+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to find a job from abroad?

mahyawa88

Nov 5, 2016
Greetings!

I'm just going to jump straight to the question ..

I don't hold a PR nor a job offer!
How do I get a job offer while I'm abroad and you don't even have a PR?

What is the easiest way to migrate or find a job in Canada?

Thanks and regards!

Seeker16

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
12-04-2017
mahyawa88 said:
Greetings!

I'm just going to jump straight to the question ..

Thanks and regards!
Pray.....that could possibly help

Theoretically you can find it via jobbank or other sources, but it does not work in reality much.
What is your CRS score? cause maximum that you can get for it is add. 200 points morelikely even 50.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
mahyawa88 said:

If easy is the key word, don't bother and stay where you are. Even praying won't get you to Canada.

metallica.kyoto

Star Member
May 15, 2013
foodie69 said:
If easy is the key word, don't bother and stay where you are. Even praying won't get you to Canada.
why so negative bro?
Is it so bad in reality?
Canada has presence of all global companies and I wonder why would people have issues in finding a reasonable job.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
metallica.kyoto said:
why so negative bro?
Is it so bad in reality?
Canada has presence of all global companies and I wonder why would people have issues in finding a reasonable job.
The whole issue is way to complex to explain in simple words. It has nothing to do with being negative.. finding a reasonable job while outside Canada will be extremely difficult. Your job offer has to be approved and the prospective employer has to proof no Canadian can do the job. You see, not that easy.

OP has no job offer, no PR, nothing..dreaming is fine, hoping is okay, but reality unfortunately is hard. I recommend, the OP should have a look here if s/he is serious about Canada, if not, disappointment is looming.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

zervino

Jul 27, 2015
why so negative bro?
Is it so bad in reality?
I agree with the previous comment. If you have no PR, you must be an international leading figure in some area to get a chance to being sponsored.
I have been one year in Canada with PR and no job yet. Masters degree, several years international experience and nothing. Moving back to Europe now (got in one week more interviews that in Canada in a year).

So yeah, dreaming is free, but it won't change the outcome.

Seeker16

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
12-04-2017
zervino said:
I agree with the previous comment. If you have no PR, you must be an international leading figure in some area to get a chance to being sponsored.
I have been one year in Canada with PR and no job yet. Masters degree, several years international experience and nothing. Moving back to Europe now (got in one week more interviews that in Canada in a year).

Really???? It is going to put all my immigration process under suspect. I seriously start to think about declining that idea...
What is your position? What province/s did you stay?

zervino

Jul 27, 2015
Really?Huh It is going to put all my immigration process under suspect. I seriously start to think about declining that idea...
What is your position? What province/s did you stay?
What process do you mean?

I'm in Montreal. I'm an engineer with top mba and also speak French.
The best (and pretty much only) interview was in Toronto.
I have even applied to jobs that barely required a university degree, entry jobs, etc.
The answer was almost always the same, they want someone with previous "Canadian experience".

Here you have a good article from Macleans about how hard finding a job is for foreigners (with PR):
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/land-of-misfortune/

I'm sure there are many success stories, but the norm is that new comers struggle the first year to get a mediocre job. Slowly improve after the first year and, with some luck, some years later they get a job at the same level as the one they had in their origin country.

So yes, there are a lot of people who get the PR and leave after a year (I include myself here). Though usually you hear the success stories, the ones who remain in Canada.

Until I gave up a couple of months ago, the best I was getting was being contacted to work freelance in IT (not really my field, but no choice) for double the minimum wage and still being rejected because there are people willing to do the job for even less (there are many people with PR dying to get Canadian experience, it is the gateway to a better job).

After applying for a week in Europe, I was contacted for several interviews in multinationals and top consulting firms in a few countries. (Currently in between interview rounds).
This situation was unthinkable for me in Canada.

Seeker16

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
12-04-2017
zervino said:
What process do you mean?

I'm in Montreal. I'm an engineer with top mba and also speak French.
The best (and pretty much only) interview was in Toronto.
I have even applied to jobs that barely required a university degree, entry jobs, etc.
The answer was almost always the same, they want someone with previous "Canadian experience".

Here you have a good article from Macleans about how hard finding a job is for foreigners (with PR):
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/land-of-misfortune/

I'm sure there are many success stories, but the norm is that new comers struggle the first year to get a mediocre job. Slowly improve after the first year and, with some luck, some years later they get a job at the same level as the one they had in their origin country.

So yes, there are a lot of people who get the PR and leave after a year (I include myself here). Though usually you hear the success stories, the ones who remain in Canada.

Until I gave up a couple of months ago, the best I was getting was being contacted to work freelance in IT (not really my field, but no choice) for double the minimum wage and still being rejected because there are people willing to do the job for even less (there are many people with PR dying to get Canadian experience, it is the gateway to a better job).

