+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

!!! How to find a Job in Canada !!! - Must Read!

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Do you have the same chance of getting the job you want everywhere in Canada?

No. Canada is a large country and job opportunities are different for several reasons:

• Each region has job opportunities based on the geography of that area. For example, jobs in forestry, mining and manufacturing are available in different regions of Canada.
• Jobs are also affected by changes in the economy.
• The demand for workers in some occupations and trades, such as farming, fishing and construction, is affected by the season of the year.

Where can you find information and advice on how to find a job?

Human Resources Centres of Canada (HRCC), which specialize in helping people find jobs, can provide you with helpful information. Look in your telephone directory's blue pages for the HRCC or the federal Information Centre in your area. Also, your immigrant- serving agency can help you.

HRCC counsellors and staff may be able to help in several ways:

• tell you about job and language training, and work creation programs for newcomers;
• give you information to plan your job search, tell you where to have your documents translated or where to get help preparing a resume; and
• give you names of immigrant-serving agencies that might have more information.

Each HRCC has a computerized job bank that lists available jobs by occupation or profession, and by location. Read the job descriptions carefully and make sure your application clearly shows your ability to do the work.

Where else are jobs listed?

In the classified advertisements section of daily newspapers. Jobs are advertised according to trade, profession or service industry. Another section called 'Careers' advertises professional or managerial jobs.

The business pages of the newspaper often have information on the local economy and job market.

In many areas, there are weekly or monthly employment papers which advertise jobs. These papers are usually free and are available at many locations.

Employment agencies that hire temporary or contract staff are listed in the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory. You do not have to pay an agency or a company when you are looking for a job. The company that uses your services will pay the agency.

Are there informal sources of information about jobs?

One of the best ways to learn about jobs is to talk to people, either individuals you already know or contacts you have made through trade or professional groups, clubs or associations in your community.

This group of people is called your 'network'. Even if they cannot help you find a job, they can provide you with information, suggestions and names of people to call, as well as support and encouragement.

Should you have a resume?

Yes. Most employers want a list of your skills, education or training, and work and volunteer experience. The resume should be one to three pages, typed, and error-free.

Several sources of help are available if you need it. Job- finding clubs, HRCC counsellors and reception houses may be able to help at no cost. You can buy self-help books or borrow them from a library. For a fee, a company or individual who specializes in writing resumes will help you write one.

What documents do you need to get a job in Canada?

Take most, or all, of the following documents to any job interview. Never leave behind or mail original documents. Photocopies are accepted.

Documents brought with you to Canada:

• passport, birth certificate;
• educational diplomas, degrees and certificates;
• trade or professional certifications, qualifications; and
• letters of recommendation (preferably in English or French).

Documents obtained in Canada:

• Record of Landing (visa);
• Social Insurance Number; and
• Where necessary, professional English or French translations of documents, letters and/or recommendations which may be confusing in another language.

Will you find the job you want quickly?

If you practised a profession or trade in your country of origin, you may need to upgrade your skills to meet Canadian requirements. Your qualifications may not be accepted until you have Canadian documents or training, some work experience and good ability in English or French. Until then, you may have to accept another job.

What steps should you take to find a job?

1. Describe, in realistic terms: (a) the job(s) you want; and (b) the job(s) you would accept while looking for something better.

2. Collect all the documents you might need:

- diplomas, degrees, certificates and other qualifications;
- letters of recommendation;
- Social Insurance Number (SIN); and
- driver's licence (if necessary).

3. Write a resume of your education, work and volunteer experience, skills and qualifications.

4. Learn about the labour market in your area.

5. Start and expand a network of people who might be able to direct you toward a job.

6. Check and follow up on advertisements, want ads and jobs posted in Human Resources Centres of Canada.

7. Attend interviews.

8. Telephone or write back after interviews.

9. Look for as many jobs as you can rather than wait for a particular job to come up.

10. Keep your hopes up and look for support as you continue trying. Finding a job requires hard work and persistence.

What else should you do?

