to write all my experience in a blog ..

So here is Job Search related posts: http://www.immigrationexpertise.com/2008/10/job-search-spirit.html

And you can go through other posts like Cost of Living, Housing, transportation, preparing for landing ..etc ... @ http://www.immigrationexpertise.com/

Hope that helps.
Nabil
www.immigrationexpertise.com

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
NewYorker said:
NewYorker said:
nabeez said:
Hi there ...

I was lucky to find a job after 80 days of landing ... as an IT Project Manager ...

I have lots of tips & hits for immigrants that are planning to come or already landed ... so I started to write all my experience in a blog ..

So here is Job Search related posts: http://www.immigrationexpertise.com/2008/10/job-search-spirit.html

And you can go through other posts like Cost of Living, Housing, transportation, preparing for landing ..etc ... @ http://www.immigrationexpertise.com/

Hope that helps.
Nabil
www.immigrationexpertise.com

Sorry, no offense meant ~ but I have to say this, is it really a help or actually a "Pay Per Click" advertisement trap of your blog to generate profits for you?

C

cchabert

That is not a bad idea...hum...maybe I'll consider making a blog...LOL

charninder

Jul 2, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cchabert said:
That is not a bad idea...hum...maybe I'll consider making a blog...LOL
Hi,

I think Nabeez wanted to help newbees by sharing his experience and spreading awareness about Canadian jobs/life. It is not bad as long as newcomers benefit from his blog/experience. On the other hand if Nabeez is also benefitted from it, it does not matter.

Good Luck..

nabeez

Jun 26, 2008
NewYorker said:
Sorry, no offense meant ~ but I have to say this, is it really a help or actually a "Pay Per Click" advertisement trap of your blog to generate profits for you?
If you read through the blog you can get a sense on how much time and efforts I'm spending to share my experience!!!! If you don't appreciate those efforts and wanna look at it from the denying stand point that's a different issue.

However, I've got thousands of people who appreciate my efforts so your input doesn't really count!!

Nabil

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
nabeez said:
NewYorker said:
If you read through the blog you can get a sense on how much time and efforts I'm spending to share my experience!!!! If you don't appreciate those efforts and wanna look at it from the denying stand point that's a different issue.

However, I've got thousands of people who appreciate my efforts so your input doesn't really count!!

Nabil
Not a problem, my input doesn't count and I don't really care. I just wanted to say what I think of your blog.

nabeez

Jun 26, 2008
AlexS said:
For those of you who have landed or who are about to land, have you managed to find a job?

If you haven't found a job but have landed, are you living off savings? How are you coping? How long have you been looking for a job (both before you landed and since you've landed).

Since the Canadian government is prioritising Canadian citizens for any jobs that are available, where does this leave much needed Skilled workers coming from overseas??

NewYorker: --->> Whatever <<----

Back to you AlexS:

My advice to you is to consider Job Search a FULL TIME JOB ... you need to work 8 hours a day looking for a job in your profession, matching your resume with the job description and apply. Don't take a survival job because that will take all your time and you can't Job Search then.

If you run out of money ($1000 or less) you can apply for Social Assistance (it's called Ontario Works in Ontario), so you can survive until you find a job.

If you got the chance to work in Canada for 900 hours or more, you will be eligible for Employment Insurance which pays you around 55% of your salary (or maybe average salary, I'm not sure) which is more than what would you get from the Social Assistance.

If you have kids, don't forget to apply for Child Benefits. That is extra cash.

Regarding citizens and newcomers, it's not true ... Canadian Citizens are NOT prioritized over Permanent Residents .... if you faced this situation then you need to know that it's considered discrimination in Canada, and you can complain to human rights.

Employers in Canada are not allowed to ask you about when you came to Canada, or are you citizen or not? but they can ask you if you can work legally in Canada ....

Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Nabil

www.ImmigrationExpertise.com

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nabeez said:
AlexS said:

Back to you AlexS:

My advice to you is to consider Job Search a FULL TIME JOB ... you need to work 8 hours a day looking for a job in your profession, matching your resume with the job description and apply. Don't take a survival job because that will take all your time and you can't Job Search then.

If you run out of money ($1000 or less) you can apply for Social Assistance (it's called Ontario Works in Ontario), so you can survive until you find a job.

If you got the chance to work in Canada for 900 hours or more, you will be eligible for Employment Insurance which pays you around 55% of your salary (or maybe average salary, I'm not sure) which is more than what would you get from the Social Assistance.

Regarding citizens and newcomers, it's not true ... Canadian Citizens are NOT prioritized over Permanent Residents .... if you faced this situation then you need to know that it's considered discrimination in Canada, and you can complain to human rights.

Employers in Canada are not allowed to ask you about when you came to Canada, or are you citizen or not? but they can ask you if you can work legally in Canada ....

Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Nabil

Helpful and very informative. Thanks Nabeez.

C

cchabert

nabeez said:
AlexS said:

Back to you AlexS:

Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Nabil

..."If you have kids, don't forget to apply for Child Benefits. That is extra cash."... I have 2 little ones when I can apply?

nabeez

Jun 26, 2008
cchabert said:
..."If you have kids, don't forget to apply for Child Benefits. That is extra cash."... I have 2 little ones when I can apply?
You can apply on day one of landing ... check out this link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/menu-eng.html

Nabil

AlexS

Mar 3, 2009
Is it better to job search after you've landed or before??

I've applied for 50 jobs and haven't heard anything back from any of the companies, not even an acknowledgement despite advising them that I have a PR visa.

What more can you do?? I am very well qualified, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.