After applying for a week in Europe, I was contacted for several interviews in multinationals and top consulting firms in a few countries. (Currently in between interview rounds).
This situation was unthinkable for me in Canada.
The "whole" mental process, mailnly giving up everything that I have here in hope to get better life standards in Canada (education, medicine, salary etc.)
I wouldn't say that I live in a disaster now, if the situation with "appropriate" employment is problem in Canada..... does it worth even try to move there?
I am not seeking for easy life and easy money, I am ready for work, and hard work too... but your description is so pessimistic.
You have master's degree, Int. experinence, Engineer, mba, speak english/french and no job offer for a year, with quite good characteristics. I do not know how strong was your desire to find a job, but I believe it's pretty much the same as we have.
Just want to be confident before making last step, don't want to come back to homecountry disappointed and angry. life is too short, want to spend it wisely.

zervino

Jul 27, 2015
The "whole" mental process, mailnly giving up everything that I have here in hope to get better life standards in Canada (education, medicine, salary etc.)
I wouldn't say that I live in a disaster now, if the situation with "appropriate" employment is problem in Canada..... does it worth even try to move there?
I am not seeking for easy life and easy money, I am ready for work, and hard work too... but your description is so pessimistic.
You have master's degree, Int. experinence, Engineer, mba, speak english/french and no job offer for a year, with quite good characteristics. I do not know how strong was your desire to find a job, but I believe it's pretty much the same as we have.
Just want to be confident before making last step, don't want to come back to homecountry disappointed and angry. life is too short, want to spend it wisely.
I was very optimistic and energetic when I arrived here, but one year gets long.

In general, you shouldn't come here if you are thinking of career or professional reasons alone. Most likely it will be a step back and it will take you a few years to get a similar job to what you now have.
On the other hand, if you come from a poor/developing country, then here you will get free healthcare, freedom, safety, free education, etc.

The common feedback I hear from most immigrant friends here is that they came here for their families. That they know that professionally they are doing far worse than in their home countries, but they know that their kids will have a better future.
In general a lot of the immigration to Canada comes from India, China, Pakistan, Philippines, etc. People willing to take a blue collar job in Canada for its added social benefits than being a white collar in their origin countries.

I'm sure there are many success stories, and usually you only hear the success stories, people who are excited to tell how great their life now is. The many people who decided to leave are usually not posting their failures.

In my particular situation, I came here for personal reasons. But in my case, Canada doesn't offer anything that I didn't already have in Western Europe (and personally I find Europe better than Canada, but here I'm biased).
So I was willing to sacrifice career, but I'm not going to work in a call center selling insurances, when in Europe I worked in good paying jobs in multinationals.

So at the end, it depends on how good your job and situation is and how bad your country is. Make your pros/cons list and decide whether it is worthy to move and try.

Anyway, for immigration for professional reasons you have better places: USA and Western Europe value more your foreign experience and chances are that you will get a job in line to what you now have.

On the upside, I admit that, socially, people here are very friendly and welcoming. Winters here are tough, but not as bad as I thought.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Here's the question you have to ask yourself -- "What do I have to offer that is not available from anyone in Canada?" If the answer to that question isn't clear, then ask a second one: "Why would a Canadian company want to go to the extra expense, trouble, and uncertainty of hiring me?"

Here are a couple of anecdotes (I'm an American with a bachelor degree from a Canadian university, and two master degrees; in other words, no language or educational barriers at all):

When I was emigrating to Canada, I hoped to find a job after my PR was in process but before it was approved, to make the move as seamless as possible. I figured that the one thing I had to offer companies was a willingness to work ANYWHERE in Canada. I applied to jobs in fly-in communities in northern Saskatchewan, Nunavut, elsewhere. One person wrote back, from an adult education program in one of the most blighted communities in all of the Western hemisphere, one of the Innu communities of northern Labrador that's been destroyed by the government. He said that I sounded like I'd be a good fit for the job, write back when I could work legally.

This might have been different if I'd had a specialized professional degree, like education, which could have gotten me hired provisionally or something, in some provinces, in special situations. Do you?

After I received my PR, I moved to Victoria, where the job market is terrible. Why did I do that? I figured that I could apply for jobs across Canada (that works in the States). In Canada, it didn't. No one would interview me, and I think I know why. I needed a job badly -- so I applied for jobs I was overqualified for. But if you're hiring for a half-time adult education teacher in Thunder Bay, why would you interview a guy in Victoria with two master's degrees? The guy is clearly desperate to move 4000 km to earn 500 bucks a week. He'll leave as soon as he gets a proper job offer. Hire someone with the right qualifications. I also applied for jobs like this. But so did local people -- if you're exactly qualified, the hiring manager will prefer someone else who is qualified, or overqualified, who lives in the community. As for underqualified, well -- why bother?

