+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to: from student visa to PR status and then to citizenship

Skip

Aug 6, 2007
hi,

I am interested in knowing that if I do a 1 year graduate degree or diploma from canada then how should i generally plan my self for converting my student status to a PR and then to citizenship. How long does it usually take? Any particular minimum requirements I need to fulfill?

regards,
skip.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should read the immigrate section at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ Especially the provincial nominee programs where you have to look at each one of them for international graduate class but you can also look at Canadian experience class. Some of the PNP's might require you to take at least a 2 year course. You have to make sure that the course you have picked qualifies for their program as well as the school. After you have finished your studies you can apply for a post-grad work permit. Canada will give you a post-grad work permit (open work permit) of no more than 3 years but also only as long as your course was so if you took a 1 year course, 1 year work permit. Then you have to find an employer who will support your application for PR to the provincial program.

If you go through Canadian experience class, you would still have to make sure your school qualifies and your course, I think they require your course to be at least 2 years and you would have to work for a year before you can apply but you would not need employers support or sponsorship.

Once you get PR, you have to live in Canada 3 years (time spent in Canada before PR may count for up to 1 year of that so maybe only 2 years after PR) then you can apply for citizenship.

If you find a PNP that will let you apply with only a year of studies and employer support and you find an employer who will let you apply right away, your timeline would be 1 year studies + 1 year applying for PR + 2 years living in Canada as PR + 1 year processing of citizenship application, give or take 5 years.

navinvr

May 11, 2009
hi,

i am applying for a 2 year program. i have all of 7 years of prior work experience though, in my country of nationality. Would i still have to work 1 year after course completion to apply for my PR or could it be done earlier.

Cheers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you qualify to apply for FSW, that is 67+ points on self assessment but your occupation is not one of the 38 and you don't have a job offer, you can apply after you are in Canada on a student visa for 12 months.

If you don't qualify for FSW and you want to apply through CEC, you need 2 years study and 1 year work afterwards.

Radhika

Mar 28, 2009
Leon said:
You should read the immigrate section at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ Especially the provincial nominee programs where you have to look at each one of them for international graduate class but you can also look at Canadian experience class. Some of the PNP's might require you to take at least a 2 year course. You have to make sure that the course you have picked qualifies for their program as well as the school. After you have finished your studies you can apply for a post-grad work permit. Canada will give you a post-grad work permit (open work permit) of no more than 3 years but also only as long as your course was so if you took a 1 year course, 1 year work permit. Then you have to find an employer who will support your application for PR to the provincial program.

If you go through Canadian experience class, you would still have to make sure your school qualifies and your course, I think they require your course to be at least 2 years and you would have to work for a year before you can apply but you would not need employers support or sponsorship.

Once you get PR, you have to live in Canada 3 years (time spent in Canada before PR may count for up to 1 year of that so maybe only 2 years after PR) then you can apply for citizenship.

If you find a PNP that will let you apply with only a year of studies and employer support and you find an employer who will let you apply right away, your timeline would be 1 year studies + 1 year applying for PR + 2 years living in Canada as PR + 1 year processing of citizenship application, give or take 5 years.
Dear Leon,

Kindly help!!!

I am planning to apply for a student visa kindly guide me.

I have done my diploma in electronics & communication engineering (10+3). Kindly suggest me what course can be taken after diploma in EC in toronto for better PR options in future. Currently I am pursuing PGDCA , am I eligible for a graduate certificate course where the requirement of the course is degree or diploma in non computer field + knowledge of computers . Kindly suggest me as I have not done my 11th & 12th will my diploma +PGDCA qualify for a graduate certificate course.

How long will it take to receive an offer letter from a college.

Also within how many days can i reapply after a refusal.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Radhika.