+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

!!! How to find a Job in Canada !!! - Must Read!

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Good post Saki.......thanks

Amissa

saki said:
JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Do you have the same chance of getting the job you want everywhere in Canada?

No. Canada is a large country and job opportunities are different for several reasons:

• Each region has job opportunities based on the geography of that area. For example, jobs in forestry, mining and manufacturing are available in different regions of Canada.
• Jobs are also affected by changes in the economy.
• The demand for workers in some occupations and trades, such as farming, fishing and construction, is affected by the season of the year.

Where can you find information and advice on how to find a job?

Human Resources Centres of Canada (HRCC), which specialize in helping people find jobs, can provide you with helpful information. Look in your telephone directory's blue pages for the HRCC or the federal Information Centre in your area. Also, your immigrant- serving agency can help you.

HRCC counsellors and staff may be able to help in several ways:

• tell you about job and language training, and work creation programs for newcomers;
• give you information to plan your job search, tell you where to have your documents translated or where to get help preparing a resume; and
• give you names of immigrant-serving agencies that might have more information.

Each HRCC has a computerized job bank that lists available jobs by occupation or profession, and by location. Read the job descriptions carefully and make sure your application clearly shows your ability to do the work.

Where else are jobs listed?

In the classified advertisements section of daily newspapers. Jobs are advertised according to trade, profession or service industry. Another section called 'Careers' advertises professional or managerial jobs.

The business pages of the newspaper often have information on the local economy and job market.

In many areas, there are weekly or monthly employment papers which advertise jobs. These papers are usually free and are available at many locations.

Employment agencies that hire temporary or contract staff are listed in the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory. You do not have to pay an agency or a company when you are looking for a job. The company that uses your services will pay the agency.

Are there informal sources of information about jobs?

One of the best ways to learn about jobs is to talk to people, either individuals you already know or contacts you have made through trade or professional groups, clubs or associations in your community.

This group of people is called your 'network'. Even if they cannot help you find a job, they can provide you with information, suggestions and names of people to call, as well as support and encouragement.

Should you have a resume?

Yes. Most employers want a list of your skills, education or training, and work and volunteer experience. The resume should be one to three pages, typed, and error-free.

Several sources of help are available if you need it. Job- finding clubs, HRCC counsellors and reception houses may be able to help at no cost. You can buy self-help books or borrow them from a library. For a fee, a company or individual who specializes in writing resumes will help you write one.

What documents do you need to get a job in Canada?

Take most, or all, of the following documents to any job interview. Never leave behind or mail original documents. Photocopies are accepted.

Documents brought with you to Canada:

• passport, birth certificate;
• educational diplomas, degrees and certificates;
• trade or professional certifications, qualifications; and
• letters of recommendation (preferably in English or French).

Documents obtained in Canada:

• Record of Landing (visa);
• Social Insurance Number; and
• Where necessary, professional English or French translations of documents, letters and/or recommendations which may be confusing in another language.

Will you find the job you want quickly?

If you practised a profession or trade in your country of origin, you may need to upgrade your skills to meet Canadian requirements. Your qualifications may not be accepted until you have Canadian documents or training, some work experience and good ability in English or French. Until then, you may have to accept another job.

What steps should you take to find a job?

1. Describe, in realistic terms: (a) the job(s) you want; and (b) the job(s) you would accept while looking for something better.

2. Collect all the documents you might need:

- diplomas, degrees, certificates and other qualifications;
- letters of recommendation;
- Social Insurance Number (SIN); and
- driver's licence (if necessary).

3. Write a resume of your education, work and volunteer experience, skills and qualifications.

4. Learn about the labour market in your area.

5. Start and expand a network of people who might be able to direct you toward a job.

6. Check and follow up on advertisements, want ads and jobs posted in Human Resources Centres of Canada.

7. Attend interviews.

8. Telephone or write back after interviews.

9. Look for as many jobs as you can rather than wait for a particular job to come up.

10. Keep your hopes up and look for support as you continue trying. Finding a job requires hard work and persistence.

What else should you do?

• Improve your English and/or French.
• Gain Canadian work experience even if it is not in your trade, skill or profession.
• Improve your job skills and Canadian credentials. Doing volunteer work may help.
• Understand that your first job in Canada may be the first step toward a better job.

pearl2010

Jul 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2009
Doc's Request.
16-02-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
13-10-2010 to LA(in-process 19-04-2011)Rejection letter on 7 June2011
Good post.+1 from me :)

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
saki said:
Thanks pearl
Excellent Post again from U Sir..!!

Cheers..

JUNER2011

Oct 5, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2011
AOR Received.
August 2011 PER / 2nd AOR : September 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
September 2011
Med's Request
January 2012
Med's Done....
January 2012
Interview........
got waived :-)
Passport Req..
January 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 2012
LANDED..........
June 2012
Thank you very much for this useful post !
regards,
JUNER 2011

rKo

Apr 7, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanx saki, I will read all ur topics specially this one but first let me get my visa hehehe...

JUNER2011

Oct 5, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2011
AOR Received.
August 2011 PER / 2nd AOR : September 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
September 2011
Med's Request
January 2012
Med's Done....
January 2012
Interview........
got waived :-)
Passport Req..
January 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 2012
LANDED..........
June 2012
rKo said:
Thanx saki, I will read all ur topics specially this one but first let me get my visa hehehe...
lol@ rKO

elkhateeb

Feb 16, 2012
dear. thanks for the great information. but I would like you to help me out. as I'm very confused and kinda lost.. I'm egyptian living in egypt and I would like to come to canada and work there. what should I do? how can I get a working visa? and as I've been informed that there are many kind of visa. should I sent my resume to canadian company by mail from here in egypt or I sould come over to Canda first then apply for jobs? and can I get a working visa without a contract from a canadian company?
I can't apply for immegration as the porcedure would take more than 2 years. I know I asked so many question but I hope you would help me out.
thanks

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
saki said:
JOB OPPORTUNITIES
4. Learn about the labour market in your area.

5. Start and expand a network of people who might be able to direct you toward a job.
Welldone
Good job

crazyaboutcanada

Nov 8, 2012
Hi,

I have been applying for Canadain jobs from India for the last 3 months but have not got even a single response. I am a PR visa holder and worked at Toronto for 4 months and returned to india in 2013. I want to come back to Canada now but worried about job and financial settlement. Can you please guide me.

Thanks

chithra.salin

Star Member
Dec 29, 2014
Hi saki...i am network engineer 2281..with 7 years of exp...can u plz help me in following
1 which province to choose when registering in express entry
2 which are the agencies whom I should forward my resume
3 I need job offer to get a pr..is it possible to hunt for jobs in Canada since I am searching them from India.only a valid job offer will fetch a pr for my family

Sivakumar.kh

Apr 22, 2015
Hi Guys,

I need a best consultancy to get PR for Canada. Currently in India having 8 years of experience. (4.5 years in IT). Can any one help me ouy.

Siva