Canada is really a tiny country, small cities spread out across an immense distance. Canadians do not move around as easily as Americans do -- finding your first job here is tough, and it's almost impossible when you're not even legal yet. I did it by moving to Alberta, which 4 years ago had an exceptional job market, where a newcomer could get a foothold. That's not true anymore, and I don't think there are any easy answers.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
zervino said:

I experienced this same thing -- came to Canada, zilch for a year. I took a job in Montana, and used that as a jumping-off point to find a job in Alberta and move permanently.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Seeker16 said:
If you come to Canada, it has to be because you want to be Canadian -- that's what immigration is. If you'll be satisfied here with a stable job as a janitor and the chance to do better, then come. If you want to be wealthy and respected, then I suggest you stay where you are. Immigration really is immigration, it's not a job-upgrading scheme.

As for your implication that zervino didn't want a job, that's a nasty thing to suggest -- you find a job by being qualified and sending in applications, not by 'wanting' it so badly that a job falls in your lap. When no one interviews you for anything, there is not a thing you can do about it. It is a maddening experience.

zervino

Jul 27, 2015
If you come to Canada, it has to be because you want to be Canadian -- that's what immigration is. If you'll be satisfied here with a stable job as a janitor and the chance to do better, then come. If you want to be wealthy and respected, then I suggest you stay where you are. Immigration really is immigration, it's not a job-upgrading scheme.

As for your implication that zervino didn't want a job, that's a nasty thing to suggest -- you find a job by being qualified and sending in applications, not by 'wanting' it so badly that a job falls in your lap. When no one interviews you for anything, there is not a thing you can do about it. It is a maddening experience.
I did want a job, I just didn't get any. It is true that I haven't applied to janitor roles. It obviously depends on the background of each person, not everyone is willing to work for a fourth of their previous salary.

I have lived in different countries and I always found a job in line with my qualifications.
Immigrating doesn't mean that you must be a 2nd class citizen.

Canada is different and it is take it or leave it (like any other country). I agree that Canada requires full commitment, if you move here it is a long term decision. Other countries are more permissive to move there for a couple of years, experience the country, enjoy it and move on.

There are many companies taking advantage of this situation, they know that many foreigners are dying to get Canadian experience and they can afford to offer bad conditions and still foreigners will take it. (At least at university degree level)

zervino

Jul 27, 2015
Here's the question you have to ask yourself -- "What do I have to offer that is not available from anyone in Canada?" If the answer to that question isn't clear, then ask a second one: "Why would a Canadian company want to go to the extra expense, trouble, and uncertainty of hiring me?"

Here are a couple of anecdotes (I'm an American with a bachelor degree from a Canadian university, and two master degrees; in other words, no language or educational barriers at all):

When I was emigrating to Canada, I hoped to find a job after my PR was in process but before it was approved, to make the move as seamless as possible. I figured that the one thing I had to offer companies was a willingness to work ANYWHERE in Canada. I applied to jobs in fly-in communities in northern Saskatchewan, Nunavut, elsewhere. One person wrote back, from an adult education program in one of the most blighted communities in all of the Western hemisphere, one of the Innu communities of northern Labrador that's been destroyed by the government. He said that I sounded like I'd be a good fit for the job, write back when I could work legally.

This might have been different if I'd had a specialized professional degree, like education, which could have gotten me hired provisionally or something, in some provinces, in special situations. Do you?

After I received my PR, I moved to Victoria, where the job market is terrible. Why did I do that? I figured that I could apply for jobs across Canada (that works in the States). In Canada, it didn't. No one would interview me, and I think I know why. I needed a job badly -- so I applied for jobs I was overqualified for. But if you're hiring for a half-time adult education teacher in Thunder Bay, why would you interview a guy in Victoria with two master's degrees? The guy is clearly desperate to move 4000 km to earn 500 bucks a week. He'll leave as soon as he gets a proper job offer. Hire someone with the right qualifications. I also applied for jobs like this. But so did local people -- if you're exactly qualified, the hiring manager will prefer someone else who is qualified, or overqualified, who lives in the community. As for underqualified, well -- why bother?

Canada is really a tiny country, small cities spread out across an immense distance. Canadians do not move around as easily as Americans do -- finding your first job here is tough, and it's almost impossible when you're not even legal yet. I did it by moving to Alberta, which 4 years ago had an exceptional job market, where a newcomer could get a foothold. That's not true anymore, and I don't think there are any easy answers.
I admire your commitment to Canada. You need a good reason to go through all that struggle, when it seems that you could have easily found a nice job in California.

But you can see from the questions of most PR applicants, that they assume that they will work in their field as soon as they land. And the reality for many new comers is that it takes them years and lots of effort to retake their careers.

Other countries will value your previous experience. But Canada, in general, requires you to start your career almost from scratch. Get Canadian degrees, certifications, etc. and Canadian work experience.