• Improve your English and/or French.
• Gain Canadian work experience even if it is not in your trade, skill or profession.
• Improve your job skills and Canadian credentials. Doing volunteer work may help.
• Understand that your first job in Canada may be the first step toward a better job.

kchakus

Star Member
May 28, 2010
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Not Yet
Dear Saki,
Another excellent post. It's a starting point for all those who are looking for a job. +1

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saki said:
JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Do you have the same chance of getting the job you want everywhere in Canada?

No. Canada is a large country and job opportunities are different for several reasons:

• Each region has job opportunities based on the geography of that area. For example, jobs in forestry, mining and manufacturing are available in different regions of Canada.
• Jobs are also affected by changes in the economy.
• The demand for workers in some occupations and trades, such as farming, fishing and construction, is affected by the season of the year.

Where can you find information and advice on how to find a job?

Human Resources Centres of Canada (HRCC), which specialize in helping people find jobs, can provide you with helpful information. Look in your telephone directory's blue pages for the HRCC or the federal Information Centre in your area. Also, your immigrant- serving agency can help you.

HRCC counsellors and staff may be able to help in several ways:

• tell you about job and language training, and work creation programs for newcomers;
• give you information to plan your job search, tell you where to have your documents translated or where to get help preparing a resume; and
• give you names of immigrant-serving agencies that might have more information.

Each HRCC has a computerized job bank that lists available jobs by occupation or profession, and by location. Read the job descriptions carefully and make sure your application clearly shows your ability to do the work.

You can also find useful tips on the ConWorkNet Internet site. It provides information on jobs and recruiting, career planning, training and qualifications, the labour market, financial help, and more. The address is: http://www.canworknet.ca/

Where else are jobs listed?

In the classified advertisements section of daily newspapers. Jobs are advertised according to trade, profession or service industry. Another section called 'Careers' advertises professional or managerial jobs.

The business pages of the newspaper often have information on the local economy and job market.

In many areas, there are weekly or monthly employment papers which advertise jobs. These papers are usually free and are available at many locations.

Employment agencies that hire temporary or contract staff are listed in the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory. You do not have to pay an agency or a company when you are looking for a job. The company that uses your services will pay the agency.

The Electronic Labour Exchange (ELE) is an Internet site of Human Resources Development Canada that matches jobs to people and people to jobs. Using ELE, both employers and job seekers can build profiles by choosing from 25,000 recognized career occupations. Both employers and job seekers can then request a "match" based on the completed profiles. The address is: http://ele.ingenia.com

Are there informal sources of information about jobs?

One of the best ways to learn about jobs is to talk to people, either individuals you already know or contacts you have made through trade or professional groups, clubs or associations in your community.

This group of people is called your 'network'. Even if they cannot help you find a job, they can provide you with information, suggestions and names of people to call, as well as support and encouragement.

Should you have a resume?

Yes. Most employers want a list of your skills, education or training, and work and volunteer experience. The resume should be one to three pages, typed, and error-free.

Several sources of help are available if you need it. Job- finding clubs, HRCC counsellors and reception houses may be able to help at no cost. You can buy self-help books or borrow them from a library. For a fee, a company or individual who specializes in writing resumes will help you write one.

What documents do you need to get a job in Canada?

Take most, or all, of the following documents to any job interview. Never leave behind or mail original documents. Photocopies are accepted.

Documents brought with you to Canada:

• passport, birth certificate;
• educational diplomas, degrees and certificates;
• trade or professional certifications, qualifications; and
• letters of recommendation (preferably in English or French).

Documents obtained in Canada:

• Record of Landing (visa);
• Social Insurance Number; and
• Where necessary, professional English or French translations of documents, letters and/or recommendations which may be confusing in another language.

Will you find the job you want quickly?

If you practised a profession or trade in your country of origin, you may need to upgrade your skills to meet Canadian requirements. Your qualifications may not be accepted until you have Canadian documents or training, some work experience and good ability in English or French. Until then, you may have to accept another job.

