+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to fix Proxy Marriage to be accepted in Canada???

moon light 77

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
how to fix Proxy Marriage to be accepted in Canada??? my husband is in Canada and was planning to travel to me in our home country to complete our marriage, but due to Covid 19 , He didnt come . However we are married by a representative and he was present on line with US. Now, our marriage is legal and proven in our country and we notarized it from the ministery of foreign affairs and the computerized marriage document doesnt have any words indicating it is Proxy.
Now, Is it accepted in Canada if we applied that computerized certificate ?
If he applied for PR Express Entry, what should he do??? Single or married
How to fix proxy marriage to be accepted in Canada??
Is there is any solution to make it accepted either legalization or how in Canada??
Is there is third space we can fix it ?? where are they ???/

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
how to fix Proxy Marriage to be accepted in Canada??? my husband is in Canada and was planning to travel to me in our home country to complete our marriage, but due to Covid 19 , He didnt come . However we are married by a representative and he was present on line with US. Now, our marriage is legal and proven in our country and we notarized it from the ministery of foreign affairs and the computerized marriage document doesnt have any words indicating it is Proxy.
Is there is any solution to make it accepted either legalization or how in Canada??
The only way Canada will recognize your marriage is if you are PHYSICALLY TOGETHER during the wedding. It does not matter that your country accepts it. Get married again, make sure it is not by proxy this time.

moon light 77

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
The only way Canada will recognize your marriage is if you are PHYSICALLY TOGETHER during the wedding. It does not matter that your country accepts it. Get married again, make sure it is not by proxy this time.
what about other questions ??? what should he write in the application of PR ?? single or married
Is there third place for that to fix their marriage in third country or it is not right

Rino_Canada

Dec 1, 2020
Hi there, did you find answers to your questions as I am in the same boat and I don't know what to do next?

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
Hi there, did you find answers to your questions as I am in the same boat and I don't know what to do next?
Same here! have you found any answers to your situation?
I have the computerized certificate and I have been stating that i am married in all government records too. now i have been invited in EE and i am worried they might refuse us because of that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Same here! have you found any answers to your situation?
I have the computerized certificate and I have been stating that i am married in all government records too. now i have been invited in EE and i am worried they might refuse us because of that.
Did you get married by proxy?

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
Did you get married by proxy?
to be honest, I know that by just the definition that I was not there during the ceremony ( i was present on the phone though), IRCC can call it proxy but I would definitely challenge that I was married by proxy.

as I appointed a power of attorney to my brother who signed the papers with my wife (this is completely legal in my country) and I have the final marriage certificate stating our names and everything. I am also applying for immigration as the principal applicant and I have my wife as my beneficiary in my life insurance plan, so no way there is any doubt of enforced marriage which is the reason proxy marriages are restricted in Canada. we have short time of residence together and we have been dating for 6 years before the marriage and have many pictures on social media and everything.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
to be honest, I know that by just the definition that I was not there during the ceremony ( i was present on the phone though), IRCC can call it proxy but I would definitely challenge that I was married by proxy.

as I appointed a power of attorney to my brother who signed the papers with my wife (this is completely legal in my country) and I have the final marriage certificate stating our names and everything. I am also applying for immigration as the principal applicant and I have my wife as my beneficiary in my life insurance plan, so no way there is any doubt of enforced marriage which is the reason proxy marriages are restricted in Canada. we have short time of residence together and we have been dating for 6 years before the marriage and have many pictures on social media and everything.
If you weren't there during the ceremony, then it's a proxy marriage. Canada doesn't recognize proxy marriages. You need to get remarried in person (with both you and your spouse present) in order for the marriage to be recognized by Canada.

If you have lived together for at least one year continuously, then you can include your spouse as a common law partner.

Reactions: dabo

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
If you weren't there during the ceremony, then it's a proxy marriage. Canada doesn't recognize proxy marriages. You need to get remarried in person (with both you and your spouse present) in order for the marriage to be recognized by Canada.

If you have lived together for at least one year continuously, then you can include your spouse as a common law partner.
Thanks for the reply!
Can't I provide the marriage certificate along with an LOE, the life insurance plan, pictures, affidavits. we were living in my parents' house so no rent or bills that would show our names, unfortunately.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply!
Can't I provide the marriage certificate along with an LOE, the life insurance plan, pictures, affidavits. we were living in my parents' house so no rent or bills that would show our names, unfortunately.
Your marriage isn't going to be recognized by Canada.

If you want to apply as common law, you need to prove that you have cohabitated continuously for at least one full year.

Reactions: dabo