What steps should you take to find a job?

1. Describe, in realistic terms: (a) the job(s) you want; and (b) the job(s) you would accept while looking for something better.

2. Collect all the documents you might need:

- diplomas, degrees, certificates and other qualifications;
- letters of recommendation;
- Social Insurance Number (SIN); and
- driver's licence (if necessary).

3. Write a resume of your education, work and volunteer experience, skills and qualifications.

4. Learn about the labour market in your area.

5. Start and expand a network of people who might be able to direct you toward a job.

6. Check and follow up on advertisements, want ads and jobs posted in Human Resources Centres of Canada.

7. Attend interviews.

8. Telephone or write back after interviews.

9. Look for as many jobs as you can rather than wait for a particular job to come up.

10. Keep your hopes up and look for support as you continue trying. Finding a job requires hard work and persistence.

What else should you do?

• Improve your English and/or French.
• Gain Canadian work experience even if it is not in your trade, skill or profession.
• Improve your job skills and Canadian credentials. Doing volunteer work may help.
• Understand that your first job in Canada may be the first step toward a better job.
Dear Saki,
Thanks a lot for your nice post. I read it very attentively. Do you have any suggestion where should I have to land as Chemical Engineer or experienced in Dyeing sector?

Tonu

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tonucml said:
Dear Saki,
Thanks a lot for your nice post. I read it very attentively. Do you have any suggestion where should I have to land as Chemical Engineer or experienced in Dyeing sector?

Tonu

Thanks Tonu, for chemical engineers i heard Calgary is the place to be, seniors who are already in Canada can put some more light on this.

Cheers
saki

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks bro for pulling up all these useful info at our ready to use disposal.... Long live... +1 for you

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saki said:
Thanks Tonu, for chemical engineers i heard Calgary is the place to be, seniors who are already in Canada can put some more light on this.

Cheers
saki
Ok thanks for your reply. But my nominated province is Toronto, Ontario. Will i able to migrate from Ontario to Calgary after receiving my PR meanwhile if i get the chance to land over there?

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tonucml said:
Ok thanks for your reply. But my nominated province is Toronto, Ontario. Will i able to migrate from Ontario to Calgary after receiving my PR meanwhile if i get the chance to land over there?
Yes i heard once you land you can move to other state and its only Qubec applicants who have some restrictions.

Cheers
Saki

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
Excellent info . Thanx a lot .

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saki said:
Yes i heard once you land you can move to other state and its only Qubec applicants who have some restrictions.

Cheers
Saki
Thanks again for your quick response. After landing and fulfilling every formalities in Toronto try to move in Calgary though weather is very tough in that place.

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tonucml said:
Thanks again for your quick response. After landing and fulfilling every formalities in Toronto try to move in Calgary though weather is very tough in that place.
yeah weather is tought no doubt, but if one can get a good job then weather is not a big problem. one of my friends brother is in Calgary he is a chemical engineer as well and i heard from him that petroleum industry is in calgary.

Cheers
Saki

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saki said:
yeah weather is tought no doubt, but if one can get a good job then weather is not a big problem. one of my friends brother is in Calgary he is a chemical engineer as well and i heard from him that petroleum industry is in calgary.

Cheers
Saki
Really i am happy after hearing from you. Take care.

Classical_beat

Champion Member
Oct 12, 2010
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oh thanks saki for your great effort. these information are necessary for all of us. But http://www.canworknet.ca/ this site doesn't contain any information about job . It is about Valium at health care pharmacy . and the 2nd one http://ele.ingenia.com/ is not opening.

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Classical_beat said:
oh thanks saki for your great effort. these information are necessary for all of us. But http://www.canworknet.ca/ this site doesn't contain any information about job . It is about Valium at health care pharmacy . and the 2nd one http://ele.ingenia.com/ is not opening.
Not sure why second one is not opening and about the first one they might have changed it i will try to find the current one and will post it.

Cheers
Saki